Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?

Comment from: Juggernaut Johnson, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I had always been a very active person. In high school I boxed and played rugby. I joined the Army right out of high school and on my very first day, while doing push ups, my left arm just clasped and gave out on me. Fearing that I was going to get sent home early I didnt tell anyone until a few days later when I couldnt hide my pain and the fact that I couldnt move my arm. I got ammited to a hospital and the doctor told me my cK level was over 150,000. Told me what rhabdo was and put me on bed rest and IV for a week and a day. It sucks now that I'm out I'm afraid to work out because of fear of the pain.

Comment from: MsGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I experienced a bout of rhabdomyolysis after an extremely tough workout with a trainer. Both of my upper arms became extremely swollen and my CPK levels measured 44,000. I was hospitalized for 2 days and given IV fluids which reduced my numbers back to normal. My doctor and I agreed to move very slowly back into the gym after a 4 week waiting period Unfortunately, the first time I put any stress on my arms my CPK level spiked to 1000. Right now it looks like I won't be hitting the gym for a while until we figure out what's going on. I am not on any of the medicines others have mentioned, but I do suffer from rhumatoid arthritis, so we are investigating whether this could be related.

Comment from: Bill W, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I am sitting here in the hospital for the fifth day with rhabdomyolysis which was brought on by starting weight training and being Simvastatin. I've been tethered continually to an IV to rehydrate myself and to flush all the bad stuff out of my blood stream. When I was admitted my CK was over 15,000. Today I am at 1,500. My symptoms included swollen arms (twice their size), lack of range of motion in the arms, and achiness. I was lucky that my kidneys are not damaged and that all other blood markers are normal -- some elevated liver counts -- but within acceptable levels.

Comment from: LPN30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a 30 year old male nurse, so I decide to shape up healthwise. I hit the gym two days in a row, nothing major. I rest the weekend but wake up with blood in my urine. My muscles are sore but that's expected after the workouts. What alarms me, along with hematuria, is my jaws are extremely sore. Almost impossible to open my mouth. I go to the ER and learn my CK levels are above 2,000. I'm admitted for Rhabdomylosis. My stay was 3 days and tons of IV fluids. I didn't experience the excruciating pain I've read others had, but I was definitely scared and shocked the same. I was discharged today and I feel fine, I only hope it stays that way.

Comment from: anonymous a, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

With rhabdomyolis I experienced severe muscles spasms beginning on the left side of my body - a severe pain shot down my left arm and I felt like I was having a heart attack. My husband took me to the emergency room...I was told there was nothing wrong with me -- they did not check my cpk levels or urine. About 5 days later, it happened on the other side of my body. This time it shot down both the front and back of the right half of my body. My husband took me back to the emergency room. Thank God! I had a different doctor this time. She had the sense to check my cpk level and other levels. My cpk had shot to over 900 and my potassium levels were also high. I have stopped taking simvastatin. I was only taking 10 mg. I have undergone weight gain. I have not changed my diet. I have put on about 20 lbs in 11 months. I also take synthroid. This was also checked and monitored. My tsh levels are still in the normal range. The only thing that I can account the weight gain to is the statin rhabdomyolisis. At the time of the onset, I also had dark urine. I still do not have the endurance physically that I used to have before this happened. I am also suffering from tremendous lower back pain. This has been checked recently. I was told that I have arthritis in my back. I make sure I stay hydrated. I'm hopeful that I will fully recover.

Comment from: Jesse16 77, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 18

My 16 year old grandson was diagnosed with severe rhabdomyolysis. He was injured and it caused his small intestine to separate from his bowels. After his injury he could not walk without help and began to immediately vomit. The next day he began to vomit blood which lasted for 5 days. His mom refused to get him any medical help although he was in severe pain, profusely sweating and vomiting blood, and could not move. After 2.5 months the result of his condition is severe muscle, nerve, brain, and cardiac damage. He cannot walk. He is trying to learn to reuse his body and learn how to talk. He is in a wheelchair. He was able to take two steps with a walker.

Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?