Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: Ramo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My son (almost 2) and I both got ringworm from a kitten. We're in the process of getting rid of it but it seems extremely difficult. He's got only one in his back and I had two that responded to treatment but immediately afterwards, a bunch appeared. We've been to the dermatologist and followed his advice and used Nizoral. His lesions seem to fade away.

Comment from: yorkie004, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I used essential tea tree oil to treat my dog for ringworm, and can swear by it. It does pong a little, but it really is good stuff. If you find the pure oil a little too smelly, you can try the cream version. It still works, but it may require more applications and certainly more days.

Published: May 11

I contracted ringworm from an infected kitten and it's a bugger to eradicate. I tried every cream at the pharmacy and nothing worked. I even tried bleach, no dice. Then I remembered black walnut extract. Get it at the health food store in pure form, no tinctures and apply it directly. The biggest problem I found with the ringworm on my arm is the running (in Florida there is a particularly nasty form of it, not just crusty and itchy but running and leaking lesions). Apply it directly and the running stops immediately. It seals off the lesion and it has a chance to heal. Also found that a topical dose iodine and ammonia in tincture form stops the spreading. It stings like crazy and smells awful but it stops the spreading. It takes six weeks to cure it so be sure to treat it two to three times a day and use band aides to cover it so it doesn't spread. This form is very painful and in a tropical climate it is hard to get rid of. I also agree that it must be dealt with internally as well as externally, so drops of black walnut in water once a day as well as the external application to the lesion helps keep it in check.

Comment from: sublime, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

My wife and I rescued a kitten off the streets of Beijing and the kitten had ringworm all over her body. We took her straight to the vet and they treated her with Itraconazole (an oral anti-fungal medication) and Terbinafine spray (a topical anti-fungal treatment). After twelve days we took the cat home and treated her ourselves. She was cured in total twenty-six days, she has no ringworm. She is still on the medication, and will be for another month. Just today, i felt an itch on my hand and noticed a faint red half circle. I immediately sprayed it with the kitten is Terbinafine spray and I watched it disappear in about an hour. Four hours later I could feel an itch again in the exact same place on my hand, a very faint red soft circle began to appear. I sprayed it again with Terbinafine spray and it disappeared within 20 - 25 minutes, right before my very eyes! The vet told me it will be ok, and cured completely within six days. It's now been 8 hours and my hand is totally free of the ringworm, I hope it stays that way. I will spray it in the same place once more before I go to bed and hopefully that will hold off the ringworm while i sleep. All I can say is be very aggressive in treatment and treat the area affected area ASAP. Even if its not ringworm, over the counter topical anti-fungal spray will not harm you. As I said be aggressive, that is how we cured our kitten. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I will win the ringworm war.

Comment from: Mom F., 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My husband has suffered on and off with what is called tinea versicolor - a skin discoloration which is very itchy, and is also caused by a fungus like ringworm. After trying many products, Lamisil for one, we just could not get this under control and over the summer it spread all over his back and any other sweat point he had. Through a combination of using tea tree oil soap, and pure GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) in oil form, he totally cured the tinea versicolor. The GSE also worked quickly on my 8 year old, who had one ringworm spot, and now my 11 year old has one which we are treating with GSE. (I mention the other incidents because I feel they are all related.) It stings a bit when you apply it, but it dries out the ring quickly if applied several times per day. We also take natural colloidal silver.

Comment from: Margee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have found a product that works very fast to clear up ringworm on my hand. And the treatment also stops the itching. However, it is not marketed for that purpose. I realize that ringworm is a fungus, but the OTC products did not work for me. I even tried scraping, but it continued to slowly spread until I tried a counter-attack with alternating two OTC anti-bacterials: Benzalkonium chloride and Ethyl Alcohol and keeping the area very dry. Both kill bacteria on contact. The Benzalkonium is found in Band-Aid Antiseptic Wash, and the Ethyl Alcohol is found in GermX Hand Sanitizer. After washing my hands thoroughly, I towel-dry very well, apply the Benzalkonium, air dry my hand, and then apply the Ethyl Alcohol, and let that air dry as well. When working around water during the day, I use disposable plastic gloves over my hands to keep it totally dry, and the remainder of the day, I let my hand be exposed to light, but not to heat. Within less than a week, my hand has no more tiny eruptions (I call them micro-blisters), and the area is dried up. It will take two more weeks for the skin to slough off normally to expose new unaffected skin. Hope this helps someone.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?