Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: palmtree lover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Back in 2000 when I was 33 I had an acute case of fatigue and muscle aches but no stiffness or swelling of any joints. This lasted for about 4 months. Then a remission period for about 3 months and since then I have had occasional flares. Rheumatoid factor is positive but I kept telling my rheumatologist he was wrong because I didn't have the usual symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis other people experience, and he kept saying just wait until you are 50. Well, I am 47 now and I am starting to have pain and stiffness in my joints in the middle of the night and the pain will wake me up. I also feel more tired than usual. Maybe the doctor was right.

Comment from: Alli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I started having pain in my left foot. The doctor tested me for gout and it was negative. A couple of months later I started having pain and stiffness in my left hand that was severe at night. The doctor did blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and I tested positive for anti-CCP. Then the pain started spreading to other joints. I had been having fatigue for a long time but it got much worse. I was so tired some days that I didn't feel like driving myself home from work. My eyes were dry and irritated and I had a dry cough. On the days I had extreme fatigue my voice would get weak as well.

Comment from: bbabc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I woke up one morning with a pain in my shoulder and thought I had pulled something in my sleep. The pain continually got worse until using my arm was unbearable, in the mornings especially. I had to take a hot shower to be able to move and get ready for work at all. Over the course of 3 months, as the rheumatoid arthritis progressed, that pain and swelling spread to most of the other joints in my body.

Comment from: miyoshii, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

It happened suddenly about 5 years ago. Pinky finger and ring finger swelled up so painful, red, and bent; looked like I broke my two fingers. Doctor took x-ray and we had a surprise. I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It was so horribly painful and it looks terrible. Now after 5 years I have bent fingers and knobby bones in the same two fingers. It started with an injury, someone I worked with bumped into me. I see it happening on my right hand now just slower. I play the piano and garden to keep positive and take Epsom and sea salt bath almost every day to help me get through my full time job. I also have 8 degenerated discs, 4 in the neck and 4 in the lower back. At my job it is exhausting and I worry that I might not be able to work soon. I am always tired and feel pain more often than before. Not doing the usual stuff I used to do. My feet are getting worse too. I wear steel toe boots and walk on concrete all day. I just hope there is some cure or way to slow it down. I have a lot of living still to do. I also use aromatherapy a lot. I have started breathing exercises and Tai Chi. I hope the best for everyone and thank you for allowing me to share.

Comment from: worrieduk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My knee joints started to hurt first and my muscles around the knee and calf area became painful, then one morning my hands and fingers had pains. Over the months the fingers have started to swell a bit, then my elbows recently have started to hurt and I feel that it is the muscle around the elbow joint and along the arm which are painful. Some days are worse than others, but there is always a dull ache. I am now referring myself to the general physician for further analysis and will look at any diet changes and/or weight loss programs. This onset of rheumatoid arthritis also coincided with me being unable to eat gluten and (possibly) milk products.

Comment from: Rae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 39 and just have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I've had troubles with the balls and joints of both my feet since childhood and have been diagnosed with Morton's neuromas. I suffer pain in the feet every day and now I walk with a limp. My second and third toes roll to the sides and my little toes don't even touch the ground, they sit on the fourth toes. Years ago my wrists began to ache, kind of like a carpal tunnel pain. Two years ago I began getting really tired and just felt unwell. My fingers started to hurt. Being very active I couldn't understand why all of the sudden I started to slow down. I went to the doctors and had blood tests done. It came back that I was anemic so I started taking iron tablets. These didn't work and I was still not feeling well so I went back to the doctors and she investigated further. My blood tests showed a negative RA factor but raised ESR and neutropenia. I was put on prednisolone and felt wonderful after a few days. She referred me to a rheumatologist whom I was lucky to see in 3 weeks. I start taking methotrexate (MTX) next week. Today I experience pain in my feet, fingers, wrists and shoulders. I'm stiff every day, have muscle weakness and I know how my day will be the moment I get out of bed. Most days I feel hot with a temperature over 37.5. I don't sleep well and just feel yuck. At the moment I've got bruising and swelling between thumb and forefingers of both hands which came up yesterday. RA isn't pleasant at all but I try to stay positive because stress makes everything worse.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?