Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Sight Scare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I saw more floaters than usual the week before and the day the retina detached. I thought I had a hair in my eye and tried to brush it away. When it didn't brush away, I thought it might be an eyelash so pulled down my eyelid. When I opened my eye, I saw purple or psychedelic colors. This happened at 10:00 p.m. and by the next day; I had a gray shade covering part of the eye. By end of day the whole eye was shaded. This happened on Fri day night and I had surgery on the following Tuesday. Four weeks later I saw a shadow at the top of the eye and had another tear, but the retina had not detached. Surgery was performed again with the buckle. It has been 5 weeks since the second surgery and I still have the gas bubble but it should dissipate shortly. I was also fortunate to have an outstanding retina surgeon.

Comment from: suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Recently, I noticed a curved flashing floater in my left eye. It went away. The floater was made of triangle shaped objects that flashed different colors.

Comment from: mf022513, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 49 years old and in good health. I had detached retina surgery done two months ago – laser and a gas bubble were put in. The second surgery was a month ago, when I had silicone oil and a (scleral) buckle put on. Still, part of the retina did not attach. The third surgery last week used the new procedure, Perfluoron (PFO), which was placed behind retina to hold it flat, and it finally attached. This week I will have the PFO removed. I hope this will be it for now. I still don't have my lens – it will be six months until I get it. I need to go back to work. Any words of encouragement that the retina will stay attached would be great. This has been a nightmare.

Comment from: Bajadude, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

First my floaters changed from little cat hairs to black specks of pepper. Within a day or so, a triangle of black flashing appeared at the inside corner of my left eye when I awoke. Then a black curtain started moving toward the center. I knew I had to get help immediately and had the gas surgery that afternoon after my optometrist panicked. The results are good and it's been about a week. We caught it before it reached the macula. I feel like I dodged a bullet again.

Comment from: ashok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

While undergoing laparoscopy in the hospital for gallstone removal, I suddenly found that I could not see out of my left eye. The central vision was totally gone and my peripheral vision greatly affected. When I consulted a retinal surgeon, I was told that I had suffered both retina and macula detachment due to an eye infection (endophthalmitis). After being treated with Voriconazole to remove the infection, I was advised to go for a vitrectomy. How much vision will be restored is uncertain. Reading will not be possible.

Comment from: Jeans in Canada, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had minor flashes of light when I turned my head to the right, only visible when it was dark. A floater followed. About a month later, I thought there was a greasy smudge on my glasses, but after cleaning them, realized it wasn't my glasses – it was my eye. When I looked in the mirror, one side of the frame looked straight, while the other had a bulge in it. This was followed by what looked like small water drops wafting in and out at the edge of my eye. These weren't symptoms I'd ever heard about for retinal detachment, but it certainly was. I'm currently recuperating from surgery.

Comment from: sarbr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I began to notice a small ball of light that would travel across my eye several times a day. This went on for a few weeks until I began to see a flickering ball of light in the corner if I looked in a certain direction. If I looked down there was a strip of light that looked like a pattern from a kaleidoscope. When I finally booked an appointment at the opticians they diagnosed me with a small retinal detachment and referred me straight to the hospital. Months later I received barrier laser treatment to hold the detachment in place. I still see flashing lights but other than that everything is well.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.