Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Surgery

Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.

Comment from: Emmie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was born very premature and lost the vision in my left eye early in life. I was very nearsighted in my "good" right eye. In 2013 I had successful cataract surgery in both eyes. While on holidays with my family my right retina detached. I was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed with a retinal detachment and stabilized for the trip home. I had a vitrectomy and had to lay face down or on my right side for two weeks, then another two weeks. I struggled with constant nausea due to the vision distortion the bubble created. I had more laser surgery to fix some lifting in a spot. The gas bubble took 11 weeks to totally dissipate. My central vision has healed well. The vision to the edges of my eye are gray into black. I cannot drive six months out. This has been an emotional journey. I use a cane for mobility as depth perception is lacking. Walking at night is difficult too. I am very lucky that I was operated on quickly.

Comment from: jkelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had surgery for retinal detachment, gas bubble was done. I'm not sure if I would do this again, I should have done more research. I"m four weeks into recovery and cannot see in that eye yet, hoping for the best. Before I only had dot in my vision, now I can"t see much at all. I'm still using drops and keeping my head down for another 3 weeks during the night, keeping your head down is quite hard, then I go back to the doctor's. Hoping for the best!

Comment from: Pnt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

At first, I had floaters, followed by flashes of light within about four weeks. I didn't think much of it since work was extremely busy and my son was going through surgery at the time. Finally, I went to the ophthalmologist, who found a horseshoe tear and lasered it. A few weeks later – another tear, another laser. Finally, I was referred to a retina specialist, after having two episodes of vitreous hemorrhage, then the detachment. I went into surgery the next day. I had really high eye pressure post-op for about four weeks. A few weeks after surgery, I developed a cataract. A few months later, after cataract surgery, I developed double vision. A few months after the cataract surgery, I had a YAG procedure. It has been almost eight months, and my vision is about only half of what it was before. I don't know if the macula was affected or not when the retina detached. The doctor said my vision might not get any better than that, but he also said the retina is thinning in my other eye. My only risk factor for the detachment was nearsightedness. But my other eye may follow the same fate. My only advice is to see a specialist right away, no matter how small your symptoms appear to be.

Comment from: jano, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had the surgery and gas bubble for one week, went right back to work, and 30 days to the date, it detached again. I had the surgery again with a two-week bubble and silicone band and so far it has held. I had a huge cataract removed and still can't see. Now that the cataract is gone, the surgery caused scar tissue on the retina to bubble like a roller coaster so I will need surgery again. I felt the doctor should have done the band the first time since I am 50 and active. The first surgery may have worked if I was like all of the other patients, 70 years old and retired, but working 50-70 hours a week and depending on a paycheck is no way to heal.

Comment from: bajajdude, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

Wow – freezing and gas bubbles? Who thought this thing up? Gas surgery was very effective and quick, plus we got it 2.5 mm away from getting the macula. The needles were painful but tolerable. My doctor was very skilled. The bubble was weird, but is shrinking after a week and I didn't need to hold my head in such a weird position, thankfully. It is much preferred to the buckle thing, which my doctor said was a backup if we needed. Just be quick, decisive, and brave. Do not dawdle, dally or delay. It's your sight – so act fast!

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.