Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 02

I have been just diagnosed with RA 2 weeks ago at age 29. I'm a single mother of a 5 year old. I have just bought my first house and she just started T-Ball. I have always been active in sports and find it hard to believe I can no longer be active with her and do my daily upkeep to the house. It started with the foot to the point I could not walk on it. Off to the doctor and got the blood work done. He put me on the secondary set of medications and all of a sudden now my right hand and fingers won't move. My right side of the body is constantly aching and fatigue is a constant. I fear one day I'll wake up and feel paralyzed. I try not to let the depression of this disease get to me. Please keep your heads up and keep smiling.

Published: May 30

I was just diagnosed by my family doctor with RA two weeks ago through a blood test. It started in two fingers on my right hand and one finger in my left hand. I was put on Naprosyn and after a week didn't feel any different so now I've been taking Prednisone and feel somewhat better. I am seeing a rheumatologist in three weeks.

Published: May 30

I felt fatigue, and I had swollen joints in my hands and fingers.

Published: May 30

I felt pain and swelling in my fingers, wrists and toes. I also experienced weight loss and fatigue.

Published: May 30

I am 25 years old and first noticed symptoms of arthritis when I was about 8. I was a competitive gymnast, and because of this, my doctor brushed off any pain as simply "over doing it." I have never been officially been diagnosed, as specialists always told me I was "too young to have arthritis" and to basically "walk it off." I am convinced that I have RA, and over the years the disease has essentially spread to all of my joints other than my knees. It feels like if I pull on my fingers or try to crack my joints that the bones will pop back into the right place, but nothing seems to help. The pain is often so severe that all I can do is sit and cry in pain. I am reading this webpage now because I am unable to move from my couch.

Published: May 30

At the age of 16 I suddenly awoke one morning with all of my fingers stiff, red, swollen and was unable to bend them at all. Within days I also developed swollen unbending knees and I was in an unbearable amount of pain. After series of exams in search of Lyme disease, my doctor finally diagnosed me with severe juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Throughout the last 20 years the only thing that I find more painful than this disease is acceptance of the limitations placed in my everyday life. I am literally my own worst enemy. I have no idea what a day is like without pain and I pray for a cure within my lifetime that will allow to experience it.

Published: May 28

In my case, the joints of my fingers, toes, and hips began to pain me. At one point, I thought I had gout because one big toe was in pain. Now my hips, knees, lower back, and neck give me pain.

Published: May 28

I am 27 years old, and I was just diagnosed with RA. My knees and hips have ached on and off for a few years now. I thought it was normal. A few months ago, I literally woke up one morning and my right shoulder was screaming in pain. I could barely lift or rotate my arm, and it now hurts everyday. Not too long later, I noticed swelling and pain in the joints of my hands. Blood work and X-rays showed I am RF reactive. I'm waiting to go see the specialist and start my treatment plan.

Published: May 28

The very first symptom I had for my RA was a heat-sensitivity reaction. Having lived in Florida over 20 years, I always tolerated the heat well. Right before my diagnosis, I could not stand the hot weather, which was very strange. Shortly afterward, I had severe pain and joint swelling more on the right side of my body as I am right-handed.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?