Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

For a home remedy, mix equal amounts of sulphur and lard, mix well, apply to the affected area and cover completely with a bandaid. My dad used this on me when I was a kid. I recently got ringworm again and am treating it this way. This works really well and costs next to nothing. You can pick up sulphur at the drug store and the lard is something everyone has in their kitchen.

Published: July 15

Prescription 2% ketoconazole shampoo clears it right up for me. It's the only thing I've found that works. My doctor also gave me some ketoconazole cream to apply for a few weeks. I still get it back every summer though because I am a runner and frequently run outside in the hot (hence sweaty) weather.

Published: June 30

Lotrimin Ultra is very effective. It is used for Athlete's foot and is found at Wal-Mart, and/or Walgreens. It's about $12 or so. Within less than a week, you start to see the ringworm diminish. I put it on there for about two weeks total to be safe rather than sorry.

Published: June 09

I have used Mennen Skin Conditioner for years to treat Ringworm and Athletes feet. For the most part, it has alcohol and a small amount of Salsylic (don't know the spelling) acid. It has worked effectively for me, but it is getting harder to find in drug stores. They usually can order it for you.

Published: May 29

I have a baby of 1.5 yrs old and she got ringworm all over her legs and it gradually spreading every where in her body. We tried with anti fungal hydrozole cream but it burns the skin makes the skin white and it's not an effective cure.

Published: May 29

I have had ringworm on my arms and legs the only thing that works is rubbing the effected area with rubbing alcohol after I showered and dried off then applying Lamisill advanced cream. I did this twice a day for 2 weeks my ringworm was the size off a dime and spread in to 10 more dime size fungal infections just by skin to skin contact. I tried all kinds of brands to kill this fungal infections and no other fungal treatment worked. I believe the rubbing alcohol helped greatly in drying up my ringworm and the Lamisill advanced cream also had alcohol in it.

Comment from: lltcounselor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I ditto the comment that Lotrimin is very effective. We live in the country and some years the fungal plant to transfer the ringworm to the animals is very high. When my kids got ringworm, I would clean the area and apply Lotrimin (liberally) and then I would put a band aid on the sore. The important part is to keep them from touching the sore and spreading it to other places. That is why I covered it with a band aid and instructed them not to touch it. With a week or so, the sore would disappear and I would keep applying the Lotrimin for another 7 days. I used the spray Lotrimin on my dogs when they get ringworm and it helps soothe them from scratching and is effective at clearing it up.

Comment from: debbiestar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My 10 year old son has ringworm on his head. As a result the doctor told me it is in the late stages this frightens me because by this time he had a bald patch and I was told the hair will never grow back. I was given (Stiefel) Tarmed shampoo, (ketoconazole 2%) Ketoxal topical cream, Terekol cream (Terbinafine) and half of a Lamisil tablet to be taken for 2 weeks. It has been about 2 months and he's still on treatment. I prayed this medicine will work, 2 days ago I saw some signs of improvements and the hair is actually growing back little by little but I have to take him to the doctor every 3 weeks until it is completely healed.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?