Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: angel wise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am very frustrated I have chronic kidney disease (CKD), auto immune disease, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), frontal lobe syndrome, migraines, and asthma and have been hospitalized four times for rhabdomyolysis and my specialist has yet to figure out why this keeps happening. As of right now I am not allowed to do anything strenuous or physical and I was a basketball and soccer coach previously.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a 50 year old female with polycystic kidney disease, have hypothyroidism, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I increased my walking regime to nearly 4 miles a day on hilly terrain. After two weeks, I felt uncoordinated, couldn"t walk in time to my music, felt weak, and couldn"t use my arms as I had been. Also couldn"t sleep and had heavy, irregular heart beat and heaviness in chest. Primary doctor said it was too much thyroid medication without doing any sort of physical exam. I went to walk in clinic, was sent to the emergency room where myoglobin and CK were detected in blood work, indicating rhabdomyolysis. I will go for blood work one week later. I stopped Plaquenil and Lipitor. I still feel weak, and very thirsty.

Comment from: pja, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My husband had been taking 20 to 40 mg of Lipitor for several years. I had noticed from time to time that he seemed dazed. One day he was driving and drifted off and ran into the curb and almost had a bad accident. Since he is diabetic, I thought his insulin level was low. Then about two months later, he had a bad seizure which put him in the hospital for three weeks. His muscle enzymes were 138,000 and he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. When we returned from out of town, I took him to his personal physician who swore it was not caused by the statin. And after 2 months, he put him back on another statin - in one week he had another seizure and was removed from taking statins forever. As his wife, I am still very angry. This was several years ago. His cholesterol is now 320 and a new doctor put him on Zetia. We have been watching him closely and after two weeks, he seems ok.

Comment from: Courtney, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My daughter's father one day decided he was going to exercise and suddenly had a seizure. He apparently had CK Levels in the thousands and was super dehydrated. It's crazy this rhabdomyolysis just happened so suddenly.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

My cardiologist increased my Lipitor dosage to 80mg daily. I exercise by riding my bike 3 to 4 times a week 60 to 100 miles per week. Since the increase in dosage my leg power has reduced and my muscles in my legs are very sore and fatigued. I have tried resting 4 to 5 days without the leg exercise. My legs are still very sore and fatigued.

Comment from: lee1209, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 71-year-old male in good health. I have been taking Zocor (generic name simvastatin) for the past two years. For the last year, I have had severe leg cramps and aches. My doctor prescribed ibuprofen. I can't take it any longer and will discontinue the meds on my own and try to drink lots to stop the pain. I also have been stumbling a lot. Thanks for this information about the meds.

Comment from: kmmommy1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 35-year-old female that was in the Fire Academy. I was a week into the training when, during a run, my left leg went numb. I had severe pain from my hip to my toe. I decided to get treatment, and within hours, I was admitted into the hospital with a CK level of 12,965. I was surprised by the diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis. I had never heard of this. I didn't go into kidney or liver failure, but I was in the hospital for three days with fluids and pain management. It has been four weeks and although my CK is normal, I feel like crap and my leg has significant pain and swelling still.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?