Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Celly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a teacher too. Last year I was an active kindergarten teacher. I've worked full timr for 35 years as a teacher. This year I'm disabled due to RA and institional lung disease. I'm sad, but I'm thankful for my family, God, and insurance. If I didn't have all three I wouldn't have survived. My illness started with double pneumonia. Two months later I was diagnosed with RA

Comment from: tdodge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 52 years old and for years have had pain in my hands. The only way to relieve the pain was to have them rubbed and squeezed by my husband. And that only did it for a short while. Now I am having severe joint pain in my fingers on both hands in every joint. At first I thought it might be golf but it is lasting for long periods of time. Any one else have these symptoms. I have not gone to the doctor yet. I also play tennis. Do sports make RA worse.

Comment from: RitaR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have had RA for about 10 years. I've been able to manage it will with methotrexate. If there is anyone in doubt about whether to take it – I've found it to be amazing. It took time for me to get used to it – months, even – but was worth it in the end. Along with methotrexate, I have had various medications to control pain and inflammation. Unfortunately, nothing works for me, or if it does, the side effects are unbearable. I just returned from Spain, where I traveled alone and was in excruciating pain. What hurt is that nobody offered to help when they could see I had trouble walking. Where are the kindhearted people? This world would be in a much nicer state if we had more genuine people like one kind girl who helped me.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 52 years. I got it when I was 2 yrs old. I had knee replacement about 15 yrs ago. Now it is starting to get worse. I started to feel it in my hands and that is marking me mad. I need them to do things. I can put up with the pain. But not stop use my hands I like to play games on line.

Comment from: notreadyforthis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I woke up a month ago with pain in my arm and shoulder so bad that I thought I had torn a muscle. Exactly one month later I experienced that same pain times 10 in my other arm and shoulder. It lasted 8 hours! I have been bed ridden now for a week because the pain is just too much. I finally got the diagnosis of RA and I am feeling very discouraged when I look at my future.

Comment from: DM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I was diagnosed with RA today. It started with pain in my hips and then after an ankle manipulation from an osteo down to my ankle. My right ankle is most affected and now my thumbs are starting to flare. I have had a bone scan and this is what has confirmed my own and th rheumatologists thoughts. I suppose I now buckle up and hold on (if I can) for the ride, thanks for posting. I am about to start Methotrexate.

Comment from: TROD7979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have had joint pain from the time I was 25. It first started on my right hip, then a few years later in traveled to my left hip. A few more years past and it went to one knee then the other. Then my right foot and now both feet. My doctor doesn't see a problem in the x-rays. He says my ankles are healthy.

Comment from: maxpulsion, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I went to the Rheumatologist about a year ago, got blood tests, etc. She said nothing there. This was after I had extensive blood work requested by a Neurologist. Last week I went back to the Rheumatologist and got examined, got more blood tests, and X-rays. I have extreme pain in my right hand and fingers, I already had trigger finger and had the surgery for this about 4 years ago. I also have pain in arms, and feet area. My stomach muscles also hurt by the slightest of work and while chewing my mouth gets tired. I also sweat very easy. I am waiting for the results from the blood work. Very frustrated, and tired.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?