Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis

What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: imlivingwithra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

What an odd question for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients! Prognosis to me would indicate that there is a chance for recovery. Any RA patient knows that there is not a cure for RA. The best that we can hope for is to manage our symptoms effectively and to minimize our flare-ups and pain. We also learn to live an altered lifestyle from what we have lived before. My new motto is to 'lose the guilt.' Guilt over not being able to do the things that you could formerly do. Guilt over not feeling good. Guilt over feeling tired. I am 58 years of age. I was planning on retiring at age 62. I now live month-to-month with no long range retirement goals as it may be next month that I decide that I can no longer work. It could be another two or four years. I don't know because each day is an RA challenge for me.

Comment from: r1cochet, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

My rheumatologist has never really given me a prognosis, but from all of the research I've done and the unrelenting fatigue, I'd say 8 more years of struggling to stay employed followed by a hermit's retirement, even though that the last thing I look forward to.

Comment from: joanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

A new kind of normal is the best I can hope for after suffering through the gamut of all the medications offered for rheumatoid arthritis. I am fortunate to live in Australia where the government funds the expensive biologicals so I am reasonably mobile. I have found resting and giving up work the only way I could survive this horrendous disease after suffering 10 years of pushing it up hill. I stay at home all the time and sleep and rest as much as I can and go out to appointments only when necessary. I have changed from an extravert to an introvert.

Comment from: Singh, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with palindromic rheumatoid arthritis a year ago. The blood test anti-CCP was positive, and all other tests including LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test) and thyroid were normal. I was having frequent pain in knee, hip and shoulder joints before diagnosis. I was prescribed the following; hydroxychloroquine 300 once after dinner, Folvite 5 mg after lunch Monday to Friday, and Folitrax 7.5 mg (2.5 mg 3imes) on Saturday and Sunday. I often get pain in the wrists and fingers but the major joint pain has reduced. Yoga exercise from head to toe every morning on empty stomach helps in maintaining daily work routine. I seldom have alcohol in mild/negligible quantity. I have cut down on sugar and junk food. Onions, carrots and light vegetarian food with adequate liquids are of great help. I avoid intake of cold items and aerated drinks totally. Drinking warm water or at room temperature helps. After walk do some stretching exercise may be for even two minutes. Avoid late dinner and keep the room temperatures at not below 26 degree C before sleep. After all this I still get mild to moderate pain in my wrist, hand and fingers but periodicity and intensity have reduced. In 2 to 3 months I am planning to visit an Ayurvedic doctor and till then will continue with the prescribed medicines.

Comment from: christy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 18mths old it started in my right ankle now I only know that I have maybe about 5 joints that are not affected by rheumatoid arthritis. I have had my left knee joint replaced and I'm in great need of having my right knee and hip done.

Comment from: larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I have rheumatoid arthritis now for over 22 years. I'm taking Voltaren 1 tablet daily 200 mg, plus acetaminophen 500 mg 2 tabs 4 times per day. I have pain in both hands, fingers, feet, knees, shoulders, arms, and chest during flare ups. I run low temperature, shake all over, and not able to eat; only rest and let it pass.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your symptoms and signs at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms and signs of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience With RA and OA Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.