Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Aussie2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have suffered with rheumatoid arthritis for the last 38 years. It is in my family, hereditary. All the usual drugs for it have not worked (including 3 biologics) or stopped after a while, and I lost half a lung to fungus infection on one of the first line drugs. I still take ketaprofen and prednisolone. I started natural supplement SAMe-SL methionine 200 mg, 6 weeks ago and within that time it has made my ESR 8 and CRP 11 - lowest for 38 years. It also reduced rheumatoid factor to 800 (from 1695). So next week I'll be cutting prednisolone back to 3. Hopefully when I can afford to take 400 mg SAMe-SL I can cut out all prednisolone and the ketaprofen.

Comment from: Vmitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had very sudden onset of projectile vomiting and my legs tingled. I had to be helped to the car. It felt like a heart attack could only breathe when my right arm was above my head. That was the 1st time and I went to emergency room. Second was a month later, the quick vomiting and legs would work, so I went to Urgent Care. Neither if these visits said a word about rheumatoid arthritis. The 3rd time I barely made it to the bathroom to vomit and once on the potty my knees hurt so badly I couldn't get off. I had to scoot on the floor where I later, for 4 hours, was trying to get up. I could do nothing from waist down. A friend came over and helped me up. She thought it was multiple sclerosis. This time I did nothing but take Lortab and slept all through the next day. I could walk the next day but hurt really bad. Eventually I went to a rheumatologist. My CRP was 265, normal is 1 - 4.9 and all blood work indicated rheumatoid arthritis, high sedimentation rate and RA panel of labs. Now I'm on Prilosec for my stomach issues and I'm back on Plaquenil and have bad pain pretty often.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Thinking back I'm sure I've always suffered with some sort of arthritis. As a young child I'd be up most nights with dreadful knee and elbow pains, as young as 8 years old. I remember my parents having to get warm towels to wrap around my joints and the smell of Algipan (deep heat remedy) was a popular aroma in our home. Doctors diagnosed growing pains. I had my daughter at 23 and within weeks of her birth I had intense pain all over my body. Everyday chores of motherhood became so difficult which upset me so much however I persevered and finally saw a rheumatologist who diagnosed RA (rheumatoid arthritis). I worked as a dental nurse part time and was a mother of 2 young children so I kept busy which I truly believe is the key because if I had given up my part time work I would gave probably dwelled on the pain too much. When I was 37 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well causes body aches and a general feeling of flu like symptoms. I am now 47, I've recently had an ankle replacement and will be having a wrist replaced early next year. I'm totally disabled by the RA now but it won't beat me, I go to work in a salon that I run and I do beauty therapy on part time basis day to day depending on my condition. I'm on morphine patches and very strong oral painkillers but otherwise I'd be at home unable to move.

Comment from: Moag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Worse part of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the pulmonary fibrosis, this distresses me and is more problematic than the pain from the RA, so debilitating having both things. I thought the RA was bad but this fibrosis really saps me of energy. I feel stuck at present, need to exercise for my RA but get so breathless with the fibrosis. I have never met anyone with both conditions, feel so alone with it all sometimes.

Comment from: terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

People should look into Remicade treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, I have tried various medications and the best has been the Remicade infusions. It is administered intravenously.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am now 72, was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) in 1981 - a few months after I enrolled in a workplace exercise/gym activity. It started in fingers, all over body, toes to neck. I also had psoriasis. After all the usual methotrexate, gold injections, NSAIDS, hands are now very deformed but I still play golf. Prostate was removed in 2007, psoriasis went away. There's no real cure but if caught early some people were cured by major steroid treatment. I am now on 1 piroxicam daily plus blood pressure medication. Keep doing your normal stuff, don't stay on the couch. The medicine is still from the 1950s.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?