Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My rheumatoid arthritis started suddenly. My hands both seemed stiff and I couldn't even make a fist. Then both my knees ached all the time and I had no energy at all. Couldn't even go to the store as everything ached so bad.

Comment from: Tabbs0530, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis a year ago. It took me down really fast. I couldn't walk or use either hand without severe pain. Prednisone helped until I was given Methotrexate and Humira. The injections burn a lot but seem to have the rheumatoid arthritis under control. I also have occasional finger swelling when it rains.

Comment from: Torey, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My mother has had RA for 25 years. She has her wrists fused together, all the joints have been removed from her feet and her spine is also twisted. She has been on almost every medication. Her last one was Remicaid which slowed it for a while but quit working. With the new Medicare requirements she can't afford the copay she has to make for the IV medications anymore. We have no idea what to do next.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I went through a 40 pound weight loss then the pain and stiffness started in my right hand. I went to the family doctor and after an X-ray, MRI and biopsy of my right hand, he finally sent me to a rheumatologist and he said I have rheumatoid arthritis at 28 years old. I am taking methotrexate and prednisone and folic acid. I have symptoms in my right hand, left hand, and my knees. My doctor is thinking about starting me on Humira. I just want to find a treatment to help me feel better and less fatigued.

Comment from: Nevinovatainima, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I'm a 19 year old woman. Starting at the age of 13, I have been experiencing weak wrists and knees that bring about pain when bent for too long or too far. Last month I went to the doctor about this and they did some blood tests showing that I have rheumatoid arthritis. I didn't know what symptoms to look for until I was shown a few signs on my own body like the fingers growing to be a bit odd shaped, which I've noticed my father had and it was pretty bad. That's when I knew whom I got it from. Also, just a few days ago I started having sharp chest pain throughout my chest and luckily was given two medications by my rheumatologist, they both help wonderfully, but I worry I'm only going to get worse. I wish there was a cure! Any suggestions on how I could possibly slowdown the process? I currently try to exercise regularly.

Comment from: COGPK84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am 27 years old, so I was very surprised when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. According to my doctor, I developed it early because of a car wreck I was in 5 years ago, as well as having toxemia with my last pregnancy. I have hesitated about starting treatment, but it seems to be worsening quickly. I appreciate all the info, it has really helped.

Comment from: Debbiema, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and osteoporosis. I barely have swelling. Now and then my rings will be a little tight to get on or now and then my wrist looks a little swollen. I am really scared to go on the "IV" type treatments. When I listen and read to all the horrible side effects, I think I would just deal with the rheumatoid.

Comment from: ceder1969, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed 13 years ago with RA and have seen changes in medication over these past few years. When I was first diagnosed the doctors treated me with pre-determined acceptable form of treatment which left me in dire pain for years. While my treatment has changed over the years as I've learned to be more proactive in my treatment I am left unable to work with disfiguring joints. It can be hard when people don't understand or can't see the pain you are in and harder still not to be able to do things I once enjoyed so much, but I have learned to modify my activities, taking things slower, using assistive devices when needed and keeping positive people around me. I just don't have time for negative people anymore... it's a waste of my valuable energy.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?