Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: caitlin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Enbrel works really well for me, especially since I am always busy with sports and school. It makes it easier for me, and I can't really feel any pain until the week is up. Then I have to take the shot again. But it has really helped me get back into my sports and helped me play my current softball season.

Comment from: THANA, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My sis been suffering RA for five years. She tried all kinds of medicine – modern and traditional – with no changes. I really hope patients with similar health problem would share with me how to cure this.

Comment from: the cure, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

Boron or Borax have been effective for me. After 5 years of pain it has now stopped and I take no more medication for it.

Comment from: Riana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have rheumatoid arthritis now for 5 years. I have used folic acid, methotrexate, Celebrex, Arava and cortisone. Now 1 year ago I started with Humira injections every second week. So 7 months ago I have stop using the cortisone and the Celebrex. It much better with the Humira injections, but I must still take the Arava and methotrexate.

Comment from: whit25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been living with RA since I was 6, I am now 25. I am taking Mobic and that treatment is working for me.

Comment from: Kego22, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had R/A for 30 plus years and have tried many treatments. All have worked up to a point then have been given newer treatment. Most recently Humira. I have recently suffered with blood clots to the leg and then the lungs. I have stopped Humira and am about to go on Rituximab

Comment from: Polychrome, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

Methotrexate isn't an anti-inflammatory; it's a folic acid inhibitor. Oncologists use it because it inhibits metabolism at the cellular level. The action for RA is in suppressing the over activity and profusion of inflammatory response cells in the synovium. It can interfere with many cellular metabolic pathways. Liver tests are used during treatment to determine if red blood cell production has been inhibited, among other things. Just because an inexpensive treatment is being required before approving the use of the more expensive biologics by care (cost) management specialists doesn't mean it's safe and effective for all patients.

Comment from: d, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had been taking Methotrexate for some time without much change so was given Arava as well. I felt really great for 4 months then got really sick and was hospitalized. These don't mix well. It was a very frightening and expensive lesson.

Comment from: Jenniferkjk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

When diagnosed with RA and I immediately went to see a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner because I found that there is no cure from Western medicine. My painful, swollen fingers and toes are now under control. The RA is very much under control now and I also sleep better without pain from inflammation. I did not suffer from any deformation of my joints.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?