Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: Mari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I've just turned 50 and diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 37 after heart attack. I was extremely fit nonsmoker, ate decently, and was thin. The only thing I do now that's bad is smoke, no excuses, but my life's awful. I've tried every conceivable treatment medically and naturally. Enbrel biologics helped for 2 years then stopped. It is the chronic fatigue I cannot stand. After about 2 years of horrific pain I was put on cocktail of medicines, Humira, etc., painkillers like OxyNorm along with anti-inflammatories. I'm on 240 mg oxycodone per day; ironically I hate drugs and all my life swore off them for personal reasons. I asked over and over if oxycodone was addictive, but was assured it was not if as taken as directed. Well oxycodone is addictive, so because of my trust and ignorance I'm hooked because they ease the pain and stop me from trying to kill myself.

Comment from: Shalu, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My wife is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) since 6 years ago. The doctor gave her Nucoxia 90mg, SAAZ-DS 1000mg, Dexorange and methotrexate 7.5mg. After using these medicine she was quite well till now but since 10 days she started having pain and swelling in both her legs and shoulder. She has stopped all the medicines except Nucoxia since two years.

Comment from: pietpompies, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 66 years of age and suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor prescribed methotrexate and it is working like a charm.

Comment from: SSS, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My Rheumatoid Arthritis dates back to 1982 and was not cured by allopathic medicines which generally were steroid containing pain killers or hydrocortisone injections. A used to strike at me at will and as time passed the joints were going out of shape. The Indian Ayurvedic treatment called Pancha Karma treatment helped to recover 95% from RA, though periodic relapses occur. Ayurvedic treatment helped me even to avoid knee-joint replacement even recently. I have managed RA from 1982 with the help of Ayurvedic medicines and oil application.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My sister is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 16. Presently she is 33 years old and has a three year old son. Current laboratory tests show that her RA factor is 82.6, uric acid 5.1 and ASO 507. Now no joints are left for swelling. She has been suffering from right hand wrist stiffness and left hand elbow stiffness and other parts are going stiff with heavy pain, even she can't sleep due to heavy pain in shoulder muscle and joint pain. For removing pain she takes aciproxyvon (twice) and sazo 500 daily for the last 2 years and more under the advice of a local doctor.

Comment from: Rebtay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Methotrexate has prevented flare ups of rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for over 30 years! Some of that time managed very well, some managed badly. I found it very difficult to acknowledge I had such a serious disease, but ultimately couldn't manage with two small children back in the day (1987) and acknowledged I needed help. Friends thought I would be dead by the end of the year. However, through help from my husband, he used to have to carry me to the toilet at night, and my family, I received excellent medical care. However was a bit of a hippie, I struggled to take the medication I probably needed as I was concerned of its impact on my overall health. Ultimately got a very good doctor who kindly guided me back onto proper medication and into remission for a number of years. I moved in 1998 and had a referral to a 'professor' who did nothing with the management of my RA and probably contributed to me being worse now than I should be. My advice to anyone with this disease is to be proactive in managing it, and make sure you challenge and discuss with your doctor. It is your body, and you are the one who it impacts, don't be afraid to say to your doctor if you are not happy.

Comment from: caitlin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Enbrel works really well for me, especially since I am always busy with sports and school. It makes it easier for me, and I can't really feel any pain until the week is up. Then I have to take the shot again. But it has really helped me get back into my sports and helped me play my current softball season.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?