Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Azdesertfoxx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I woke up one morning and saw black dots floating in my vision. I went to the eye doctor who said retina looked fine. One week later I woke up with more dots. Again the eye doctor said retina looked fine. She showed me how it looked like the vitreous was pulling on it. Two weeks later a moon shaped floater appeared. I waited 5 days before going to the eye doctor and she said I had a horseshoe tear. I had an emergency surgery 2 days later. I had to get the oil due to living in higher altitude. Oil removal was 6 weeks later. There is still a little oil bubble but doctor said it should burp out when I get the ultimate cataract surgery. Let's hope so. I get new glasses in a week where I hope vision is much clearer. I have not driven since before Christmas. Other eye had detached retina in high school. The current one is due to old age (sticky vitreous).

Comment from: MD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I noticed a transparent floater for a few weeks in my right eye so I went to see an optometrist who agreed it was just a floater. I wasn't happy with his diagnosis so I went to see a retinal surgeon and had a gas vitrectomy to repair the retinal detachment, the next day. The surgeon told me nothing about the recovery process nor the risks involved except to guarantee a cataract in 2 years. Most of my eyesight has been saved but I have lost 20 percent of my peripheral vision due to the surgery. Apparently in some people the gas dehydrates the retina. I'm -8.5 and still getting worse!

Comment from: JanSooCan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

The only symptom I had before discovering my retinal detachment was seeing floaters. I saw what looked like fruit flies. There was no pain at all.

Comment from: dj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I am having my 5th retinal detachment surgery tomorrow. I have the buckle in since November 2016 and keep getting fluid buildup which can cause other detachments. I have had 3 different surgeons, all in the same practice, but have not had success. I have faith in my surgeons, but no one can explain to me why the fluid builds up. The last surgery I had was last week, and the follow up visit the next day did not reveal any issues. It was the 3rd day after surgery that I noticed the fluid in my eye.

Comment from: Zanele, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My chest was tight and I had shortness of breath. My son called 911, then my doctor sent me to a specialist, and then they told me that there was a clot in my lungs. I stayed in the hospital for 17 days to treat the pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Clara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a second detached retina due to scar tissue from previous surgery for detached retina 2 weeks earlier. I'm looking at reasons why some people develop scar tissue.

Comment from: Williams, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had four ear infections over 2 years, only in my right ear. I fractured my right jaw in 1998. I have numbness on the right side of my face, eye sensitivity, headaches every day. I wonder if the fracture to the right side of my face could cause all these infections, only to the right ear.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.