Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Daizyiz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had rhabdomyolysis and heat stroke at the same time. I was running in a collegiate race during the fall and the next thing I knew I was unable to move, throwing up, and waiting for an ambulance with a temperature of 104. It was the most pain I've ever experienced, and I lost about 8 pounds in 3 days until I was finally kept in the hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis (after I urinated what looked like coffee). The recovery has been very difficult, and I worry that I may have kidney problems because I have so much protein in my urine even after altering my diet to contain less. I was taking Bactrim and 150 mg of spironolactone at the time for acne, and think it was a contributing factor to my case.

Comment from: theatregirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had rhabdomyolysis in March of this year. I was in my apartment for two days, going in and out of consciousness and when I was 'awake', I hallucinated, thought people were in my apartment and they were trying to kidnap my granddaughter. I couldn't walk, my legs hurt too badly and I couldn't get up at all so I scooted around on my bottom. The only thing I could reach was the milk in the fridge so I drank milk, had to pee in the trash can because I couldn't reach the toilet and don't ask me how I knew where my phone was, but I found it and called the police to report the 'people' in my apartment. They came, I kept saying 'don't you see them, they're right there!' They called my kids who came over at 3 in the morning and they convinced me to go to the hospital. Ambulance came and I was in ICU for about a week. Really, the only thing I remember that whole week was the catheter bag they showed me, my urine was the color of coke. If I waited any longer, I would have been dead in less than 24 hours. It's June, and I still have a lot of pain in my left arm and right leg and hip. It's starting to hurt in my right shoulder too.

Comment from: cold war coastie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have enjoyed good health with mild hypertension managed by calcium channel blocker and diuretic, with regular blood pressure readings below 120/80. My cholesterol numbers are all outstanding. Following carotid scan which showed approximately 30% narrowing on both sides and was characterized as 'mild'. Primary care suggested 10 mg pravastatin to minimize future stroke risk. Forty-five days later I began to feel muscle pain in lower legs which increased in severity to a point it woke me for several days in succession. I returned to the doctor and CPK indicates mild rhabdomyolysis. I stopped statin and began rehydration/flush and will return for retest in a week or two. For me, statins are out and I suggest others be very careful when considering statin therapy.

Comment from: Sten cell1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had rhabdomyolysis in my right leg. I was unconscious for 19 hours, when I awoke on my right side on concrete floor I had purple dots on my leg. I tried to walk but my leg kept collapsing. After being admitted to hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis they flushed the muscle, out of my blood stream. Years later the nerve damage and muscle weakness remains. I am looking into stem cell trials with great interest.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 47 year old female. I began to have muscle spasms in my left leg about 2 times per week, suddenly they stopped. I noticed my legs were always tired and it was hard for me to climb stairs, along with this I had swelling in my legs, ankles, feet and then my knees on a daily basis and it became a bit painful. I"ve been experiencing joint pains in my right elbow which limits my reach mobility. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis in October 2013 and admitted to hospital, where my fluids were replenished. I continue to suffer from the swelling almost daily.

Comment from: Overtrainer, 19-24 (Patient) Published: December 30

During school I get increasingly stressed. In order to feel better and cope I tend to workout harder than I should. This caused my rhabdomyolysis. It felt like a balloon filling up my inner chest. Since it was something that I have never experienced I thought it was just gas in my upper stomach/esophagus. It was a very scary experience simply because the pain was so close to my heart so I was worried something was wrong. They told me that I should just work out a normal amount and most importantly, provide time for recovery. It was surprising because I have no medications or alcoholism. One reason I could see it happening is I recently broke my leg and had surgery to repair it. I think the degradation of the leg muscle attributed to the increase of muscle fibers breaking down and not repairing.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?