Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Jaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up seeing floaters in my right eye, but thought it was cotton from cleaning my eye make up the night before. Later in the afternoon, I went to the beach and while I was swimming, I started to see flashing lights out of my right eye. I called my eye doctor and was told to go the next day and to refrain from doing any exercise, or picking up anything from the floor. I was told I was having a retinal detachment. They reattached the retina with laser. It's been one month since the incident and my vision is much better, my floaters are gone, but I still see flashes, especially at night.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My partner has been diagnosed with retinal detachment and has today been to an eye hospital and has to have an operation on Monday. In one way we are pleased because we thought all kinds of things were wrong including brain tumor etc. He has been told it will be a one day job and no overnight stay. Relief cannot explain the stress we have been through and hope after the treatment all will be well.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I believe that Lasik (while not a direct cause) can lead to a detached retina. It's like how knee surgery does not cause arthritis as a disease, but your knee can develop arthritis after having knee surgery. I have had a detached retina in one eye and leaks that they fixed in the other. My scelaral buckle eye sees crystal clear after cataract surgery, but the vision has a portion of the image missing, is warped and cannot read at all. I only hope my other eye does not detach. It has a bad cataract that they do not fix for fear that my retina will detach.

Comment from: Peter W, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My retinal detachment was a result of an accident when my eye was punctured. Following an operation to save my eye, the retina was found to be detached. I had no vision at all from the eye. It was like looking into a black hole.

Comment from: Jackie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

For several weeks, I couldn't see well out of my right eye. I thought it was my hard contacts and waited to see if it would clear up. Then I began to see a gray bar or shading across the top. I saw my optometrist, who immediately said, “detached retina," and sent me upstairs to the retina specialist, who confirmed it. Surgery was scheduled for the following Thursday. The operation lasted about two hours. Three weeks later, the gas bubble he placed in my eye has finally dissolved, but I can't wear my right contact lens for several more weeks. He said it would be three months before we know if the operation was successful.

Comment from: ltracy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Since my retinal detachment, I see a flashing of light traveling across my visual path. Blurred vision and grey cloudiness when covering my good eye.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have wet AMD in my right eye, successfully treated with Avastin. Early in the week I noticed the straight lines were starting to fluctuate and thought the AMD was returning. I saw my eye surgeon on Friday and he operated on the following Tuesday. Both the retina and the macula were detached, but the AMD remained dry. The gas bubble disappeared after 2 weeks, and now, 3 weeks after surgery, I have resumed all normal activities, although I may not take a plane for 3 months.

Comment from: osroe2, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

With my retinal detachement, my left eye has partially lost its vision, and right half of it is reddish brown. There was some dizziness. I was 47 years old at the time and it happened again a year or so later. It has not happened again. I'm 54 now.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.