Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: mandy33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

It is Wednesday and last Friday I rescued a stray kitten and got ringworm. Well, I started getting itchy and then where the kitten had sat, I got red bumps (breast and torso). I read a ton of forums and researched it forever. I have tried cream, tea tree oil, nail polish and iodine. Finally last night I found out about Neem oil and bought it this morning. I have been applying it today and already I see results.

Comment from: BisongDuso, Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I suffered ring worm for over 7 months. Well, I tried almost all medicines for skin problems but, they all failed me. Finally, I discovered that the already used cooking oil can help treat my ringworm. It is the best cure for it.

Comment from: Been there Done That, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Use anything with tar and sulfur in it, such as Selsun Blue shampoo.

Comment from: Mobbsqaad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Blue Star ointment has been effective for my ringworm.

Comment from: earnski, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Dermovate cream is very good for ringworm. Clobetasol propionate I think is the generic name. Check at the nearest pharmacy!

Comment from: whisk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Creams seem to work for my ringworm when used consistently yet can be costly. I have found that infrared heat kills the fungus (use cautiously as not to burn your skin) but expose regularly. Dry skin also appears to be a culprit to breed ringworm.

Comment from: Ramo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My son (almost 2) and I both got ringworm from a kitten. We're in the process of getting rid of it but it seems extremely difficult. He's got only one in his back and I had two that responded to treatment but immediately afterwards, a bunch appeared. We've been to the dermatologist and followed his advice and used Nizoral. His lesions seem to fade away.

Comment from: yorkie004, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I used essential tea tree oil to treat my dog for ringworm, and can swear by it. It does pong a little, but it really is good stuff. If you find the pure oil a little too smelly, you can try the cream version. It still works, but it may require more applications and certainly more days.

Published: May 11

I contracted ringworm from an infected kitten and it's a bugger to eradicate. I tried every cream at the pharmacy and nothing worked. I even tried bleach, no dice. Then I remembered black walnut extract. Get it at the health food store in pure form, no tinctures and apply it directly. The biggest problem I found with the ringworm on my arm is the running (in Florida there is a particularly nasty form of it, not just crusty and itchy but running and leaking lesions). Apply it directly and the running stops immediately. It seals off the lesion and it has a chance to heal. Also found that a topical dose iodine and ammonia in tincture form stops the spreading. It stings like crazy and smells awful but it stops the spreading. It takes six weeks to cure it so be sure to treat it two to three times a day and use band aides to cover it so it doesn't spread. This form is very painful and in a tropical climate it is hard to get rid of. I also agree that it must be dealt with internally as well as externally, so drops of black walnut in water once a day as well as the external application to the lesion helps keep it in check.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?