Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: May 15

I had great, great pain in my fingers, and then it stopped for a period and started again. Then one day my toes where in so much pain I wanted to cut my foot off.

Published: May 15

My rheumatoid arthritis was mostly evident in my hands and has been helped by methotrexate to a great degree. I now have symptoms in both shoulders, which apparently is somewhat unusual, and I also have osteoarthritis in the shoulders as well. Celebrex helps with pain but causes me to swell up. My concern is how to prevent further deterioration, not just pain.

Published: May 14

I initially had severe pain in my feet. I could barely walk. I felt silly because there seemed to be no explanation. Eventually, the pain moved to my hands as well, and my joints became swollen and extremely sore. Lab tests confirmed RA. I have been on methotrexate for three months. The pain has returned in my hands, wrists, and elbows but is now more of a tingling, numb feeling. It is very annoying and painful. I am also very fatigued. I will see my rheumatologist next week. Luckily, I feel very comfortable and trust him. I believe that is very important when dealing with this type of disease.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?