Patient Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs

What were your symptoms and signs at the onset of your rheumatoid arthritis?

Published: June 09

Two years ago I started having random inflammations of the joints in my hands and wristsnot symmetrical, just flare-ups that would last a few days, subside only to be replaced by another in a different location. I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis...an incipient stage of the disease. I was first asked to try NSAIDS. For three months I used NSAIDS to no avail. I also did a LOT of reading, discovered that certain foods definitely promoted flare-ups, and decided I wanted to try Minocin. My rheumatologist prescribed it for me, and within two weeks of one a day 100mg the flare-ups had ceased. After six months, I was able to eat all the "forbidden" foods again, and then dropped down to Doxycycline, 100 mg once a day, with nothing on weekends. A few months ago I started forgetting one or two of my weekly doses, and the flareups came back. Restarted with Minocin, then once under control again, dropped back to Doxycline, and am doing just fine. It has now been two full years since it all started.

Published: June 09

I hurt really bad in my joints. My fingers have big knots on the first joint. All my joints hurt all over my body and sore to the touch.

Published: June 09

Pain in my wrist and pinkie fingers which after about 6 months swelling in my left fingers and wrist and then on to swelling in my right hand fingers and knuckles.

Published: June 09

I was diagnosed wtih RA 3 years ago. I came down with the human Parvo virus and my doctor said I had a recessive gene of RA and this virus brought it out in me. My fingers when I woke up looked like sausages because of the swelling, I was so fatigued by noontime, then it moved to my wrists and feet, ankles, knees and hips, lower back, neck. I am now taking Enbrel and it holds me somewhat. I have bad days and good days.

Published: June 09

I was about 35 when I first stated to feel pain in my knee's and hands/wrist (15 years ago). My knees started to ache. I ignored the pain for about 2 months taking Advil for the pain, but it seem to be getting worse and my knees were swelling more each day, so I went in to see my doctor and he ran a few blood test R/A was one of them, he told me I could continue taking the 5 to 6 Advil per day if this was helping the pain, a week or so later I received a notice that no irregularities except for iron poor blood had been found, this was not new since I always seem to have this. About 6 months went by and my knees became so swollen that I could barely walk and was unable to bend them my wrist and hands had also started to hurt and swell. I made another appointment and at that point they sent me to the lab again to recheck for additional illness, a week or so went by, then I was contacted that I had been diagnosed with R/A. I'm really not clear why they didn't find this in the lab results 6 months prior.

Published: June 09

Both of my hands started getting stiff and painful in the morning it happened all of a sudden and gets better as the day goes on.

Published: June 09

Pain in hands: very, very sore and painful in the middle of the night. Wakes me out of a sound sleep. Knee pain: Feels like water under my knee caps. Cannot bend all the way and definitely cannot kneel on them.

Published: June 09

I'm a 28 year old women and i suffer with joint pain in both my wrists and both my knees. I find Biofreeze helps a lot it takes away the pain for a good 3 hrs and I am able to carry on with my work.

Published: June 06

My hands and feet were stiff in the morning but by the afternoon were better. I type at a computer all day so thought I had carpal tunnel. Then in July, I woke up and could not move without extreme pain. To even open the door would make me cry. The doctor took one look at my hands and feet and said it probably was RA. A blood test confirmed it. That was three years ago. I started on prednisone and thought it was a miracle the pain was gone. I am now on methotrexate and humira.

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet Question: Discuss the diet or other lifestyle changes you've made to relieve symptoms and signs of RA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What led to your rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis?