Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 17

One morning I woke up with symmetrical pain in fingers and wrist. A few days later in both knees.

Published: June 16

My hands thumped with pain all the time...especially my thumbs. I started dropping everything I tried to pick up. I would get hot all over sometimes, almost like I had a fever but not. A lot of pain and headaches and a general malaise. Please note...as a child, many years before being diagnosed, I used to cry about my thumbs and wrists hurting and it also correlated to migraines I used to have - this is around 3 to 4 years old.)

Published: June 13

The onset was quick and severe. It seemed one day I was fine, and the next I had a traveling pain that let off somewhat during the day, but at night came back with a vengeance. It started in my elbows, traveled to my wrists to the point where I couldn't grasp or lift a sheet of paper. It traveled to my neck for three days so that I could hardly move my head. The pain hit both knees at different days (mostly the right knee). Finally the pain found its main home in my elbows. The pain at night feels like my forearm will just break off if I roll over. Nothing seems to be very effective in alleviating the pain. It started in March of 08, and I've had it without fail since then.

Published: June 13

I was diagnosed with RA about three years ago at age 21. I never had any symptoms. The doctor said you can test positive and never have any symptoms. Is that true? If I have a few beers, the next few days my fingers feel like pins are sticking in them and are very hard to move. Can certain foods or drinks cause flares?

Published: June 12

For about six months, my feet hurt, especially in the morning or after sitting or resting for any period of time. At the same time, I had stiff hands. Five weeks ago, I went to the doctor because I felt like a truck had hit me...all over fatigue, which then progressed to concentrated pain in my hands/wrists and feet/ankles to the point that I could not do my normal activities. I now have inflammation in my knees, elbows, and shoulders as well. I am on medication, but this initial flare is very hard.

Published: June 12

I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis my main concern is in my hands they have nodules and on the back of my hands I have a large swelling they look very unsightly and are very painful I am on methotrexate pills that are slowing down the process I was 40 when diagnosed I am 50 this year.

Published: June 11

I am 41 and was diagnosed when I was 27. I use to run 5 miles a day. It started with a sharp pain in my shoulder blade and my right arm I couldn't move it. I had been in and out of Dr's office. It was when I couldn't walk. That's when they diagnosed me. So my blood test came back RA and borderline Lupus. I also was diagnosed with Pleurisy. I am on predinsone, naproxene, methotrexate and humera. Percocet when the pain is so severe in my lungs. I hope and pray one day there is a cure. It's really hard for me know what normal use to be.

Published: June 11

I had no symptoms. I was in my second week of a debilitating virus and the excruciating pain came overnight in my knee. Thinking it would subside, I waited days for treatment and lab results confirmed rheumatoid arthritis. Before methotrexate as well as 40mg./day, the horrible pain would invade a shoulder for 24 hrs.; a wrist for 24 hrs.; i.e. a single joint. After three weeks of methotrexate the dizzy spells were too much and now I am taking only prednisone 10mg/am; 10mg/pm, and I am comfortable. Looking forward to lab results next week and pray this may leave as quickly as it began.

Published: June 10

My elbows appeared to have knobs on them and appeared reddish. My eyes feel like they have allergies- as if something is in them that makes me want to blink.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?