Patient Comments: Ringworm - Is it Contagious?

How do you think you caught ringworm?

Comment from: tmb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I got ringworm on underneath my breast after taking a hot tub soak in my gym. I wondered why my nails were green. That was because the gym knew that fungus thrives in warm moist areas.

Comment from: ringworm what!?, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

For days I had noticed sores on my dogs and kept messing with them. Then I turn up with ringworm on my neck. Turns out our 2 dogs and kitty have it. From the sizes on the dogs, they had it first. When explaining to my vet that they only go in our backyard or my car, he explained that they can get it from the dirt. Since the weather has been warm, they have been rolling in the grass/dirt like crazy! They gave it to my kitten (indoors only) and to myself and my oldest son. Our other cat, who does go outside, has not gotten it. He doesn't roll but does snuggle with the dogs and kitten. So I guess what they say, 'some can fight it off' is correct. Because he's certainly been exposed to it. I read that after 2 days of treatment it's no longer contagious, seems to be accurate since neither the toddler nor my husband have gotten it (and they handle all the animals and are exposed to myself and other son).

Comment from: tips101, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I got my ringworm from volleyball. To save money we re-use our knee pads. The person who had these knee pads before me had ring worm. And I now have it.

Comment from: MacDoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I may have come in contact with ringworm from trying on clothing at Macy's. Once I got home, I noticed the ring circle on my stomach.

Comment from: dtily, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught ringworm because a stranger used my towel.

Comment from: RINGWORM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had ringworm since 2 weeks. I have applied many creams but no change.

Comment from: nena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I woke up and had a little spot that itched so I thought I got bit in the night by something. Then over the next few days it got round so I started anti-fungal cream now the ringworm infection is getting better.

Comment from: Dogwalker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I caught this from either 1) one of my client"s dogs that I walk or 2) one of the rescued feral kittens that I"ve helped capture recently. It started as a burning sensation under my right arm. It felt like razor burn at first, then a few days later I had the ring of fire. I am on day 3 of OTC treatment 2 to 3 times a day. It"s starting to calm down a bit and isn"t growing, so that"s a good sign. I might have to continue with the antifungal creams and powders for a few weeks.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm 45 and looking back over the last decade I seem to get ringworm when I am at a low ebb, either severe stress or post sickness. It is now returning again on my hands. I have spent the last 4 days in bed with a nasty cold with high temperature and general malaise. Last September was the last time it reared its ugly head; then I was under an enormous amount of personal stress. It is always one or the other with my bouts of ringworm.

Ringworm - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?