Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis

What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: joanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

A new kind of normal is the best I can hope for after suffering through the gamut of all the medications offered for rheumatoid arthritis. I am fortunate to live in Australia where the government funds the expensive biologicals so I am reasonably mobile. I have found resting and giving up work the only way I could survive this horrendous disease after suffering 10 years of pushing it up hill. I stay at home all the time and sleep and rest as much as I can and go out to appointments only when necessary. I have changed from an extravert to an introvert.

Comment from: christy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 18mths old it started in my right ankle now I only know that I have maybe about 5 joints that are not affected by rheumatoid arthritis. I have had my left knee joint replaced and I'm in great need of having my right knee and hip done.

Comment from: Jenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I estimate I have had this disease for 40 years; it curtails my movement, when I have a flare, I can't do much. Until I had a bad flare, and saw an orthopedic surgeon and Rheumatologist, I was not diagnosed for RA. I take nurofen (ibuprofen) for my pain.

Comment from: nancy lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for 31 years and am now taking the biologics. An MRI today showed it is attacking my wrists and my autonomic nervous system.

Comment from: movin' along, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was diagnoised a year ago via blood tests. My first flare up was my right wrist; this led me to the Doctor. Since then, I haven't had a flare up that bad. I have changed my diet and have added the "tart" cherry juice. I take a "shot" glass morning and evening. I definitely stay away from cheddar cheese, night shade vegetables and green peppers. I have developed a sensitive right ankle. Going down stairs really hurts some days. I found if I wear "wedges" it takes the pressure off that joint. I am using Aleve when needed, as well as a topical gel- "Voltaren". The topical I thought would be better to use long term; easier on the stomach. No other meds for now. I hope it doesn't get any worse than this. It is something you have to get used to, but can tolerate!

Comment from: Tiger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

My left knee is bone-bone condition and I found that having Synvisc drug inject on my left knee every two years reduces injury from my exercise. I also take Ibuprofen before playing tennis to help on my movement and pain. My RA condition limits my active lifestyle; but with all the above medication and treatment, I was able to do and enjoy it.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?