Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

Here is something to add to your arsenal to fight the problem. Fungus doesn't like salt and needs moisture. Those are facts. Try applying a salt paste often to the ringworm rash or at minimum rinse your hair in salt water and don't wash out the salt. The sodium will kill it and make a poor environment to grow if you keep your scalp salty and the skin will dry depriving it of moisture. Also salt is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce itching and inflammation. Sometimes salt can cause itching so there is a balance to find depending on your situation. The skin fungus will dry out and turn black, then only after it turns black like a scab, you use a very little bit of Vaseline to put on it and eventually the black scab will loosen and fall off because Vaseline softens the dead scab. It takes a while but continually making the scalp inhospitable to fungus works for you. The salt thing is cheap to try too.

Comment from: SFbay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Whole foods (on order from amazon online) carries the product Candidase by Enzymedica. These are enzyme pills that you take by mouth throughout the day on an empty stomach. I have found them effective at treating underarm ringworm. Candidase still takes 2 weeks to work, and should be continued for an additional week, but at least it works. The Lamisil cream (topical antifungal) only seemed to make it worse.

Comment from: Natural Healing, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

Use Raw African Black Soap. Shower with it. Also lather it up and apply the lather to the ringworm affected area and leave it on overnight. It begins to work in a matter of hours. By the next day you will see a big difference. Buy it in beauty supply stores or order it online.

Comment from: SilverCrow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

After suffering with ringworm for 2 months, I"ve tried almost every over counter athlete foot and anti-fungus cream and spray. I also tried 100% tea tree oil as well as nail polish. None of the above seem to work or work very slow. I finally found an ointment called "Blue Star Ointment" that's been around since 1920. You can buy it at Walmart for under $6. It takes about 3 to 4 days instead of weeks to see result. This ointment is absolutely amazing! My ringworm is almost gone and it"s only been 4 days.

Comment from: Finally, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

After years of having these ringworms on my hands nothing worked, creams over the counter, from prescription, natural remedies; until I tried liquid wart remover. This did the trick after years of trial and error.

Comment from: Mandy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

For ringworm, I tried Selsun Blue, the one with the little beads. I applied it, let it dry and rinsed it an hour later. It is better than the creams, I've used up to tubes of creams the doctor gave me and I only had to use Selsun Blue for two days!

Comment from: jodi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had ringworm for nine months. I tried everything: over the counter medications, prescriptions medications, and everything on these message boards including painting them with fingernail polish. Tea tree oil is amazing. It stopped spreading, itching and the bigger patches are gone. I still have some lingering spots but this stuff is amazing.

Comment from: DPS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My 2 daughters (11 and 14) and I went to a water park in August. Within a week we all had these round marks that seemed to grow, turn red and scaly. Mine was over my upper lip, my daughter on her cheek, the other on the inside of her forearm. I brought them to their pediatrician who diagnosed ringworm. He saw my mouth and was kind enough to give me a prescription too: Lamisil applied twice daily "killed" the ugly fungus within 2 weeks.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?