Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?

Comment from: pcdgirl16, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am a 16 year old girl and last summer I was at a boot camp for drill team working out in 105 degree weather from 7 in the morning to after 11 at night with minimal water. I passed out and was rushed to the hospital. I was on the renal failure floor with kidney damage, muscle damage, anemia, and low potassium. I had a catheter for 4 days and was in the hospital for 5. I am no longer able to dance, which is one of my passions, and I now battle with depression and anxiety because of it. The thing that scared me the most was the doctors telling me if I had stayed at the boot camp, I wouldn't have made it through the night.

Comment from: Kable, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I developed Rhabdomyolysis after being on Lyrica for a week. I had just had a upper and lower scope to stage my Crohn's Disease and had spent the afternoon recovering. Then I took my wife to dinner for her birthday when I started getting stomach cramps. Within hours every muscle in my body hurt so bad I could barely breath and I could not walk so my wife took me to the local ER. After waiting for 4 hours they ran some blood work and found that I had elevated CK enzyme levels. After 5 more hours they diagnosed me with Rhabdomyolysis and gave me a shot of Tordol and sent me home telling me there was nothing they could do for me. After 3 days of agonizing pain things started to improve but then I started developing a migraine so I took my Topimax medication only to have it cause a relapse of my Rhabdomyolysis. After calling my doctor I was told that they would not see me in the ER and to just drink lots of water. The next day I passed out and was rushed to the ER where they found that my liver and kidneys had shut down. After a week in the hospital I was finally released. The whole time I experienced the worst pain I had ever felt, worse than even passing kidney stones. I still do not understand why they refused to give me anything for the pain or why they refused to see me in the ER and at least give me fluids. What happened to do no harm?

Comment from: fluffy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am wondering if I could possibly have rhabdomyolysis. I started taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia two weeks ago. I started at 150 mg a day and now am taking 300 mg a day. Two days ago, I woke up with very stiff legs. This has not gone away. I did not have this pain before taking Lyrica.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 29 year old female with no large Intestine. I ran a half marathon and it was very cold and began to rain the last 3 miles. I finished strong but was having trouble maintaining my body's temperature. Once home I showered and went to bed. I woke up with terrible cramping in my neck, jaw and hands along with heart palpitations. I drove myself to the ER and was immediately admitted. Rhabdo was found when the Dr ran blood tests to check my electrolytes and creatinine. Lucky for me my Dr was an athlete and suspected it immediately. He wouldn't give me any Toradol for pain until he could clear my blood due to how hard that is on your Kidneys. I'm grateful for a Dr who was on top of things.

Comment from: BCOEMT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

Started having right-sided chest pain a few days ago that gradually intensified and caused shortness of breath. Everyone seemed to think that I had bronchitis, but after going to the ER and having blood work done, it showed that my CPK was over 1500. I was admitted to the hospital and given continuous IV fluids. I have been discharged, but I still feel like crap. The ER doctor seems to think that Lipitor was causing the problems. I do not remember injuring myself, so this seems to be the most obvious reason.

Comment from: stilldontknow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I am a 49 year old female. I had Rhabdomlyosis back in November 2011. They said I had Rhabdomlyosis with CPK levels at 58000. I am healthy female, don't smoke and have never taken drugs. I am not on any meds. They tested me for everything, I was in the hospital for a week. The CPK went down to 1000 when they let me go. To this day we still don't know how or why I got it.

Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?