Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: andy2is, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had first a torn retina which was fixed then it detached due to scar tissue growing under the retina. I had a buckle placed with a 2 week gas bubble. After one week the bubble was dissolving and my retina re-detached but only in one place. A 6 week gas bubble and laser work were done and after 2 weeks again, it re-detached. I'm now going to have the silicon/oil and more laser this week. This is my 3rd surgery; it is getting frustrating big time. Hopefully this procedure finally fixes my retina. I am worried about my vision from so much surgery and afterwards from new silicon/oil.

Comment from: Prix xx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I saw a dark curtain in my side vision on February 17. On February 20 I went to the doctor and was told retina was detaching. They did surgery the same day with buckle and oil. I am on my 3rd week checkup. The doctor said retina had re-detached so I had surgery next day, and this time he had peel scar tissue. Shaved a little of the retina to keep it flat, and used oil. Three weeks later I feel ok but eyes are still swollen and red. Plus once light hits my eye it leaves a glare that makes it tough to see through. I guess that's due to the oil, which will stay in for 9 more weeks or so.

Comment from: gxceb0t, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a large floater appear suddenly in my eye in October 2016. I didn't do anything about it, then in early November I started seeing black in my peripheral vision. I went to a retina specialist and had surgery that same day. I had a giant retinal tear. I had gas bubble which lasted 3 full months. By the time it went away a cataract was well formed and my vision was bad. I had a Symfony IOL (intraocular lens) implanted yesterday, mid-March 2017. I think I will have to have it touched up with Lasik but it already is a big improvement; and the vivid colors, wow! One bad thing is that so far there is a jagged 'smile' through my vision of black dots, not floaters, and I feel this may be the area of the tear I am seeing. I'm doubtful that it will ever go away, but we will see. All in all I am lucky to be seeing as well as I already am.

Comment from: CJQueso, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have sickle cell and when I was in 10th grade, 15 years old, I noticed floaters in my right eye and told my mom right away. We went to an optometrist and was diagnosed with retinal detachment and over a course of many laser eye surgeries, we finally decided for a retinal reattachment. First few weeks after the surgery were pretty brutal. I went to school with an eye patch on, and I was in the midst of trying to start driving (that obviously got held off). My vision to this day has not improved greatly. With my right eye, I can see shape and color, but I cannot distinguish anything. If you were to hold up some fingers in front of my face 70 percent of the time I will say the correct number, but sometimes a person's fingers might be in an area that I'm unable to see (small curtain near my nose). I'm living life now like a normal person, not many people know about some struggles I face, but it does prove a problem sometimes.

Comment from: Mohamed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My left retina detached subsequent to a brutal frontal blunt assault two months earlier. A high density gas was used to reattach the torn retina. The gas bubble contracted over a 5 week period. It is 4 months since my operation and my vision is still very poor and distorted with kinks and reduced image size. Due to the assault and initial surgery to augment the eye socket I have double vision. I have been advised that it takes up to a year for the retina to heal and stabilize and when it does and the vision is not restored it has very little chance of recovering. An orthoptist has to be consulted to assist in resolving the double vision. Retinal surgery is not to be taken lightly as it can recur, or as in my case it has rendered me incapable of going back to work. It negatively impacts on the quality of your life like walking outdoors requires a walking stick or being legally unfit to drive a vehicle.

Comment from: indian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had surgery 4 years back for retinal detachment due to not seeing geometrical shapes in their actual shapes; e.g., straight lines looked curvy. After surgery also I haven't experienced much recovery in seeing geometrical shapes.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.