Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?

Comment from: patevan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a 41 year old male who is overweight and diabetic. I decided it was time to start exercising. I did a long walk and then the next day (while in pain from walking) I was up and down a ladder decorating a house for Christmas. By that evening I could barely get out of a chair or even pull myself up. I had to have people help me get up because it felt like my muscles had no energy. Once I was standing, I was able to walk normal. That evening I had gotten up a couple times to go to the bathroom. The third time (at 3:00am) I walked to the kitchen because I was really thirsty. I took a drink and then before I knew it, it was as if someone flicked a switched and turned every muscle in my body off. I immediately went limp and fell quickly into my garbage can and then onto the hard, cold tile. I could barely move and still could not understand what had just happened to me. I then noticed blood dripping down from my elbow and realized I must have hit it against my counter as I fell. I slowly tried to get up and realized my muscles were not going to cooperate with me. So I then managed to slide over to my counter and lift myself up with my weak arms but still could not get up onto my feet. So I slid my way to the bedroom to my cellphone to call my girlfriend. I fell 3 more times trying to walk (and hurt my ankle and knee) I went to the emergency room and they told me I had rhabdomyolysis and I was admitted into the hospital for 3 days to get all my levels back to normal. It is a pretty horrible feeling when every muscle in your body just shuts down, it is nothing to mess around with. The hospital also blamed it on the simvastatin.

Comment from: Gracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 48-year-old female who lives a very healthy and active lifestyle. Two years ago I started feeling some pressure in my chest. Not pain but pressure. I was doing hot yoga about three times a week in addition to spinning classes. After going to the emergency room and several tests later it was determined that I had rhabdomyolysis. My creatine phosphokinase (CPK) levels were around 1100. I was admitted and treated with IV fluids. When I was discharged I was told to just drink a lot of fluids. Since then I do experience some pressure if I do any kind of hard cardio, and I get over heated. I am afraid to do any kind of workouts due to this. I have been told this can reoccur anytime. I can now only do light walking and regular yoga.

Comment from: Saved by a Miracle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My doctor increased my dosage of Crestor to 40 mg, and 11 months later, my GFR fell to 47. I was tired, but the doctor didn't mention the GFR fall. Over the next 10 months I continued taking Crestor. I had four falls and told the doctor, but he still couldn't find anything wrong. By this time I was very weak for another 10 months. I finally collapsed, and after being helped to my feet I returned to the doctor with the help of a walker and another person. The doctor did blood tests and my GFR was 24. She still didn't think anything was medically wrong and said I should go to rehab to improve my core strength. Two days later, I collapsed again and went to the ER. I was admitted with what they thought was alcoholic myopathy. Despite disagreeing with this diagnosis (I don't drink enough alcohol for this to be the cause), they insisted they were right. After three days in the hospital, my liver and kidneys began to fail. This confirmed (in her mind) to the doctor in the hospital that the cause must be alcohol. By that time I was too sick to protest further. On the third day, at my request, I was visited by a doctor from the rehabilitation hospital to have my suitability for rehab tested. He took one look at the medications I was taking (they still had me on Crestor 40 mg), and I heard him tell his assistant that they should cease giving it. Three days later they removed all fluids to let me die. The night of the day the fluids were removed the doctor appeared at my bed, looking flustered, and told me they had "done another test and it was the highest reading they had ever seen." I later found out it was a creatine kinase (CK) test of 100,000 –plus; also advised by the rehab doctor. I was immediately put back on fluids and rushed to intensive care. They inserted a central venous catheter into my jugular and filled my blood up with about 20 bottles of bicarbonate fluid to flush my blood of the byproducts of muscle breakdown. I avoided dialysis and my GFR improved to 35 after I got out of intensive care. Later, the specialist apologized to me for not doing a CK test and not realizing that my rhabdomyolysis was misdiagnosed. I went to rehabilitation for two weeks and my muscles are OK, but my kidneys have been seriously damaged. However, considering I almost died and was only saved by a doctor outside the hospital system, I believe I was the subject of a miracle.

Published: March 21

I am a 59 year old male. I have been on Lipitor for the last 5 years. 10 to 20 milligrams per day. For the past two years I have been feeling my age, so I thought, with aches and pains in my knees, shoulders and hip. A month ago, the pain and swelling would not stop in my knees. I could hardly walk or sleep. I stopped taking Lipitor for two weeks. The pain slowly but surely diminished. I went to my doctor and told him this story. I suggested trying the generic form of Lipitor to him. He agreed and back came the pain. I have stopped taking it for the past week and all that remains is inflammation in one of my knees. The pain in my shoulders and hip are gone! I need to see my doctor soon and tell him that I have stopped taking this drug. Now I feel like a forty year old! Hope this helps you.

Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?