Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: sarbr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I began to notice a small ball of light that would travel across my eye several times a day. This went on for a few weeks until I began to see a flickering ball of light in the corner if I looked in a certain direction. If I looked down there was a strip of light that looked like a pattern from a kaleidoscope. When I finally booked an appointment at the opticians they diagnosed me with a small retinal detachment and referred me straight to the hospital. Months later I received barrier laser treatment to hold the detachment in place. I still see flashing lights but other than that everything is well.

Comment from: Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had floaters and light flashes, but this was many years ago. I went to get my eyes checked as it was past time, and I had broken my glasses. Afterwards I still could not see anything without a magnifying glass so I called the doctor. I went in and he said I had a "serious degenative retinal detachment” and needed to get to a retinal specialist right away. I did and they started treatment right then and there. I have been going to get shots in my eyeball for a year now and am still not done. Now I go every 8 weeks. The drug that is being used is called Lucentis and it costs two thousand a shot.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I had laser surgery for a retinal tear in my left eye earlier today. A short time ago, my eye was aching, and without thinking, I shut my eyes and rubbed them about as hard as you would rub your eyes when you are sleepy. I thought I felt a twinge and now I am really paranoid that tore open the repaired tear. I am very upset with myself. If you have this procedure, don't rub your eyes!

Comment from: Brensbenz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

As with most people here, I woke up with a problem! It felt like my eyelid was partially closed - there was a veil diagonally over almost half of my vision. Straight to hospital and after very long and thorough examinations, straight to surgery. Post-surgery, almost no pain except when being asked to look "top left", bottom right", etc. Gas bubble and 55 minutes per hour on my left side only. My second eye had been poor since birth and the affected eye was very blurry (like looking at a crazy color movie on a wavy screen) for some weeks. Still, almost pain-free.

Comment from: Rizzo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Woke up on 11/29/11 had a slight black strip in the lower corner of my left eye. By the end of the day my vision was almost totally gone. Everything was almost totally black. Called doctor immediately. Next day they said I had a severe detachment. The following day I had surgery. Had the bubble installed, but was told to go to sleep on my stomach for 3 days or sleep sitting up. I chose to sleep sitting up. About an hour after surgery the pain was terrible. Felt like someone hit me in the eye with a golf club. Vicodin wasn't much help. Your eye will be swollen for about a week after your surgery. The bubble slowly disappeared after about a week. Don't even try opening your eye until about a week after. Its looks terrible. Only had a patch on my eye for the first 2 days. Be very patient. It is a very slow process. Hard to drive. You have no depth perception. Glad I caught it in time. I have heard horror stories about what happens when you wait too long. Good Luck.

Comment from: Jaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up seeing floaters in my right eye, but thought it was cotton from cleaning my eye make up the night before. Later in the afternoon, I went to the beach and while I was swimming, I started to see flashing lights out of my right eye. I called my eye doctor and was told to go the next day and to refrain from doing any exercise, or picking up anything from the floor. I was told I was having a retinal detachment. They reattached the retina with laser. It's been one month since the incident and my vision is much better, my floaters are gone, but I still see flashes, especially at night.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My partner has been diagnosed with retinal detachment and has today been to an eye hospital and has to have an operation on Monday. In one way we are pleased because we thought all kinds of things were wrong including brain tumor etc. He has been told it will be a one day job and no overnight stay. Relief cannot explain the stress we have been through and hope after the treatment all will be well.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.