Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: angelgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been on Crestor for 3 1/2 months now and about 2 weeks ago I started having crippling muscle spasms in my legs and arms. I called a doctor and she said Crestor doesn't cause muscle spasms. So now I have constant muscle aching in upper front thighs and area between armpits and breast. It's keeping me up in pain at night and I barely can walk.

Comment from: cejane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was prescribed Crestor at the lowest dose and within a week I experienced muscle tenderness in my forearms. I felt the need to massage them and put heat on them with little to no relief. The next set of muscles to be affected were my calf muscles. I take aspirin to relieve the aching, but the weakness of my muscles is what prompted me to discontinue the medication. Gradually, the symptoms began to reverse.

Comment from: Jessmarie1005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was on Simvastatin for only 5 days, but my symptoms started on the 2nd day. I had terrible muscle and joint pain that basically kept me in bed for three days. My doctor failed to tell me about this particular side effect. It just happened to be a weekend and I could not call him. He only warned me about headaches and stomach pain, neither of which I had. I will never take a statin again. He immediately took me off the drug. Doctors should really be more thorough about serious side effects of these drugs!

Comment from: lm1308, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My brother has this. He went on a night out and fell asleep sitting up on the chair next day he was rushed to hospital where we discovered he also had acute kidney failure. He has been in hospital almost 2 weeks now and is still needing dialysis, his legs are extremely swollen and they doctors don't know why his leg has got worse. His CK levels were 140,000 when he first went in. They are now down to 1000. It's scary to know that lying in the wrong position could have killed him.

Comment from: Jessmarie1005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Comment from: Frich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

After having read many of the other patient's comments and poor outcome from having taking some of the statins drugs, it causes me to feel rather lucky for myself. I have been taking 80mg of Zocor everyday for eleven years and at the age of 65, I am very active, flexible, no muscle pain or weakness, walk about 2 to 3 miles a day etc. Apparently I escaped some of the poor side affects that others have experienced. I am sorry for them as I read their medical comments.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with rhabdomylysis after a week in basic training. I.V.'s and blood tests for a week after that, and I was sent home looking like a junky with healing track marks My CK level was at 3,700 the first time they checked, and they stopped checking it when it went down to 600.

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was mountaineering in Italy and after a couple of tough days walking up to about 2,800 meters each day I was sick and my heart rate went up. My heart rate did not come down all night. The next day I went to hospital and was put into Intensive Care where I was on a drip and my heart monitored. My CPK level was at 16,300 (normal around 195). I was transferred to a medical ward, but it took 5 days to get my levels down to 440 at which point the hospital were happy to release me to return home. I had trained and was fit and healthy. I have never had anything like this before. I was told that the cause was over-exertion of the muscles. It is likely heat, altitude and dehydration were factors (despite drinking plenty of water).

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?