Patient Comments: Ringworm - Is it Contagious?

How do you think you caught ringworm?

Comment from: MacDoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I may have come in contact with ringworm from trying on clothing at Macy's. Once I got home, I noticed the ring circle on my stomach.

Comment from: dtily, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught ringworm because a stranger used my towel.

Comment from: Dogwalker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I caught this from either 1) one of my client"s dogs that I walk or 2) one of the rescued feral kittens that I"ve helped capture recently. It started as a burning sensation under my right arm. It felt like razor burn at first, then a few days later I had the ring of fire. I am on day 3 of OTC treatment 2 to 3 times a day. It"s starting to calm down a bit and isn"t growing, so that"s a good sign. I might have to continue with the antifungal creams and powders for a few weeks.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm 45 and looking back over the last decade I seem to get ringworm when I am at a low ebb, either severe stress or post sickness. It is now returning again on my hands. I have spent the last 4 days in bed with a nasty cold with high temperature and general malaise. Last September was the last time it reared its ugly head; then I was under an enormous amount of personal stress. It is always one or the other with my bouts of ringworm.

Comment from: bwlr37, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

We are not sure but we think we got it either from our dog or when he got his back shaved.

Comment from: krazzy k, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I caught ring worm and honestly haven't got a clue how I got it. I noticed it in the shower, it was on my left upper arm. All the time I am at work or around, I have my t-shirt and it covers that area.

Comment from: member, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I caught ringworm at the beach of Waikiki.

Comment from: Coleyna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had ringworm as a child. Someone told my parents about gentian violet. It worked but it makes you look like you got in a fight with blue ink pens. I got a kitten recently. She scratched me a lot at first. And everywhere she scratched I got a spot. I am using the gentian violet again. It does work but the purple spots are hard to explain.

Comment from: hachi, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 01

We got a new puppy from a breeder. I found a hot spot behind his ear. Now my daughter and son have what appears to be ringworm.

Comment from: jel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I caught ringworm from a public pool.

Ringworm - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?