Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: NOMOREGOUT, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had problems with tendonitis, bursitis and yes, gout since I was a teenager. High uric acid runs in the family. My father passed from a disease called polymyositis a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis. I have even had some gout attacks that landed me in the emergency room. This time though was different. I had knee replacement surgery, and the surgeon reported to me that I had tophi coated on all the ligaments and joints in my knee. That was after the surgery and it created such a gout flare up that I was put in the ICU for three days after surgery, with intravenous Dilaudid and the weaker morphine. Well, I used to like to drink gin. I haven't had a drink since that episode. I am three-quarters vegetarian now. I lost 30 pounds, I dropped from 220 to 190. I get regular exercise and flare ups still happen like waves rippling out from the initial attack, each one is weaker than the last. There is one practical piece of advice, or I should say my opinion as to deal with this, stay ahead of it. Get yourself a bottle of prednisone and stick it in the back of a door somewhere. Then, when on Friday night a flare up occurs you don't have to suffer until Monday to get to the doctor (if you can get in). Take 40 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for three days, and 20 for two days. Naprosyn, colchicine, meloxicam, Indocin, they all work, but not like prednisone.

Comment from: Shankar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My wife had rheumatoid arthritis. She was getting back pain once in a year during winter and after taking tablets for 1 or 2 months it used to go away. But last year it was worse. She had constant body pain though she was under medication. When doctor changes tablet she used to feel better for 1 or 2 days and then the pain was back. The doctor then tried steroid tablets. My wife started accumulation of fat. But it didn't help at all. We tried Ayurveda. It increased her gastric problems and she started getting nausea. We were terrified without knowing what to do. Then I found a book on naturopathy. I thought I would give it a try. It really helped her. Since a year she doesn't have any symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. This is what we did that helped us. I hope it might help someone having trouble with rheumatoid arthritis. Daily drink fruit juice without adding sugar or anything extra. Drink it twice morning and evening. Take 2 thick cotton towels (Turkish towel). Dip one in hot water 40 to 50 degree Celsius. Squeeze it dry. Put the hot towel on your back. Let it stay for 2 minutes. Now take the cold towel. Dip another in cold water. Squeeze it dry and put that on your back. Leave it for 30 seconds. Repeat it 4 times before your bed. End this by applying another hot towel for 1 minute. Then take some massage oil and massage the back for 3 to 4 minutes. Try it for 3 weeks. I bet you will see improvements. English medicines will have side effects. This is all natural and you will feel better naturally. Good luck.

Comment from: ladydi777, Published: November 24

Since being diagnosed with chronic kidney disease I have had a variety of symptoms, lower backache, fatigue, sudsy urine, depression, and tired all over especially if I have walked too much. The depression and fear are the worst things as I don't' know what the future holds for me with this disease that was caused from high blood pressure. Sometimes I just want to be alone because I cannot do the things I used to do. My urine is sometimes a gold color and it is always there so I get feeling sad.

Comment from: zamo, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

I have experiencing constant pain on my right flank, constipation and flatulence. I am on medication now for irritable bowel syndrome but there is not much improvement.

Comment from: r1cochet, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I started with methotrexate for my rheumatoid arthritis. I couldn't tolerate the side effects, I was laid out the day after with nausea and fatigue. Then I switched to Arava, I have no issues and it appears to work. As for biologics, I've been on Cimzia (stopped working after 2 years) then Orencia (same thing), and now on Humira (burns awfully when injecting, but the pen is even worse).

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your symptoms and signs at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms and signs of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?