Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 52 years. I got it when I was 2 yrs old. I had knee replacement about 15 yrs ago. Now it is starting to get worse. I started to feel it in my hands and that is marking me mad. I need them to do things. I can put up with the pain. But not stop use my hands I like to play games on line.

Comment from: notreadyforthis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I woke up a month ago with pain in my arm and shoulder so bad that I thought I had torn a muscle. Exactly one month later I experienced that same pain times 10 in my other arm and shoulder. It lasted 8 hours! I have been bed ridden now for a week because the pain is just too much. I finally got the diagnosis of RA and I am feeling very discouraged when I look at my future.

Comment from: DM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I was diagnosed with RA today. It started with pain in my hips and then after an ankle manipulation from an osteo down to my ankle. My right ankle is most affected and now my thumbs are starting to flare. I have had a bone scan and this is what has confirmed my own and th rheumatologists thoughts. I suppose I now buckle up and hold on (if I can) for the ride, thanks for posting. I am about to start Methotrexate.

Comment from: TROD7979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have had joint pain from the time I was 25. It first started on my right hip, then a few years later in traveled to my left hip. A few more years past and it went to one knee then the other. Then my right foot and now both feet. My doctor doesn't see a problem in the x-rays. He says my ankles are healthy.

Comment from: maxpulsion, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I went to the Rheumatologist about a year ago, got blood tests, etc. She said nothing there. This was after I had extensive blood work requested by a Neurologist. Last week I went back to the Rheumatologist and got examined, got more blood tests, and X-rays. I have extreme pain in my right hand and fingers, I already had trigger finger and had the surgery for this about 4 years ago. I also have pain in arms, and feet area. My stomach muscles also hurt by the slightest of work and while chewing my mouth gets tired. I also sweat very easy. I am waiting for the results from the blood work. Very frustrated, and tired.

Comment from: pizzagirl12280, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was diagnosed with RA a little over two years ago at the age of 46. It started with severe swelling and pain. I took several medications and was doing well, lost my job and insurance. Now I only take NSAIDs and am miserable, especially since I had to quit taking all medication including methotrexate, cold turkey. steroids work wonders but I cannot get them on a regular basis. Many people think it is just pain because they look at the arthritis portion, they do not understand the other symptoms and that I am really degenerating slowly. mMore information needs to be put out about this disease so people understand the whole picture.

Comment from: Ella, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I just found out I have RA at age 21. Needless to say it is quite depressing. My knees have been killing me for over a year, and I refused to take no for an answer. I went to see my primary doctor and he said my knees are fine, blood test was okay. I went to see an orthopedist and he said it was fine too. I went to see a rheumatologist and four tests later I am positive for RA. My knees would swell severely with exercise, and also when it would rain, and or the weather would change. I am going to move to a dry climate area. The more weather changes, and humidity the worst my RA is. I am also going to do yoga. I am scheduled to get an MRI done soon and start the steroid injections.

Comment from: mae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was recently diagnosed with RA. I have been under medication for eight months and I am not yet recovered from pain. At first my doctor thought it was SLE but after a lot of tests that were made; ASO, ANA, ESR, ALT and RA my doctor concluded that it was some kind of Rheumatic factor. In January I experienced a stiff neck and thought it was only because of a sleep disorder and after a week I felt relief. After that I experienced a pain in my right knee, then left, then both knees, both of my ankles, and in my upper limbs, and shoulder. I feel scared because both of my hands cannot grip. I feel restless, wreckless and incapable of doing things. It makes me depressed and stressed. I am 25 years old now and a teacher. My job requires physical actions and I don't think I can survive the whole school year. I am now taking 5 mg of prednisone three times a day with Plaquenil in the morning, folic acid and two times a day of Celebrex. However, it doesn't relieve the pain one hundred percent.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?