Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: Catchryder, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) about 8 years ago. It just was sort of hopping around my body from joint to joint, shoulders, swelling feet, fingers etc. I can tell you the pain is untouchable with any pain medications. I tried most of the oral medications, with no relief. My doctor put me on Enbrel and it was an overnight success. Now after my last batch of blood work, my sedimentation rates are back to very high, no swelling, but all my fingers and feet are getting painful. So I go back and see her next month, for a possible medicine change. I will let you know what she suggests.

Comment from: theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with rheumatoid arthritis. I was having almost daily episodes of paralyzing pain in my shoulders, wrists and knees. My ANA's were over 2700 and it was crippling. The Plaquenil and naproxen I was prescribed did nothing to either alleviate the pain or lessen the episodes. I was looking at disability. I attended a lecture on acupuncture and thought I'd give it a try. Within a year, my ANA's were down to 400s and the episodes were few and far between and less in severity. I also keep myself to a strict schedule. Now, I only have an episode if I get sick or run down. I take NO medication other than an occasional ibuprofen. I have an active full time job and good quality of life. It saved my life.

Comment from: Shalu, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My wife is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since 6 years ago. The doctor gave her Nucoxia 90mg, SAAZ-DS 1000mg, Dexorange and methotrexate 7.5mg. After using these medicine she was quite well till now but since 10 days she started having pain and swelling in both her legs and shoulder. She has stopped all the medicines except Nucoxia since two years.

Comment from: pietpompies, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 66 years of age and suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor prescribed methotrexate and it is working like a charm.

Comment from: SSS, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My Rheumatoid Arthritis dates back to 1982 and was not cured by allopathic medicines which generally were steroid containing pain killers or hydrocortisone injections. A used to strike at me at will and as time passed the joints were going out of shape. The Indian Ayurvedic treatment called Pancha Karma treatment helped to recover 95% from RA, though periodic relapses occur. Ayurvedic treatment helped me even to avoid knee-joint replacement even recently. I have managed RA from 1982 with the help of Ayurvedic medicines and oil application.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My sister is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 16. Presently she is 33 years old and has a three year old son. Current laboratory tests show that her RA factor is 82.6, uric acid 5.1 and ASO 507. Now no joints are left for swelling. She has been suffering from right hand wrist stiffness and left hand elbow stiffness and other parts are going stiff with heavy pain, even she can't sleep due to heavy pain in shoulder muscle and joint pain. For removing pain she takes aciproxyvon (twice) and sazo 500 daily for the last 2 years and more under the advice of a local doctor.

Comment from: Mari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I've just turned 50 and diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 37 after heart attack. I was extremely fit nonsmoker, ate decently, and was thin. The only thing I do now that's bad is smoke, no excuses, but my life's awful. I've tried every conceivable treatment medically and naturally. Enbrel biologics helped for 2 years then stopped. It is the chronic fatigue I cannot stand. After about 2 years of horrific pain I was put on cocktail of medicines, Humira, etc., painkillers like OxyNorm along with anti-inflammatories. I'm on 240 mg oxycodone per day; ironically I hate drugs and all my life swore off them for personal reasons. I asked over and over if oxycodone was addictive, but was assured it was not if as taken as directed. Well oxycodone is addictive, so because of my trust and ignorance I'm hooked because they ease the pain and stop me from trying to kill myself.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?