Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: cybermab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Dark shadow at lower outer corner of eye. Initially was only visible went going from a dark room to a lighted one. Seemed to only appear when I was looking in the opposite direction from the shadow. The shadow did not appear to be opaque, but more like the afterimage you get after looking at a light bulb. I was fortunate that it didn't progress to a macular off detachment because it was 2-3 days before I was convinced that I really saw something and consulted my ophthalmologist, in spite of having experienced prior retinal tears. It can be very subtle in presentation, so don't delay getting help if anything appears out of the ordinary, even if you are not sure you really seeing anything.

Comment from: Yellow85, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

In October of 2010, I was diagnosed with retinal detachment in my left eye. I have also worn glasses since I was 2 years old, and my contact prescription is -11.5. My first symptoms of retinal detachment were floaters in my vision, which I ignored, because I thought it was just something wrong with my contacts. Then I slowly started to lose my visiom. I lost my peripheral vision first, and then it just started closing in like curtains. For my first surgery, they used a buckle and a gas bubble to repair my retinal detachment. When I woke up from that surgery, I was in horrible pain, and I had to stay overnight. Then a month later, my retina detached again. I had a second surgery, and they inserted the gas bubble again. My second surgery was still really painful, but not nearly as bad as my first surgery. A few months after that, I had to get cataract surgery because my previous surgeries caused me to have a cataract. It has now been 10 months since my first surgery, and I have still not gained my vision back all the way. I can only see about two feet in front of my face, and my vision is not flat, everything looks wavy. My doctors want to do another surgery. This would be to remove all the scar tissue I have around my buckle. They believe that this will allow the retina and everything else to go back in place. This has been a very frustrating journey. I have been through three surgeries and still no vision, and I am about ready to do surgery number four. I just want to see again.

Comment from: freespiritkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I woke up one morning and saw a "waterfall" of spots in my right eye. The eye felt a little different, also. It was very annoying! The waterfall of spots never went away. It was very visually distracting. I had had cataract surgery about six years ago. I thought maybe there was scar tissue in that eye. I had that issue about three years after the cataract surgery. I went to my physician and got a referral to the eye doctor. He discovered the detaching retina. I had the eye surgery within a week and am still recovering from it. The surgeon did a great job, and it feels as if I will totally recover from it. My vision gets better every day. I had the gas bubble put in and was so glad when it finally left.

Comment from: Sight Scare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I saw more floaters than usual the week before and the day the retina detached. I thought I had a hair in my eye and tried to brush it away. When it didn't brush away, I thought it might be an eyelash so pulled down my eyelid. When I opened my eye, I saw purple or psychedelic colors. This happened at 10:00 p.m. and by the next day; I had a gray shade covering part of the eye. By end of day the whole eye was shaded. This happened on Fri day night and I had surgery on the following Tuesday. Four weeks later I saw a shadow at the top of the eye and had another tear, but the retina had not detached. Surgery was performed again with the buckle. It has been 5 weeks since the second surgery and I still have the gas bubble but it should dissipate shortly. I was also fortunate to have an outstanding retina surgeon.

Comment from: ashok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

While undergoing laparoscopy in the hospital for gallstone removal, I suddenly found that I could not see out of my left eye. The central vision was totally gone and my peripheral vision greatly affected. When I consulted a retinal surgeon, I was told that I had suffered both retina and macula detachment due to an eye infection (endophthalmitis). After being treated with Voriconazole to remove the infection, I was advised to go for a vitrectomy. How much vision will be restored is uncertain. Reading will not be possible.

Comment from: Jeans in Canada, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had minor flashes of light when I turned my head to the right, only visible when it was dark. A floater followed. About a month later, I thought there was a greasy smudge on my glasses, but after cleaning them, realized it wasn't my glasses – it was my eye. When I looked in the mirror, one side of the frame looked straight, while the other had a bulge in it. This was followed by what looked like small water drops wafting in and out at the edge of my eye. These weren't symptoms I'd ever heard about for retinal detachment, but it certainly was. I'm currently recuperating from surgery.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.