Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

Comment from: Margie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

In 2004 I woke up to stabbing pain and unable to move my right shoulder/arm. Things progressed to legs and knees, general malaise, etc. I insisted the cause was a response to being stung by ground bees and having had major oral surgery. No doctor believed me. Both rheumatoid arthritis (RA) factor and Lyme test negative (every time, every year). My general physician (GP) sent me to rheumatologist who then prescribed prednisone and Azulfidine, but no relief. He wanted me to use Dimard or a biologic. I refused due to side effects. I went to a doctor who treats with antibiotics and ibuprofen. That protocol worked for 6 years! Another flare and I went on a brief protocol of methotrexate for a variety of reasons. It worked and I have been symptom free for 5 years until a month ago, when symptoms started after having surgery and invasive dental procedure. There is that infection connection/inflammation and stress response again. My GP wants me to see a rheumatologist who will, of course, want me to go on the major drugs again. I am again searching for a doctor to believe me that these responses are due to current events and will use antibiotics.

Comment from: txbabe_11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

Just recently I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I am devastated because I am anti-pills. I have seen what they have done over the course of time to my mother who also has RA. Absolutely nothing helps her anymore. She just sits and bears the pain and cries. This is so sad. A lot of these manmade medicines have so many awful side effects. I mean, if I already am hurting, tell me, why would I want yet another disease? Seriously!

Comment from: Moag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Worse part of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the pulmonary fibrosis, this distresses me and is more problematic than the pain from the RA, so debilitating having both things. I thought the RA was bad but this fibrosis really saps me of energy. I feel stuck at present, need to exercise for my RA but get so breathless with the fibrosis. I have never met anyone with both conditions, feel so alone with it all sometimes.

Comment from: terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

People should look into Remicade treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, I have tried various medications and the best has been the Remicade infusions. It is administered intravenously.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am now 72, was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) in 1981 - a few months after I enrolled in a workplace exercise/gym activity. It started in fingers, all over body, toes to neck. I also had psoriasis. After all the usual methotrexate, gold injections, NSAIDS, hands are now very deformed but I still play golf. Prostate was removed in 2007, psoriasis went away. There's no real cure but if caught early some people were cured by major steroid treatment. I am now on 1 piroxicam daily plus blood pressure medication. Keep doing your normal stuff, don't stay on the couch. The medicine is still from the 1950s.

Comment from: Judie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The pain started in both arms about a month ago and now everything hurts. I am an active person who tends horses and feeds a lot of animals. I ride a lot, and work around on the farm. This rheumatoid arthritis came out of nowhere and I feel like I have the flu or something because I ache all over.

Comment from: Lochner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) a year ago. I started with frontline medicines methotrexate and Celebrex. RA factor is 1030 where 5 is normal. I will be seeing a specialist to be prescribed different medications. Most joints are ok, ankles and feet hurt most.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?