Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: d, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had been taking Methotrexate for some time without much change so was given Arava as well. I felt really great for 4 months then got really sick and was hospitalized. These don't mix well. It was a very frightening and expensive lesson.

Comment from: Jenniferkjk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

When diagnosed with RA and I immediately went to see a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner because I found that there is no cure from Western medicine. My painful, swollen fingers and toes are now under control. The RA is very much under control now and I also sleep better without pain from inflammation. I did not suffer from any deformation of my joints.

Comment from: cpw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm 53 and was diagnosed with RA this year. It started with a sore foot and then three weeks would go by and it would turn up in one shoulder, then three weeks later in other shoulder. It went to my fingers in my right hand and then my knees were so swollen I could not bend. After my diagnosis I had two specimen jars of fluid removed from my knee. Then my doctor gave me two Prednisone injections, which did help. I feel better, but I still have bad days sometimes. I especially feel for the young ones who have this.

Comment from: S.B., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis had been given Celebrex and Plaquenil. Medications give me relief, but slowly.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Enbrel has been very effective in controlling my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.

Comment from: rlm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I started taking methotrexate and medrol dose packs as well as decadron shots and toradol shots. I also take folic acid every day to eliminate side effects from the methotrexate, such as, thinning of hair and bruising.

Comment from: Rosie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had arthritis for 1.5 years. I have pain in both wrists every day and have now started to have pain in my left knee. I also note my right feet and ankle getting swollen now when I eat anything with gluten or acid. I take a small pill called rheumazin forte which takes away the pain in the wrist but not in the knee. The pain in the knee goes away if I take naproxen. If I do not take these medications every 24 hrs my synovial joints get stiff and I am not able to use my hands or move around.

Comment from: Joyce, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I find that pure fish oil has benefited me for the past 4 years for my rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I'm 47, female, and about 7 years ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was relieved that my problems finally had a name. I was prescribed ibuprofen, Naproxen and Diclofenac, but that caused stomach problems. I did well on Methotrexate, but I found the risks too high. Moreover, my doctor had to increase the dosage every week. I started using an Aloe Vera drink for a while, but started using Omega 3 about 4 years ago. I am very content with that. As long as I use 1 capsule (1,000 mg) a day, my inflammation episodes are as good as absent.

Comment from: blue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had RA for about 5 years and have been taking Methotrexate and Leflumenide for the past 2 years which have kept it under control. The doctor is talking about Enbrel as a further treatment. I would like to hear what side effects people have had from this drug as I am uneasy about going on it.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?