Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Graeme, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 1995. I was put on prednisone resulting in reduced bone density so it is important to have bone scans every 2 years. In 2001 was diagnosed with Felty's syndrome and had my spleen removed 2012. I had heart bypass in 2014. I have just turned 65 and still working. It is important not to give up.

Comment from: Lilly, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I stopped all sugar and chocolate. I loaded up on broccoli and my boils seem to disappear in a few days. I also took multivitamin with B that also seems to help.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

For me rheumatoid arthritis (RA) started two years ago at the age of 41; and my life is not the same. For me it started with traveling joint pain. I went to many doctors, it took a year to diagnose, and the only reason I was diagnosed was because I have nodules and they removed one and it came back as RA. I have been in pain every day. But I keep moving. I still can't believe I have this horrible disease that so many suffer from. I have been on one pill a day of diclofenac. If I don't take it, by the third day I can hardly move and I feel like I have the flu. I hope one day it will leave my body!

Comment from: Aussie2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have suffered with rheumatoid arthritis for the last 38 years. It is in my family, hereditary. All the usual drugs for it have not worked (including 3 biologics) or stopped after a while, and I lost half a lung to fungus infection on one of the first line drugs. I still take ketaprofen and prednisolone. I started natural supplement SAMe-SL methionine 200 mg, 6 weeks ago and within that time it has made my ESR 8 and CRP 11 - lowest for 38 years. It also reduced rheumatoid factor to 800 (from 1695). So next week I'll be cutting prednisolone back to 3. Hopefully when I can afford to take 400 mg SAMe-SL I can cut out all prednisolone and the ketaprofen.

Comment from: Vmitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had very sudden onset of projectile vomiting and my legs tingled. I had to be helped to the car. It felt like a heart attack could only breathe when my right arm was above my head. That was the 1st time and I went to emergency room. Second was a month later, the quick vomiting and legs would work, so I went to Urgent Care. Neither if these visits said a word about rheumatoid arthritis. The 3rd time I barely made it to the bathroom to vomit and once on the potty my knees hurt so badly I couldn't get off. I had to scoot on the floor where I later, for 4 hours, was trying to get up. I could do nothing from waist down. A friend came over and helped me up. She thought it was multiple sclerosis. This time I did nothing but take Lortab and slept all through the next day. I could walk the next day but hurt really bad. Eventually I went to a rheumatologist. My CRP was 265, normal is 1 - 4.9 and all blood work indicated rheumatoid arthritis, high sedimentation rate and RA panel of labs. Now I'm on Prilosec for my stomach issues and I'm back on Plaquenil and have bad pain pretty often.

Comment from: Lalita V, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been suffering from severe pain in both the knees, but the right knee has been more inflammatory. Some acupuncture treatment was undergone for rheumatoid arthritis, but no expected results. Use of painkillers prescribed by the doctors had temporary effect. Once intake of painkillers was discontinued, severe pain would start.

Comment from: grub, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

This gastroenteritis virus is nasty and lasts a long time. Ten days ago I started with diarrhea, no vomiting, and lots of up and down fever. I have been living on Advil, but stomach pains don't go away. It's no fun, I am still feeling bad.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?