Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Frich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

After having read many of the other patient's comments and poor outcome from having taking some of the statins drugs, it causes me to feel rather lucky for myself. I have been taking 80mg of Zocor everyday for eleven years and at the age of 65, I am very active, flexible, no muscle pain or weakness, walk about 2 to 3 miles a day etc. Apparently I escaped some of the poor side affects that others have experienced. I am sorry for them as I read their medical comments.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with rhabdomylysis after a week in basic training. I.V.'s and blood tests for a week after that, and I was sent home looking like a junky with healing track marks My CK level was at 3,700 the first time they checked, and they stopped checking it when it went down to 600.

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was mountaineering in Italy and after a couple of tough days walking up to about 2,800 meters each day I was sick and my heart rate went up. My heart rate did not come down all night. The next day I went to hospital and was put into Intensive Care where I was on a drip and my heart monitored. My CPK level was at 16,300 (normal around 195). I was transferred to a medical ward, but it took 5 days to get my levels down to 440 at which point the hospital were happy to release me to return home. I had trained and was fit and healthy. I have never had anything like this before. I was told that the cause was over-exertion of the muscles. It is likely heat, altitude and dehydration were factors (despite drinking plenty of water).

Comment from: Page, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I was prescribed Lipitor a couple years ago and within 10 days I was on my hands and knees with nearly all the symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. I took myself off and recovered. Last April, another doctor, I was prescribed Provastatin and was on it for 8 months and again I got everything really bad. Some fingers and toes are crippled with severe joint problems. I slide in and out of Alzheimer's like conditions, fatigue, rapid hot\cold flashes. This is near three months after I took myself off the Statin. No more Statins.

Comment from: Joanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Rhabdomyolysis, sounds like I have it. For 8 years I have suffered with muscle pain and unable to walk over 100 ft. I have been on Pravachol for several years. My Doctor insists it is not the medication. I have been to a clinic for by-pass on my leg. MRI's, orthopedics, neuro-surgeons, etc. They all said it was vascular or bulging discs. I just finished many weeks of P.T. Nothing has changed. I have muscle pain at night. I went off for 6 weeks on my own. Doctors just can't figure it out.

Comment from: teric, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I started Lovastatin 3 months ago and experienced muscle pain and weakness after 1 month. I also had a fever for 2 weeks with no other symptoms. I had to figure this out on my own when I stopped the statin drug and asked the pharmacist. He told me about Rhabdomyolysis. I'm still having symptoms after almost 2 weeks of no medications. I read it may take a few weeks to go away and lots of fluids help the dehydration aspect. Now I'm back to diet and exercise. No more statins for me!

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have this and have been on Tricor and Simvastatin for along time. From what I read this is not recommended (my cholesterol and triglycerides are normal and have been for several years). Why didn't my doctor change my meds or at least test for this?

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?