Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: B K, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was found unconscious after being on the floor for approximately 15 hours. I regained consciousness when my daughter found me. But I had no idea how I ended up on the floor and what had happened. In the emergency room (ER) my blood work was done and my CK was over 5,000. I had rhabdomyolysis throughout my skeletal muscle system. I was hospitalized for 6 days with a massive amount of continual fluids via IV. Constant fluids were started to flush the toxins from my blood through my kidneys. Today my CK level was 1,009 and they let me go home. A definite scare for my daughter finding me and my struggle to clear my body of toxins along with fighting CML (chronic myeloid leukemia) for the last 6 1/2 years.

Comment from: In Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am a 48 year old woman, I began taking atorvastatin calcium tablets for about almost two months. I began to notice that while sitting in my rocking chair at night for about ten to fifteen minutes, I would stand up and my legs felt stiff, and numb, I would try to walk and would stagger as if I were drunk. It was not normal. I also began having a lot of muscle spasms in my back, my stomach and on my toes, and that was not normal. My shoulders began to hurt as well, I just wondered why all this was happening to me. I have a herniated disk in my back, and thought maybe that is what is causing me all this. My legs from ankles up to my hips felt like I had a bad sun burn, and anything that touched it had a burning sensation. That was when I made an appointment with my orthopedic doctor and told him the symptoms that I was experiencing and showed him the two new medicines I had recently been put on. He immediately said to stop taking the atorvastatin which was most likely causing all my symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. I hope this helps anyone having these symptoms.

Comment from: Daizyiz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had rhabdomyolysis and heat stroke at the same time. I was running in a collegiate race during the fall and the next thing I knew I was unable to move, throwing up, and waiting for an ambulance with a temperature of 104. It was the most pain I've ever experienced, and I lost about 8 pounds in 3 days until I was finally kept in the hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis (after I urinated what looked like coffee). The recovery has been very difficult, and I worry that I may have kidney problems because I have so much protein in my urine even after altering my diet to contain less. I was taking Bactrim and 150 mg of spironolactone at the time for acne, and think it was a contributing factor to my case.

Comment from: theatregirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had rhabdomyolysis in March of this year. I was in my apartment for two days, going in and out of consciousness and when I was 'awake', I hallucinated, thought people were in my apartment and they were trying to kidnap my granddaughter. I couldn't walk, my legs hurt too badly and I couldn't get up at all so I scooted around on my bottom. The only thing I could reach was the milk in the fridge so I drank milk, had to pee in the trash can because I couldn't reach the toilet and don't ask me how I knew where my phone was, but I found it and called the police to report the 'people' in my apartment. They came, I kept saying 'don't you see them, they're right there!' They called my kids who came over at 3 in the morning and they convinced me to go to the hospital. Ambulance came and I was in ICU for about a week. Really, the only thing I remember that whole week was the catheter bag they showed me, my urine was the color of coke. If I waited any longer, I would have been dead in less than 24 hours. It's June, and I still have a lot of pain in my left arm and right leg and hip. It's starting to hurt in my right shoulder too.

Comment from: cold war coastie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have enjoyed good health with mild hypertension managed by calcium channel blocker and diuretic, with regular blood pressure readings below 120/80. My cholesterol numbers are all outstanding. Following carotid scan which showed approximately 30% narrowing on both sides and was characterized as 'mild'. Primary care suggested 10 mg pravastatin to minimize future stroke risk. Forty-five days later I began to feel muscle pain in lower legs which increased in severity to a point it woke me for several days in succession. I returned to the doctor and CPK indicates mild rhabdomyolysis. I stopped statin and began rehydration/flush and will return for retest in a week or two. For me, statins are out and I suggest others be very careful when considering statin therapy.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?