Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis

What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?

Comment from: rick in omaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

In 2000, my hands started hurting at the wrist and they felt like they were swollen. Then my knees and hips did the same thing. I was tested for RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and it was positive, so the doctor put me on ibuprofen 800, two pills every 6 hours for two weeks. That did nothing but give me acid reflux because it burned my stomach. I went back and the doctor said my 2nd RA test was negative, and told me it was normal wear and tear. Since then it has gotten worse to where my hips, elbows, knees, ankles and neck hurt 24 hours a day. I have no insurance so I can't do anything about it but suffer. I also was diagnosed with sciatica in my hips, in 2010. So, although your doctor might think they don't know what your problem is, you will just have to live with it.

Comment from: Eva A, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had/have severe pain in my back, joints, and hands, which led to the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. I also have difficulty getting around and doing household tasks; cooking, chopping vegetables, and meats (both raw & cooked).

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed last month by my carpal tunnel surgeon. I've been tired for 10 years. Can barely think straight. I have migraines. I have mystery pains, chest pain, feel like my feet and knees are broken. The surgeon told me to ask my GP. for a referral to another specialist. She doesn't believe him, but I do. I intend to ask him for a GP who thinks he is right. You really do only live once and I've already wasted 10 years.

Comment from: sue, Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was diagnosed with RA a year ago. Life after that was a rollercoaster, with young children, a demanding job, and unsupportive husband. I am on eight tablets of MTX per week. I thought I was feeling better for a few weeks, but recently, I had a chest infection that totally drained me.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

The inside of my right ankle was swollen and very painful.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.