Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: jodi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had ringworm for nine months. I tried everything: over the counter medications, prescriptions medications, and everything on these message boards including painting them with fingernail polish. Tea tree oil is amazing. It stopped spreading, itching and the bigger patches are gone. I still have some lingering spots but this stuff is amazing.

Comment from: DPS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My 2 daughters (11 and 14) and I went to a water park in August. Within a week we all had these round marks that seemed to grow, turn red and scaly. Mine was over my upper lip, my daughter on her cheek, the other on the inside of her forearm. I brought them to their pediatrician who diagnosed ringworm. He saw my mouth and was kind enough to give me a prescription too: Lamisil applied twice daily "killed" the ugly fungus within 2 weeks.

Comment from: mandy33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

It is Wednesday and last Friday I rescued a stray kitten and got ringworm. Well, I started getting itchy and then where the kitten had sat, I got red bumps (breast and torso). I read a ton of forums and researched it forever. I have tried cream, tea tree oil, nail polish and iodine. Finally last night I found out about Neem oil and bought it this morning. I have been applying it today and already I see results.

Comment from: Scott67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I was diagnosed with ringworm in March by a doctor and I still have it. The article indicated that it usually lasts 3 to 4 weeks. I use the clotrimazole 1 to 2 times/day. It is better, but just doesn't go away. I am baffled at what I can need to do to eradicate this.

Comment from: BisongDuso, Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I suffered ring worm for over 7 months. Well, I tried almost all medicines for skin problems but, they all failed me. Finally, I discovered that the already used cooking oil can help treat my ringworm. It is the best cure for it.

Comment from: Been there Done That, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Use anything with tar and sulfur in it, such as Selsun Blue shampoo.

Comment from: Mobbsqaad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Blue Star ointment has been effective for my ringworm.

Comment from: earnski, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Dermovate cream is very good for ringworm. Clobetasol propionate I think is the generic name. Check at the nearest pharmacy!

Comment from: whisk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Creams seem to work for my ringworm when used consistently yet can be costly. I have found that infrared heat kills the fungus (use cautiously as not to burn your skin) but expose regularly. Dry skin also appears to be a culprit to breed ringworm.

Comment from: Ramo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My son (almost 2) and I both got ringworm from a kitten. We're in the process of getting rid of it but it seems extremely difficult. He's got only one in his back and I had two that responded to treatment but immediately afterwards, a bunch appeared. We've been to the dermatologist and followed his advice and used Nizoral. His lesions seem to fade away.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?