Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had floaters and flashing several times over three years which was thoroughly checked by specialists. There was no tear or detachment. When it happened again shortly before Christmas I couldn't get an optician appointment until January. I was referred to a specialist but had to really stress the urgency before I was seen straightaway. I had surgery that night. The gas bubble didn't help and the retina began to peel. I was disappointed that my clinic appointments were so far apart as it was a very worrying time. When finally I saw the surgeon I had to have surgery again the same day, this time with an injection of oil. I haven't been able to drive and the drops have a strange effect on me. Head position has not been stressed although I have asked for specifics. I only know I have to sleep at at least a 30 degree angle. I am extremely worried that this further procedure will not be successful. My life is on hold.

Comment from: debie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I experienced eye floaters for several months before my retinal detachment. It happened very suddenly, but I can pinpoint the exact day that it occurred.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.