Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?

Comment from: mf022513, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 49 years old and in good health. I had detached retina surgery done two months ago – laser and a gas bubble were put in. The second surgery was a month ago, when I had silicone oil and a (scleral) buckle put on. Still, part of the retina did not attach. The third surgery last week used the new procedure, Perfluoron (PFO), which was placed behind retina to hold it flat, and it finally attached. This week I will have the PFO removed. I hope this will be it for now. I still don't have my lens – it will be six months until I get it. I need to go back to work. Any words of encouragement that the retina will stay attached would be great. This has been a nightmare.

Comment from: Bajadude, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

First my floaters changed from little cat hairs to black specks of pepper. Within a day or so, a triangle of black flashing appeared at the inside corner of my left eye when I awoke. Then a black curtain started moving toward the center. I knew I had to get help immediately and had the gas surgery that afternoon after my optometrist panicked. The results are good and it's been about a week. We caught it before it reached the macula. I feel like I dodged a bullet again.

Comment from: AyeshaZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Oct. 2011 travelled to my father-in-law's hometown on a Thursday to make funeral arrangements. The next day I had excruciating back pain and leg pain. On Saturday I thought I was experiencing sciatica and ended up being transported to the hospital via ambulance. After a sonogram and a CT scan I was diagnosed with DVT. I am 35 years old, female, and have myopia. I started noticing floaters several months before I started seeing flashes of light which I totally ignored (BIG MISTAKE)! On a Friday I noticed a shadowing curtain top. I left part of my left eye, Sunday I went to see the Ophthalmologist, who referred me immediately to retina specialist who booked me for a surgery on Tuesday. Thank God, the surgery was successful, a buckle was placed 360 degree flat to hold the retina back, he also performed Cryo Therapy on my right eye to close some holes. It has been exactly 41 days, I still have some stitches in my left eye, vision is blurry still (I can't focus), and however, I have a follow up appointment next week to remove remainder of stitches (yikes) and to perform 'eye refracture' to optimize the vision. I was told by my doctor that I need to be careful and pay immediate attention to any strange symptoms in both eyes and not take things for granted, and should seek the specialist's support in any situation, as (God forbid) the detachment might happen again. I am grateful for the blessing of my eye sight and would never ever take any part of my body for granted again (neither should you)!

Comment from: Z16chevelleguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had been working long hours on my car. I went into the house for dinner and noticed what looked like a laser light show out of the corner of my right eye. Asking everyone else if they had seen it and they thought I was crazy. When I went to bed that night I was seeing the lights. Again I asked my wife and she told me no she didn't see them. The next day I had off from work and was in my shop. I started noticing floaters. At first I thought they were either a hair or something in my eye. I looked in the mirror several times for a something like an eye lash, facial hair etc. The next day I went to work and happened to be right next door to my eye Doctor. I stopped in and explained the problem. They had me in a chair in no time and discovered what they felt was a torn retina. I was sent immediately to a Retina specialist. Within 2 hours I was having eye surgery for a torn retina. The retina Doctor told me if it hadn't been taken care of I would have ended up with a detached retina.

Comment from: Ellenie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

One day I suddenly noticed huge, worm-like floaters as well as an increase in the number and size of black floaters I had experienced for years. In addition, a curtain of tiny black holes covered the entire field of vision in that eye. After the vitrectomy and retinoplasty with gas injected in the eyeball I experienced some pain, much discharge, and a blurry, jiggly image in that eye, with greatly decreased vision. I don't know how long it will last; it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and I have a long way to go.

Comment from: irish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Day after I came home from a cruise, my right eye started getting blurry. By the third day I was half blind from the bottom of the eye. My eye doctor immediately sent me to a specialist who did surgery within 2 days. By that time I was totally blind in the right eye. The surgery was a success in that I have vision again. Later they removed a large cataract. I have vision distortion because my macula was damaged but it is something I will adjust to in time.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.