Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: Z16chevelleguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had been working long hours on my car. I went into the house for dinner and noticed what looked like a laser light show out of the corner of my right eye. Asking everyone else if they had seen it and they thought I was crazy. When I went to bed that night I was seeing the lights. Again I asked my wife and she told me no she didn't see them. The next day I had off from work and was in my shop. I started noticing floaters. At first I thought they were either a hair or something in my eye. I looked in the mirror several times for a something like an eye lash, facial hair etc. The next day I went to work and happened to be right next door to my eye Doctor. I stopped in and explained the problem. They had me in a chair in no time and discovered what they felt was a torn retina. I was sent immediately to a Retina specialist. Within 2 hours I was having eye surgery for a torn retina. The retina Doctor told me if it hadn't been taken care of I would have ended up with a detached retina.

Comment from: Ellenie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

One day I suddenly noticed huge, worm-like floaters as well as an increase in the number and size of black floaters I had experienced for years. In addition, a curtain of tiny black holes covered the entire field of vision in that eye. After the vitrectomy and retinoplasty with gas injected in the eyeball I experienced some pain, much discharge, and a blurry, jiggly image in that eye, with greatly decreased vision. I don't know how long it will last; it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and I have a long way to go.

Comment from: irish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Day after I came home from a cruise, my right eye started getting blurry. By the third day I was half blind from the bottom of the eye. My eye doctor immediately sent me to a specialist who did surgery within 2 days. By that time I was totally blind in the right eye. The surgery was a success in that I have vision again. Later they removed a large cataract. I have vision distortion because my macula was damaged but it is something I will adjust to in time.

Comment from: cybermab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Dark shadow at lower outer corner of eye. Initially was only visible went going from a dark room to a lighted one. Seemed to only appear when I was looking in the opposite direction from the shadow. The shadow did not appear to be opaque, but more like the afterimage you get after looking at a light bulb. I was fortunate that it didn't progress to a macular off detachment because it was 2-3 days before I was convinced that I really saw something and consulted my ophthalmologist, in spite of having experienced prior retinal tears. It can be very subtle in presentation, so don't delay getting help if anything appears out of the ordinary, even if you are not sure you really seeing anything.

Comment from: Yellow85, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

In October of 2010, I was diagnosed with retinal detachment in my left eye. I have also worn glasses since I was 2 years old, and my contact prescription is -11.5. My first symptoms of retinal detachment were floaters in my vision, which I ignored, because I thought it was just something wrong with my contacts. Then I slowly started to lose my visiom. I lost my peripheral vision first, and then it just started closing in like curtains. For my first surgery, they used a buckle and a gas bubble to repair my retinal detachment. When I woke up from that surgery, I was in horrible pain, and I had to stay overnight. Then a month later, my retina detached again. I had a second surgery, and they inserted the gas bubble again. My second surgery was still really painful, but not nearly as bad as my first surgery. A few months after that, I had to get cataract surgery because my previous surgeries caused me to have a cataract. It has now been 10 months since my first surgery, and I have still not gained my vision back all the way. I can only see about two feet in front of my face, and my vision is not flat, everything looks wavy. My doctors want to do another surgery. This would be to remove all the scar tissue I have around my buckle. They believe that this will allow the retina and everything else to go back in place. This has been a very frustrating journey. I have been through three surgeries and still no vision, and I am about ready to do surgery number four. I just want to see again.

Comment from: freespiritkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I woke up one morning and saw a "waterfall" of spots in my right eye. The eye felt a little different, also. It was very annoying! The waterfall of spots never went away. It was very visually distracting. I had had cataract surgery about six years ago. I thought maybe there was scar tissue in that eye. I had that issue about three years after the cataract surgery. I went to my physician and got a referral to the eye doctor. He discovered the detaching retina. I had the eye surgery within a week and am still recovering from it. The surgeon did a great job, and it feels as if I will totally recover from it. My vision gets better every day. I had the gas bubble put in and was so glad when it finally left.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.