Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: May 28

The first signs I experienced with rheumatoid arthritis were pain in the joints of my hands and fingers. Pain in the feet quickly followed, and some pain in the knee joints has now surfaced. A terrible "tiredness" invaded my body, and I now constantly suffer from fatique.

Published: May 28

I was first diagnosed with mild RA in my early 40s. Symptoms were swelling and pain in fingers. Treatment was Plaquenil and Motrin. I switched to a macrobiotic diet and all symptoms disappeared until this past year. (I'm now 66 and used to an active, high-energy lifestyle.) Symptoms began in my feet...pain, stiffness, and swelling. The worst was the chronic fatigue. Pain quickly spread to both hands, wrists, shoulders, arm muscles, neck, and knees. Prednisone relieved all symptoms. My internist also prescribed methotrexate. I'm awaiting my appointment with a rheumatologist in July.

Published: May 28

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at one and a half years old. Both knees were hot, red, and swollen. I now have it in several joints, but exercise, meds, and weight control allow me to work and garden. I am now 39.

Published: May 22

My fingers and hands ache. Also, my knees, elbows, and feet experience extreme pain. My joints are sore and some of my joints are mishapen. One thing that really bothers me is cramping in my toes. No RA factor in the blood work, but my rheumatologist says no doubt about it, I definitely have RA.

Published: May 22

Hi Dr., I am 26 yrs old. I am suffering from multiple body panis for last 4 yrs. Initially i used to get severe pains in back and legs. I could not sit or walk or sleep. I used to roam in the room for whole nights! Many doctors- endocrinologists, neurologists, neurosurgeons tols me that am suffering from disc displacement or depression. The continued medication did not help. Presently i am consulting a rheumatologist. But still the problem persists.

Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with RA at 18 just a month before my 19 birthday, my pain started with my hands hurting, so I just thought maybe it was from typing all day at school; then my feet it got to the point where I could not walk. My mom had to literally pick me up out of bed, help me change, I spent a lot of time crying from pain but now I have just learned to deal with it.

Published: May 20

I have severe fatigue at the end of the day, migrating joint pain, swelling of hands and wrists, pleurisy, and pericarditis.

Published: May 19

Calices at the joints of the fingers, forming both on top and below the joint. X-rays revealed bone erosion. Blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis were negative.

Published: May 19

It feels like a tiny bone or tendon/ligament is out of place. Sharp localized pain usually in one or two areas at a time (wrist, palm, finger). It comes and goes. Years ago, while swimming in fairly cold water, my hands felt warm blood flow as if in warm water but the rest of my body was cool. I believe this was the first onset. Several years later and until this day, I have a dry mouth but only while sleeping.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?