Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: lee1209, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 71-year-old male in good health. I have been taking Zocor (generic name simvastatin) for the past two years. For the last year, I have had severe leg cramps and aches. My doctor prescribed ibuprofen. I can't take it any longer and will discontinue the meds on my own and try to drink lots to stop the pain. I also have been stumbling a lot. Thanks for this information about the meds.

Comment from: kmmommy1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 35-year-old female that was in the Fire Academy. I was a week into the training when, during a run, my left leg went numb. I had severe pain from my hip to my toe. I decided to get treatment, and within hours, I was admitted into the hospital with a CK level of 12,965. I was surprised by the diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis. I had never heard of this. I didn't go into kidney or liver failure, but I was in the hospital for three days with fluids and pain management. It has been four weeks and although my CK is normal, I feel like crap and my leg has significant pain and swelling still.

Comment from: strungout067, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I'm a mother of a then 14 year old boy who had a severe asthma attack. He was brought back spent (9 months in hospital) during his stay in ICU occurred Rhabdomyolysis which has left my son now 24 years old completely disabled because they (doctors) didn't catch or didn't know what they were doing. I couldn't sue because he was 14 and not an infant, but at the end my son was overdosed by Propofol people need to understand the concept of off-label use on medications for you or your loved ones who receive treatments in the hospital.

Comment from: sparky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had always been strong, healthy, and overweight. Simvastatin was prescribed because of cholesterol. I became increasingly tired, felt flu like muscle weakness, tendinitis on both arms legs, headaches and dizziness as well as other symptoms that were not the "top two" the doctors asked about (cramps and pain). I had those intermittently, but passed them off as something I got from yard work, or hiking. After losing 30 pounds I was much weaker than before I began my prescription. I was sent to a heart doctor because blood tests came back showing muscle breakdown. Heart stress test was good, but the doctor was brainwashed into believing that if you could get cholesterol down under 180 you'd be wonderful. It almost killed me with the side affects. I quit my Statin, and 2 plus months later I am feeling better, but still not back to where I was. Statins work by suppressing the liver function. They keep the liver from manufacturing cholesterol, but also prevent it from accomplishing its other tasks including manufacturing other important body enzymes. For recovery you must take minerals --Magnesium selenium, calcium and more. One must take CoQ10, as this is what is necessary for liver to make for muscle repair and is suppressed by statins. Also need vitamins A and D. When on a statin you may not die from heart attack--your heart my just give out due to increased statin induced weakness affecting all the muscles.

Comment from: traderjo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

Five years ago I joined the Jupiter study of Crestor. I felt pain and muscle weakness with dark colored urine after the second month. I stopped the Crestor, and the pain subsided after a few days, but I still had all the other symptoms, vertigo, fatigue, weakness in my legs. Now after 5 years I feel that the symptoms have gotten worse except for the vertigo. At the time Astra Zeneca said to go to my family doctor who did blood work. He said there was no Kidney/liver damage.

Comment from: Wanting to Workout, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Well I had an episode 12 years ago where my CPK numbers were 240,000 (they should be no higher than 100). Then this year I was rushed to the hospital for the dark colored urine and CPK numbers of 280,000. I too felt like a junk after all the tests and blood drawn. Now I am awaiting a muscle biopsy, since the swelling and the inability to lift and walk for a long period of time has not gone away. I am really skeptic that nothing will be found and I won't be able to get back in the gym, and get my body back to what it use to look and feel like.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?