Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Yellow85, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

In October of 2010, I was diagnosed with retinal detachment in my left eye. I have also worn glasses since I was 2 years old, and my contact prescription is -11.5. My first symptoms of retinal detachment were floaters in my vision, which I ignored, because I thought it was just something wrong with my contacts. Then I slowly started to lose my visiom. I lost my peripheral vision first, and then it just started closing in like curtains. For my first surgery, they used a buckle and a gas bubble to repair my retinal detachment. When I woke up from that surgery, I was in horrible pain, and I had to stay overnight. Then a month later, my retina detached again. I had a second surgery, and they inserted the gas bubble again. My second surgery was still really painful, but not nearly as bad as my first surgery. A few months after that, I had to get cataract surgery because my previous surgeries caused me to have a cataract. It has now been 10 months since my first surgery, and I have still not gained my vision back all the way. I can only see about two feet in front of my face, and my vision is not flat, everything looks wavy. My doctors want to do another surgery. This would be to remove all the scar tissue I have around my buckle. They believe that this will allow the retina and everything else to go back in place. This has been a very frustrating journey. I have been through three surgeries and still no vision, and I am about ready to do surgery number four. I just want to see again.

Comment from: freespiritkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I woke up one morning and saw a "waterfall" of spots in my right eye. The eye felt a little different, also. It was very annoying! The waterfall of spots never went away. It was very visually distracting. I had had cataract surgery about six years ago. I thought maybe there was scar tissue in that eye. I had that issue about three years after the cataract surgery. I went to my physician and got a referral to the eye doctor. He discovered the detaching retina. I had the eye surgery within a week and am still recovering from it. The surgeon did a great job, and it feels as if I will totally recover from it. My vision gets better every day. I had the gas bubble put in and was so glad when it finally left.

Comment from: Sight Scare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I saw more floaters than usual the week before and the day the retina detached. I thought I had a hair in my eye and tried to brush it away. When it didn't brush away, I thought it might be an eyelash so pulled down my eyelid. When I opened my eye, I saw purple or psychedelic colors. This happened at 10:00 p.m. and by the next day; I had a gray shade covering part of the eye. By end of day the whole eye was shaded. This happened on Fri day night and I had surgery on the following Tuesday. Four weeks later I saw a shadow at the top of the eye and had another tear, but the retina had not detached. Surgery was performed again with the buckle. It has been 5 weeks since the second surgery and I still have the gas bubble but it should dissipate shortly. I was also fortunate to have an outstanding retina surgeon.

Comment from: suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Recently, I noticed a curved flashing floater in my left eye. It went away. The floater was made of triangle shaped objects that flashed different colors.

Comment from: mf022513, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 49 years old and in good health. I had detached retina surgery done two months ago – laser and a gas bubble were put in. The second surgery was a month ago, when I had silicone oil and a (scleral) buckle put on. Still, part of the retina did not attach. The third surgery last week used the new procedure, Perfluoron (PFO), which was placed behind retina to hold it flat, and it finally attached. This week I will have the PFO removed. I hope this will be it for now. I still don't have my lens – it will be six months until I get it. I need to go back to work. Any words of encouragement that the retina will stay attached would be great. This has been a nightmare.

Comment from: Bajadude, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

First my floaters changed from little cat hairs to black specks of pepper. Within a day or so, a triangle of black flashing appeared at the inside corner of my left eye when I awoke. Then a black curtain started moving toward the center. I knew I had to get help immediately and had the gas surgery that afternoon after my optometrist panicked. The results are good and it's been about a week. We caught it before it reached the macula. I feel like I dodged a bullet again.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.