Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: rr, Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Symptoms began with what looked like thread in my eye. Now it has happened in both eyes and looks like cobwebs all over my field of vision. Very bothersome. Not sure if eyes are getting worst or have some kind of disease. Wish with all my heart someone would find a cure considering so many people suffer from this.

Comment from: Ms. C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I think it all started when I was rubbing my eyes at work all the time and then the last 3 or 4 times it felt like something flipped over in my eye so I would blink and it would straighten up. I then noticed while watching TV that I could not see out of the upper corner of my right eye. I went to my eye doctor and he gave me a "field vision test." And sure enough I had a detached retina so he sent me to a surgeon. It has now been almost three years and it still isn't totally healed.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had floaters and flashing several times over three years which was thoroughly checked by specialists. There was no tear or detachment. When it happened again shortly before Christmas I couldn't get an optician appointment until January. I was referred to a specialist but had to really stress the urgency before I was seen straightaway. I had surgery that night. The gas bubble didn't help and the retina began to peel. I was disappointed that my clinic appointments were so far apart as it was a very worrying time. When finally I saw the surgeon I had to have surgery again the same day, this time with an injection of oil. I haven't been able to drive and the drops have a strange effect on me. Head position has not been stressed although I have asked for specifics. I only know I have to sleep at at least a 30 degree angle. I am extremely worried that this further procedure will not be successful. My life is on hold.

Comment from: debie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I experienced eye floaters for several months before my retinal detachment. It happened very suddenly, but I can pinpoint the exact day that it occurred.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.