Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: cold war coastie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have enjoyed good health with mild hypertension managed by calcium channel blocker and diuretic, with regular blood pressure readings below 120/80. My cholesterol numbers are all outstanding. Following carotid scan which showed approximately 30% narrowing on both sides and was characterized as 'mild'. Primary care suggested 10 mg pravastatin to minimize future stroke risk. Forty-five days later I began to feel muscle pain in lower legs which increased in severity to a point it woke me for several days in succession. I returned to the doctor and CPK indicates mild rhabdomyolysis. I stopped statin and began rehydration/flush and will return for retest in a week or two. For me, statins are out and I suggest others be very careful when considering statin therapy.

Comment from: Sten cell1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had rhabdomyolysis in my right leg. I was unconscious for 19 hours, when I awoke on my right side on concrete floor I had purple dots on my leg. I tried to walk but my leg kept collapsing. After being admitted to hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis they flushed the muscle, out of my blood stream. Years later the nerve damage and muscle weakness remains. I am looking into stem cell trials with great interest.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 47 year old female. I began to have muscle spasms in my left leg about 2 times per week, suddenly they stopped. I noticed my legs were always tired and it was hard for me to climb stairs, along with this I had swelling in my legs, ankles, feet and then my knees on a daily basis and it became a bit painful. I"ve been experiencing joint pains in my right elbow which limits my reach mobility. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis in October 2013 and admitted to hospital, where my fluids were replenished. I continue to suffer from the swelling almost daily.

Comment from: Overtrainer, 19-24 (Patient) Published: December 30

During school I get increasingly stressed. In order to feel better and cope I tend to workout harder than I should. This caused my rhabdomyolysis. It felt like a balloon filling up my inner chest. Since it was something that I have never experienced I thought it was just gas in my upper stomach/esophagus. It was a very scary experience simply because the pain was so close to my heart so I was worried something was wrong. They told me that I should just work out a normal amount and most importantly, provide time for recovery. It was surprising because I have no medications or alcoholism. One reason I could see it happening is I recently broke my leg and had surgery to repair it. I think the degradation of the leg muscle attributed to the increase of muscle fibers breaking down and not repairing.

Comment from: Noni, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was a 49 year old woman who was exercising regularly. I was on Zocor 20mg for 4 months. Blood work done 2 weeks prior to being diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis came back normal. I became very ill 2 weeks after the lab work and was hospitalized for 6 1/2 weeks and was on dialysis for several months and daily for over a month. My CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level was sent to a special lab for an accurate value and the lab stopped the test when it hit one million. I had speech, physical and occupational therapy for months and then off and on for several years. I am 60 years old and still suffer with muscle weakness and pain. Swimming is the best exercise. Cold is my enemy. I lost muscle mass that did not grow back and I fatigue easy.

Comment from: gturrentine88, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 16

I was about 14 when I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. I noticed I had significantly dark urine and immediately notified my parents. From there I went to the children's hospital and they told me I had the flu and sent me home. It wasn't until the next day when I got worse that they finally admitted me and after vigorous tests, it was confirmed I had it. My story is unique because only my maternal grandmother and great uncle have it (my uncle is deceased) and there is still no underlying factor discovered that tells me what triggers it. My CPK (creatine phosphokinase) has been as high as 200k! Doctors are flabbergasted and I still have many unanswered questions. I'm getting my daughters tested just to make sure they aren't carriers.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?