Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My retinal detachment happened to me at age 30. No other health issues, it just randomly happened. I noticed a floater in eye which prompted me to seek help. No treatment was offered.

Comment from: snap1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I am on my 3rd detached retina. The first one occurred about 12 years ago. And seems to be holding its own with the scleral buckle. The second occurred 7 years ago in the other eye. I have always had trouble with tons of floaters in this eye after the surgery with the scleral buckle; to the point I would have to blink my eye to get them to move so that I could see what I was reading. Now, seven years later here I am with another detached retina in the second eye, having it repaired with the gas bubble. My doctor told me more than likely this one was caused by scar tissue rubbing against the retina and forming a tear. Just for the record I did not know you could have a second in the same eye. I figured after it was fixed; it was fixed. So, if you"ve had a detached retina already, you are not omitted from having this problem again. And diabetes is not the only reason for this retina problem. And it does not occur in just in older people. I am a healthy, 50 plus man who has had problems since I was in my 30s.

Comment from: Al, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been seeing a specialist for 12 years for retinoschisis, (fraying at the edge of the retina). He said it would remain stable and it has for all that time. I have had a floater in my right eye for all that time out of the main field of vision and stable. About a month ago, however, I noticed the floater changing shape and getting bigger. Black dots eventually appeared. Suddenly, five days ago, a streak of blood appeared across the field of vision in the right eye that dispersed into a web-like effect. I went to an eye surgery center the next day and was told after the exam that the vitreous had detached from the retina, ruptured a blood vessel, and tore a small hole in the retina. I had laser surgery that day. Afterwards, I had a minor headache and vague nausea for a day or two. Now it seems fine and my vision is clear. The only problem is that the floater has moved into the center of vision in my right eye, and is stained, I guess from the blood discharge. The doctor said that the stain would clear up. I don't know what will happen with the floater.

Comment from: lolo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Sunday evening I had a bit of a headache. I woke up on Monday morning as if I had a misaligned contact. I also had floaters. As the day progressed, a shade started forming in the inner corner and moving up and outward. Went to the doctor in the morning, and the doctor confirmed I had a retinal detachment and had to have surgery that afternoon. I could not see out of my eye by the afternoon of surgery. The Doctor said my retinal detachment happened unusually fast. I am still recovering.

Comment from: nobles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had been treated with injections of Avastin for macular degeneration into my right eye for three years. Recently I saw what appeared to be a shade going from the top of the same eye down. I thought it was just the macular getting worse and waited until my next monthly apt. for another injection. The retinal specialist told be I had a detached retina and needed immediate surgery. I had the scleral buckle, vitrectomy, laser and gas bubble done. The worst part was the face down 24/7 for a week. I am 1 week post op and so far so good. Lots of watering and itching and very little vision. I had already lost central vision from the macular so they were trying to save the peripheral vision. Only time will tell. Never assume that your symptoms are due to an existing condition. See your doctor immediately with any new symptoms.

Comment from: suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Recently, I noticed a curved flashing floater in my left eye. It went away. The floater was made of triangle shaped objects that flashed different colors.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.