Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 11

I am 41 and was diagnosed when I was 27. I use to run 5 miles a day. It started with a sharp pain in my shoulder blade and my right arm I couldn't move it. I had been in and out of Dr's office. It was when I couldn't walk. That's when they diagnosed me. So my blood test came back RA and borderline Lupus. I also was diagnosed with Pleurisy. I am on predinsone, naproxene, methotrexate and humera. Percocet when the pain is so severe in my lungs. I hope and pray one day there is a cure. It's really hard for me know what normal use to be.

Published: June 11

I had no symptoms. I was in my second week of a debilitating virus and the excruciating pain came overnight in my knee. Thinking it would subside, I waited days for treatment and lab results confirmed rheumatoid arthritis. Before methotrexate as well as 40mg./day, the horrible pain would invade a shoulder for 24 hrs.; a wrist for 24 hrs.; i.e. a single joint. After three weeks of methotrexate the dizzy spells were too much and now I am taking only prednisone 10mg/am; 10mg/pm, and I am comfortable. Looking forward to lab results next week and pray this may leave as quickly as it began.

Published: June 10

My elbows appeared to have knobs on them and appeared reddish. My eyes feel like they have allergies- as if something is in them that makes me want to blink.

Published: June 09

Two years ago I started having random inflammations of the joints in my hands and wristsnot symmetrical, just flare-ups that would last a few days, subside only to be replaced by another in a different location. I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis...an incipient stage of the disease. I was first asked to try NSAIDS. For three months I used NSAIDS to no avail. I also did a LOT of reading, discovered that certain foods definitely promoted flare-ups, and decided I wanted to try Minocin. My rheumatologist prescribed it for me, and within two weeks of one a day 100mg the flare-ups had ceased. After six months, I was able to eat all the "forbidden" foods again, and then dropped down to Doxycycline, 100 mg once a day, with nothing on weekends. A few months ago I started forgetting one or two of my weekly doses, and the flareups came back. Restarted with Minocin, then once under control again, dropped back to Doxycline, and am doing just fine. It has now been two full years since it all started.

Published: June 09

I hurt really bad in my joints. My fingers have big knots on the first joint. All my joints hurt all over my body and sore to the touch.

Published: June 09

Pain in my wrist and pinkie fingers which after about 6 months swelling in my left fingers and wrist and then on to swelling in my right hand fingers and knuckles.

Published: June 09

I was diagnosed wtih RA 3 years ago. I came down with the human Parvo virus and my doctor said I had a recessive gene of RA and this virus brought it out in me. My fingers when I woke up looked like sausages because of the swelling, I was so fatigued by noontime, then it moved to my wrists and feet, ankles, knees and hips, lower back, neck. I am now taking Enbrel and it holds me somewhat. I have bad days and good days.

Published: June 09

I was about 35 when I first stated to feel pain in my knee's and hands/wrist (15 years ago). My knees started to ache. I ignored the pain for about 2 months taking Advil for the pain, but it seem to be getting worse and my knees were swelling more each day, so I went in to see my doctor and he ran a few blood test R/A was one of them, he told me I could continue taking the 5 to 6 Advil per day if this was helping the pain, a week or so later I received a notice that no irregularities except for iron poor blood had been found, this was not new since I always seem to have this. About 6 months went by and my knees became so swollen that I could barely walk and was unable to bend them my wrist and hands had also started to hurt and swell. I made another appointment and at that point they sent me to the lab again to recheck for additional illness, a week or so went by, then I was contacted that I had been diagnosed with R/A. I'm really not clear why they didn't find this in the lab results 6 months prior.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?