Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 18

Pain in all my joints but most severe in my back I always had a hard time typing and opening things but never really had any visible swelling although I always felt like I had some fluid around my joints.

Published: June 18

I was very interested to read one of the viewer comments saying they had suffered from hives. I suffered from hives for 3 years before being diagnosed with RA about 5 years ago. Mostly it is kept under control now with medication except for my right knee which constantly aches, sometimes when standing it just gives way, this has lead to me falling over and I use a walking stick to help with stability. I suffer from fatigue and I get the feeling from my GP that I should just get over it.

Published: June 18

I had fatigue and muscle/joint aches for many years before being diagnosed with sero-negative RA. When I was finally diagnosed with sero-negative RA, I had joint inflammation so bad in my shoulders, hands, wrists, feet, knees, and ankles, that I couldn't undress myself or use the restroom by myself. I couldn't even hardly raise my arms above my waist and could barely walk. I had my first positive ANA test in the late 90's but wasn't diagnosed with RA until 2006. Then, it was diagnosed based on my SED rate and the symptoms I was having rather than any other tests.

Published: June 17

One morning I woke up with symmetrical pain in fingers and wrist. A few days later in both knees.

Published: June 16

My hands thumped with pain all the time...especially my thumbs. I started dropping everything I tried to pick up. I would get hot all over sometimes, almost like I had a fever but not. A lot of pain and headaches and a general malaise. Please note...as a child, many years before being diagnosed, I used to cry about my thumbs and wrists hurting and it also correlated to migraines I used to have - this is around 3 to 4 years old.)

Published: June 13

The onset was quick and severe. It seemed one day I was fine, and the next I had a traveling pain that let off somewhat during the day, but at night came back with a vengeance. It started in my elbows, traveled to my wrists to the point where I couldn't grasp or lift a sheet of paper. It traveled to my neck for three days so that I could hardly move my head. The pain hit both knees at different days (mostly the right knee). Finally the pain found its main home in my elbows. The pain at night feels like my forearm will just break off if I roll over. Nothing seems to be very effective in alleviating the pain. It started in March of 08, and I've had it without fail since then.

Published: June 13

I was diagnosed with RA about three years ago at age 21. I never had any symptoms. The doctor said you can test positive and never have any symptoms. Is that true? If I have a few beers, the next few days my fingers feel like pins are sticking in them and are very hard to move. Can certain foods or drinks cause flares?

Published: June 12

For about six months, my feet hurt, especially in the morning or after sitting or resting for any period of time. At the same time, I had stiff hands. Five weeks ago, I went to the doctor because I felt like a truck had hit me...all over fatigue, which then progressed to concentrated pain in my hands/wrists and feet/ankles to the point that I could not do my normal activities. I now have inflammation in my knees, elbows, and shoulders as well. I am on medication, but this initial flare is very hard.

Published: June 12

I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis my main concern is in my hands they have nodules and on the back of my hands I have a large swelling they look very unsightly and are very painful I am on methotrexate pills that are slowing down the process I was 40 when diagnosed I am 50 this year.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?