Patient Comments: Reye's Syndrome - What Happens?

Have you ever known anyone with Reye's syndrome? If so, what was the progression of the illness?

Comment from: tmdogs4, Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I was 8 years old and had Reye's syndrome. I was one of 50 cases in Kansas that had it and only one of 5 that made it. I was in the 3rd stage before they caught it and by the time I got to the hospital I was in the 5th stage. I was very lucky, but now I have spinal stenosis, spinal bifida, scoliosis and arthritis. I just live day by day and have problems every day.

Reye's Syndrome - Experience and Concerns Question: Do you avoid taking aspirin and giving it to your children for fear of developing Reye's syndrome? Please share your concerns.
Reye's Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Have you or your child ever had symptoms similar to Reye's syndrome? What was the diagnosis?