Patient Comments: Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: Richard,B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 17

On my way back to bed, after a trip to the bathroom, I passed out and fell to the floor where I remained for two days, unconscious. After my relative found me I went to the hospital for a week then to rehab for a few more weeks to be able to walk normally. I have no memory of my hospital stay. I've been home now for 6 months and still have severe pain in my lower back, off and on. All I get is pain pills from my doctor for my rhabdomyolysis.

Comment from: clayton c., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have been just discharged from the hospital today with rhabdomyolysis. I fell 8 times the day before. My right foot is in temporary cast. I have got cellulitis with breaking open of heel.

Comment from: angel wise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am very frustrated I have chronic kidney disease (CKD), auto immune disease, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), frontal lobe syndrome, migraines, and asthma and have been hospitalized four times for rhabdomyolysis and my specialist has yet to figure out why this keeps happening. As of right now I am not allowed to do anything strenuous or physical and I was a basketball and soccer coach previously.

Comment from: Dria, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after having a severe panic attack one day at work. I was rushed downstairs (I work in the hospital) with chest pain and tightness and after having numerous lab tests done I was told my CPK levels were over 5,000. I had to flush my kidneys with plenty of IV fluids and had to drink plenty of water for 2 days, and when I was released after my levels came down to 2,000. I still experienced some chest tightness and had to repeat lab tests for the next two weeks with a final CPK level of 248. It was definitely a very scary moment and makes me even more afraid that it could happen again. I think my strenuous workouts at the gym must have triggered it because I am not on any medications.

Comment from: B K, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was found unconscious after being on the floor for approximately 15 hours. I regained consciousness when my daughter found me. But I had no idea how I ended up on the floor and what had happened. In the emergency room (ER) my blood work was done and my CK was over 5,000. I had rhabdomyolysis throughout my skeletal muscle system. I was hospitalized for 6 days with a massive amount of continual fluids via IV. Constant fluids were started to flush the toxins from my blood through my kidneys. Today my CK level was 1,009 and they let me go home. A definite scare for my daughter finding me and my struggle to clear my body of toxins along with fighting CML (chronic myeloid leukemia) for the last 6 1/2 years.

Comment from: In Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am a 48 year old woman, I began taking atorvastatin calcium tablets for about almost two months. I began to notice that while sitting in my rocking chair at night for about ten to fifteen minutes, I would stand up and my legs felt stiff, and numb, I would try to walk and would stagger as if I were drunk. It was not normal. I also began having a lot of muscle spasms in my back, my stomach and on my toes, and that was not normal. My shoulders began to hurt as well, I just wondered why all this was happening to me. I have a herniated disk in my back, and thought maybe that is what is causing me all this. My legs from ankles up to my hips felt like I had a bad sun burn, and anything that touched it had a burning sensation. That was when I made an appointment with my orthopedic doctor and told him the symptoms that I was experiencing and showed him the two new medicines I had recently been put on. He immediately said to stop taking the atorvastatin which was most likely causing all my symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. I hope this helps anyone having these symptoms.

Comment from: Daizyiz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had rhabdomyolysis and heat stroke at the same time. I was running in a collegiate race during the fall and the next thing I knew I was unable to move, throwing up, and waiting for an ambulance with a temperature of 104. It was the most pain I've ever experienced, and I lost about 8 pounds in 3 days until I was finally kept in the hospital and diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis (after I urinated what looked like coffee). The recovery has been very difficult, and I worry that I may have kidney problems because I have so much protein in my urine even after altering my diet to contain less. I was taking Bactrim and 150 mg of spironolactone at the time for acne, and think it was a contributing factor to my case.

Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis?
Rhabdomyolysis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for rhabdomyolysis?