Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 09

Both of my hands started getting stiff and painful in the morning it happened all of a sudden and gets better as the day goes on.

Published: June 09

Pain in hands: very, very sore and painful in the middle of the night. Wakes me out of a sound sleep. Knee pain: Feels like water under my knee caps. Cannot bend all the way and definitely cannot kneel on them.

Published: June 09

I'm a 28 year old women and i suffer with joint pain in both my wrists and both my knees. I find Biofreeze helps a lot it takes away the pain for a good 3 hrs and I am able to carry on with my work.

Published: June 06

My hands and feet were stiff in the morning but by the afternoon were better. I type at a computer all day so thought I had carpal tunnel. Then in July, I woke up and could not move without extreme pain. To even open the door would make me cry. The doctor took one look at my hands and feet and said it probably was RA. A blood test confirmed it. That was three years ago. I started on prednisone and thought it was a miracle the pain was gone. I am now on methotrexate and humira.

Published: June 06

I'm 43 (female) and I was diagnosted with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 36. I started having pain in my right shoulder. (Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this! Doctor: So don't do that!) I assumed I had injured my rotator cup (like a baseball pitcher) and that it would just take extra time to heal. After a couple of months, it stopped hurting. Soon after, my left shoulder started doing the same thing. I knew I had not injured it. Something was up. Pretty soon I had so much pain in both of my shoulders I could barely function. I saw my doctor and was diagnosed right away and put on Relafen and Methotrexate. This worked for a few years. Eventually my liver could not handle the methotrexate and it had to be reduced which brought back the pain. My Rheumatologist recently put me on leflunomide. It will be a couple more months before I will know if it works for me. Wish me luck!

Published: June 06

My hands hurt when typing; I thought I had carpal tunnel. Month later my little finger swell and looked dark. These symptoms prompted Orthopaedic Dr. to have blood test which indicated RA.

Published: June 06

Right hand, little finger, enlarged distal interphalangeal joint. (It's as if the joint is growing larger), uncomfortable. Doesn't really hurt, joint is tight from swelling or enlargement of the joint. I wrap copper wire around the joint to alleviate pressure in joint. Copper wrap really works! Along with copper wrap, I often take Alieve to reduce inflammation (if any) and Excedrin migraine to reduce the pain.

Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with RA at the age of 18 after I began feeling pain and swelling in my hands. I was also very tired and lethargic. I am now 46. Over the years I have experienced different degrees of pain. It ranges from feeling tender to feeling like flaming hot metal spikes have been pushed through each joint in my hands and wrists. Some days, I wake up and I no longer have what one would consider hands. I have clubs! When asked how I feeling these mornings I reply, " I feel swell!" I have gone without symptoms for years at a time....each time I became pregnant my symptoms stopped and remained non-existent anywhere from 3 to 9 years. Lately its back and I am noticing my fingers are beginning to slide. I am afraid to take the Meds due to the potential side effects. I'm not willing to throw those dice.

Published: June 05

I'm 59 years of age and have a number of health problems for several years. One being a rare muscle disease called myofascial syndrome which is very painful and I stay exhausted. I just finished chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer. I've noticed I get tired very easily which the doctor told me I would for about a year after chemo. I was also diagnosed with RA and some days I hurt so badly in my shoulders I couldn't raise my arms at all without crying out in pain. Just before I found out I had breast cancer I broke my back which did not heal properly with just a back brace. The doctor fist told me the chemo made it worse but we've about decided it's a combination of the treatments and the RA. I've tried several anti-inflammatory drugs which cause my stomach to hurt very bad for the RA and don't know what to do at this time except take pain medication and Advil. I'm looking forward to some relief soon.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?