Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Surgery

Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.

Comment from: C E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My retinal detachment surgery was performed on Oct 13th, 2014, on my right eye about six weeks ago. My dad was dying and one day after nearly an emotional breakdown, I all of sudden got blurred vision. I regretfully chose not to address it right away and be there for my father. The very day we buried him, I checked into the hospital and the surgery was the next day. I am blessed that my left eye has 20/50, not perfect by far, but now that this has happened, I am grateful that I have a marginally good eye that I can use for my daily livelihood. It appears my progression is in sync with my doctor's expectations. I, on the other hand am very concerned about the bubble and why it doesn't want to go away. I have clear vision above the bubble for objects only a few inches away and very cloudy otherwise. There are occasional red flashing lights and the floaters are very persistent and almost constant. The bubble just broke into three bubbles today, but it doesn't seem to affect anything else. My vision is 20/400 in that eye, but I expect continuous improvement. The absolute worst part for me has been the horrific headaches though not severe eye pain. I have another follow up in a few days and I will then learn a bit more about my progression, but right now I'm not very open to a 2nd surgery so I hope that is not a suggestion because I don't see it as an option. I am grateful that I am no longer in darkness and willing to move forward with that. If at all feasible, don't wait!

Comment from: Melanie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

In January 1983 I had detached retinas in both my eyes. The surgery was done to correct both my eyes. Thank goodness I did not go blind. At the time my surgery was done artificial parts were put in my eyes to hold the retinas in place. Recently my left eye has developed red marks on the side not in the front. My doctor seems to think that the artificial parts are rubbing tissue. In my right eye it has not reddened yet but she thinks it is happening there too.

Comment from: ayman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My mother had retinal detachment (RD) 3 years ago and underwent vitrectomy and insertion of silicone oil. After 1 year she removed the silicone oil and inserted air bubble but after 2 weeks the RD returned again so the doctor decided to insert the silicone again but since this time the eye is red and eye lid is inflamed with bad appearance of I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Emmie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was born very premature and lost the vision in my left eye early in life. I was very nearsighted in my "good" right eye. In 2013 I had successful cataract surgery in both eyes. While on holidays with my family my right retina detached. I was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed with a retinal detachment and stabilized for the trip home. I had a vitrectomy and had to lay face down or on my right side for two weeks, then another two weeks. I struggled with constant nausea due to the vision distortion the bubble created. I had more laser surgery to fix some lifting in a spot. The gas bubble took 11 weeks to totally dissipate. My central vision has healed well. The vision to the edges of my eye are gray into black. I cannot drive six months out. This has been an emotional journey. I use a cane for mobility as depth perception is lacking. Walking at night is difficult too. I am very lucky that I was operated on quickly.

Comment from: jkelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had surgery for retinal detachment, gas bubble was done. I'm not sure if I would do this again, I should have done more research. I"m four weeks into recovery and cannot see in that eye yet, hoping for the best. Before I only had dot in my vision, now I can"t see much at all. I'm still using drops and keeping my head down for another 3 weeks during the night, keeping your head down is quite hard, then I go back to the doctor's. Hoping for the best!

Comment from: Pnt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

At first, I had floaters, followed by flashes of light within about four weeks. I didn't think much of it since work was extremely busy and my son was going through surgery at the time. Finally, I went to the ophthalmologist, who found a horseshoe tear and lasered it. A few weeks later – another tear, another laser. Finally, I was referred to a retina specialist, after having two episodes of vitreous hemorrhage, then the detachment. I went into surgery the next day. I had really high eye pressure post-op for about four weeks. A few weeks after surgery, I developed a cataract. A few months later, after cataract surgery, I developed double vision. A few months after the cataract surgery, I had a YAG procedure. It has been almost eight months, and my vision is about only half of what it was before. I don't know if the macula was affected or not when the retina detached. The doctor said my vision might not get any better than that, but he also said the retina is thinning in my other eye. My only risk factor for the detachment was nearsightedness. But my other eye may follow the same fate. My only advice is to see a specialist right away, no matter how small your symptoms appear to be.

Retinal Detachment - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.
Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.