Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I believe that Lasik (while not a direct cause) can lead to a detached retina. It's like how knee surgery does not cause arthritis as a disease, but your knee can develop arthritis after having knee surgery. I have had a detached retina in one eye and leaks that they fixed in the other. My scelaral buckle eye sees crystal clear after cataract surgery, but the vision has a portion of the image missing, is warped and cannot read at all. I only hope my other eye does not detach. It has a bad cataract that they do not fix for fear that my retina will detach.

Comment from: Peter W, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My retinal detachment was a result of an accident when my eye was punctured. Following an operation to save my eye, the retina was found to be detached. I had no vision at all from the eye. It was like looking into a black hole.

Comment from: Jackie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

For several weeks, I couldn't see well out of my right eye. I thought it was my hard contacts and waited to see if it would clear up. Then I began to see a gray bar or shading across the top. I saw my optometrist, who immediately said, “detached retina," and sent me upstairs to the retina specialist, who confirmed it. Surgery was scheduled for the following Thursday. The operation lasted about two hours. Three weeks later, the gas bubble he placed in my eye has finally dissolved, but I can't wear my right contact lens for several more weeks. He said it would be three months before we know if the operation was successful.

Comment from: ltracy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Since my retinal detachment, I see a flashing of light traveling across my visual path. Blurred vision and grey cloudiness when covering my good eye.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have wet AMD in my right eye, successfully treated with Avastin. Early in the week I noticed the straight lines were starting to fluctuate and thought the AMD was returning. I saw my eye surgeon on Friday and he operated on the following Tuesday. Both the retina and the macula were detached, but the AMD remained dry. The gas bubble disappeared after 2 weeks, and now, 3 weeks after surgery, I have resumed all normal activities, although I may not take a plane for 3 months.

Comment from: osroe2, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

With my retinal detachement, my left eye has partially lost its vision, and right half of it is reddish brown. There was some dizziness. I was 47 years old at the time and it happened again a year or so later. It has not happened again. I'm 54 now.

Comment from: rr, Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Symptoms began with what looked like thread in my eye. Now it has happened in both eyes and looks like cobwebs all over my field of vision. Very bothersome. Not sure if eyes are getting worst or have some kind of disease. Wish with all my heart someone would find a cure considering so many people suffer from this.

Comment from: Ms. C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I think it all started when I was rubbing my eyes at work all the time and then the last 3 or 4 times it felt like something flipped over in my eye so I would blink and it would straighten up. I then noticed while watching TV that I could not see out of the upper corner of my right eye. I went to my eye doctor and he gave me a "field vision test." And sure enough I had a detached retina so he sent me to a surgeon. It has now been almost three years and it still isn't totally healed.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had floaters and flashing several times over three years which was thoroughly checked by specialists. There was no tear or detachment. When it happened again shortly before Christmas I couldn't get an optician appointment until January. I was referred to a specialist but had to really stress the urgency before I was seen straightaway. I had surgery that night. The gas bubble didn't help and the retina began to peel. I was disappointed that my clinic appointments were so far apart as it was a very worrying time. When finally I saw the surgeon I had to have surgery again the same day, this time with an injection of oil. I haven't been able to drive and the drops have a strange effect on me. Head position has not been stressed although I have asked for specifics. I only know I have to sleep at at least a 30 degree angle. I am extremely worried that this further procedure will not be successful. My life is on hold.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.