Patient Comments: Reye's Syndrome - Experience and Concerns

Do you avoid taking aspirin and giving it to your children for fear of developing Reye's syndrome? Please share your concerns.

Comment from: mom, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had Reye's when I was 16 and I got arthritis in my knees from it. I was the 1st one in the state of WI to have it. I'm now 53 the doctor told my parents that I was spoiled & sent them home only to be called right back to let them know this is what I had.

Comment from: janus, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My son has been diagnosed with Kawasaki disease. After he received treatment his cardiac pediatrician advised us to give him aspirin due to the enlargement of an artery. We are looking for other options to avoid giving him aspirin.

Comment from: RJ, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My sister died of that when she was 5yrs old, back in the mid 70s. To this day I still hate taking aspirin and my son has NEVER been given it.

Reye's Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Have you or your child ever had symptoms similar to Reye's syndrome? What was the diagnosis?
Reye's Syndrome - What Happens? Question: Have you ever known anyone with Reye's syndrome? If so, what was the progression of the illness?