Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Azdesertfoxx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I woke up one morning and saw black dots floating in my vision. I went to the eye doctor who said retina looked fine. One week later I woke up with more dots. Again the eye doctor said retina looked fine. She showed me how it looked like the vitreous was pulling on it. Two weeks later a moon shaped floater appeared. I waited 5 days before going to the eye doctor and she said I had a horseshoe tear. I had an emergency surgery 2 days later. I had to get the oil due to living in higher altitude. Oil removal was 6 weeks later. There is still a little oil bubble but doctor said it should burp out when I get the ultimate cataract surgery. Let's hope so. I get new glasses in a week where I hope vision is much clearer. I have not driven since before Christmas. Other eye had detached retina in high school. The current one is due to old age (sticky vitreous).

Comment from: MD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I noticed a transparent floater for a few weeks in my right eye so I went to see an optometrist who agreed it was just a floater. I wasn't happy with his diagnosis so I went to see a retinal surgeon and had a gas vitrectomy to repair the retinal detachment, the next day. The surgeon told me nothing about the recovery process nor the risks involved except to guarantee a cataract in 2 years. Most of my eyesight has been saved but I have lost 20 percent of my peripheral vision due to the surgery. Apparently in some people the gas dehydrates the retina. I'm -8.5 and still getting worse!

Comment from: JanSooCan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

The only symptom I had before discovering my retinal detachment was seeing floaters. I saw what looked like fruit flies. There was no pain at all.

Comment from: Zanele, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My chest was tight and I had shortness of breath. My son called 911, then my doctor sent me to a specialist, and then they told me that there was a clot in my lungs. I stayed in the hospital for 17 days to treat the pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am going on my 3rd retinal detachment surgery on the same eye in 3 months. First was gas bubble in December, scarring caused retina to detach 1 month later! I had laser to remove scar, repair the hole, buckle, and silicon oil. My eye felt like an ice pick was jabbed in my eye! Three weeks later it detached again! The doctor wanted to wait for the scar to form better to remove! He will remove oil and scar, fix tear, possibly remove cataract and put oil back! I am in the 10 percent to have the scar removed in the retina! I just hope I can see in my left eye again!

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had the surgery to repair retinal detachment over a year back. I still have gas in the eye I had surgery on. Retinal tear is caused by many factors, for me it was itching and pressure. For now I am relying on my left eye to see if the remaining gas gets released. I wonder if anyone's pupil enlarged and stay that way.

Comment from: Sabel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Last July 13, I woke up in the morning with my right eye looking very red as in, it had blood clot in it. It was not painful nor itchy though but I was a bit worried because that was the first time I had it. I didn't seek medical assistance right away. What I did was I used cold cucumber slices like patches in my eyes during night time for 3 consecutive days. Thank goodness it helped a little bit. The dark red color became lighter. But just to make sure that nothing is really serious, I went to see an ophthalmologist, and bingo! I have retinal degeneration. As of the moment, the specialist told me that there's nothing to worry because it's an age related problem. And for the floaters, she said that everybody is experiencing it but I must be vigilant about its size and frequency of appearance. I will be turning 53 soon.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.