Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: 26monthsclean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I overdosed on heroin on my birthday, January 21, of 2013. I had been clean for 7 months prior and other than being lonely and bored and having no coping skills, decided to get high 'one more time'. I had sat on the floor to shoot up, and when I went out, must have bent forward at the waist, pinching off my femoral artery to my right leg. My father unexpectedly came home and found me, thank goodness. After many shots of nasal and IV Narcan, and CPR I woke up at the local hospital. My right leg was 3 times the normal size and I had never felt such excruciating pain. The emergency room (ER) doctor hit me with Dilaudid and the next time I woke up it was in the ICU of a hospital. I had zero feeling from midline over and hipbone down on my right side. No feeling, no movement. It was scary. After days of dialysis and IV fluids and I don't know what else, the swelling began to subside, a little. After 7 days I regained some feeling, enough to try to use a walker. It took 2 months to regain the full use of my right leg. I still have two very small 'dead spots' and my leg aches terribly before it is going to rain or snow, but I think of that stuff as my reminders. I am proud to say I have been clean since March 23, 2013 and now work in the recovery field. But that was my experience with rhabdomyolysis, as they so casually call it.

Comment from: Greg, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I am a 22 year old male who started taking a martial arts class along with a weight training class. The classes were not that tough but I was pushing myself to build muscle mass. After 3 weeks of taking these classes, I was changing a light bulb (110 volt) and got a shock. It didn't hurt, caused no pain and I went on with my day and kept working and going to school. The next couple of days passed and I began to get medium to severe muscle tightness and pain on my left side (the side that I got a shock on), but I just thought that I had pulled a muscle from working out. Two days later I woke up and had a seizure-like episode on the opposite side of my body. This happens every time I am standing for too long. I spent 3 days on IV fluids in the hospital and was given medicine for the seizures. Normal CK levels are supposed to be between 60 and 80 (according to my doctor), and mine were at 47,100, indicating rhabdomyolysis. It's been almost a week and I am still having the episodes nearly every time I try to stand up, use the bathroom or take a shower. I am supposed to get my blood drawn again soon to see if my CK levels have dropped. Hopefully it will go away with time.

Comment from: BJS69, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My physician felt due to age, family history and a bit elevated cholesterol that I should be on Crestor. After about 8 days of taking this medication my right thigh and right knee began to ache then blossomed into unrelenting pain. Additionally, my left leg began to tingle. I realized that the only change I had made in my lifestyle was being on a statin. I will never take a statin again. I am still having pain in my right thigh and knee which continues to diminish. This pain was definitely a 10 so, beware as I truly believe I had rhabdomyolysis which can lead to having to be put on renal dialysis in some cases.

Comment from: Richard,B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 17

On my way back to bed, after a trip to the bathroom, I passed out and fell to the floor where I remained for two days, unconscious. After my relative found me I went to the hospital for a week then to rehab for a few more weeks to be able to walk normally. I have no memory of my hospital stay. I've been home now for 6 months and still have severe pain in my lower back, off and on. All I get is pain pills from my doctor for my rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Dria, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after having a severe panic attack one day at work. I was rushed downstairs (I work in the hospital) with chest pain and tightness and after having numerous lab tests done I was told my CPK levels were over 5,000. I had to flush my kidneys with plenty of IV fluids and had to drink plenty of water for 2 days, and when I was released after my levels came down to 2,000. I still experienced some chest tightness and had to repeat lab tests for the next two weeks with a final CPK level of 248. It was definitely a very scary moment and makes me even more afraid that it could happen again. I think my strenuous workouts at the gym must have triggered it because I am not on any medications.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?