Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 05

Pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints of my fingers. I also noticed I was often tired, even after sleeping for 8 or 9 hours. Upon waking my eyes often felt grainy.

Published: June 04

My thumb and index finger joints on both hands are inflamed and sore.

Published: June 04

My symptoms started with what I thought was the flu - extreme body aches and exhaustion (no vomiting). Although I felt better, I never felt 100%. Two weeks later I woke up on a Saturday morning and even without the lights on could tell that my hands were very swollen and stiff. Only once I got in the shower did I find that my ankles, toes, knees, neck and elbows were also swollen. I went to an urgent care who tested me for "life threatening" problems and was then sent to my primary two days later. My primary doctor ran blood tests that came back fine, yet the inflammation never went down nor did I see improvement in my neck's range of motion. Finally in May I went to a specialist who diagnosed me with RA. I'm currently on Relafen and see the specialist next week to obtain additional blood test results. I was diagnosed one week before my 37th birthday.

Published: June 04

My daughter (age 15 ) was diagnosed today with this. Her symptoms were swollen and sore feet and sore and swollen fingers.

Published: June 03

Nearly 3 years ago, at the age of 38, my knees suddenly got very swollen and painful so that it was impossible for me to squat down or navigate stairs, etc. I was very active at the time and had just finished up re-landscaping my front yard so I thought I had maybe injured my knees but also being aware of my mom's history with osteoarthritis, I made an appointment with a rheumatologist. When, after examining me, she looked at me and told me I did not have osteoarthritis, but rheumatoid arthritis, I had no idea what the difference was. When I did some research I was surprised because there is no history of RA in my family. Prednisone quickly bought the pain and inflammation under control. I have never tested positive for the RF factor and for the first 2.5 years I had a relatively mild case and did well on Plaquenil and NSAIDs with maybe 2 or 3 flares that required a steroid dose pack. All that changed about six months ago and my disease has now progressed to a more severe state. I have now been on prednisone for about six months, started methotrexate about 4 months ago and since being on all of this has not worked to control the inflammation and joint damage (just within the past few months), I am starting Humira in addition to everything else this week. So, hopefully, that will bring this under control and into remission.

Published: June 03

Pain in the finger joints, lethargic in the morning, elbow painful when rasing things to chest level. The upper part of both arms aching and shoulder blades aching.

Published: June 02

I started to get stiffness in my jaw and couldn't chew food, then came the wrists which was very painful then I started to have symptoms in the rest of my joints.....and massive swelling in my hands the last thing so far is the little bumps under the skin of my feet. I am still in a flare stage for over a year now hoping for a remission someday.

Published: June 02

I had just started a new job and had to do a little typing on the computer, so when my left thumb started hurting at the joint I just thought it was from the typing. But when other fingers started swelling and would be very stiff in the a.m. I knew something was wrong. Two months after my hands started bothering me, my toes started to hurt and they would also be swollen in the a.m. When I would get out of bed I had to be careful because standing on my feet hurt so badly. Seven months later I was diagnosed with RA.

Published: June 02

I have been just diagnosed with RA 2 weeks ago at age 29. I'm a single mother of a 5 year old. I have just bought my first house and she just started T-Ball. I have always been active in sports and find it hard to believe I can no longer be active with her and do my daily upkeep to the house. It started with the foot to the point I could not walk on it. Off to the doctor and got the blood work done. He put me on the secondary set of medications and all of a sudden now my right hand and fingers won't move. My right side of the body is constantly aching and fatigue is a constant. I fear one day I'll wake up and feel paralyzed. I try not to let the depression of this disease get to me. Please keep your heads up and keep smiling.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?