- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Pictures Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Rheumatic Fever - Experience
- Patient Comments: Rheumatic Fever - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Rheumatic Fever - Treatment
- Rheumatic fever (acute rheumatic fever or ARF) facts
- What is rheumatic fever?
- What are the Jones criteria?
- What causes rheumatic fever?
- What are symptoms and signs of rheumatic fever?
- How is rheumatic fever diagnosed?
- How is rheumatic fever treated?
- What are the complications of rheumatic fever?
- How is rheumatic fever prevented?
- How common is rheumatic fever?
How common is rheumatic fever?
In the United States and other developed nations, rheumatic fever is exceedingly rare today, though there have been sporadic outbreaks. This is due to the availability of antibiotics and preventive services. In other parts of the world, it remains a common disease and is the leading cause of cardiovascular death in individuals under the age of 50.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease
"Acute rheumatic fever: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis"