Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Beetle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

My right retina detached on the way to work. When I got to my desk I commented to my co-worker that something was wrong with my eye and she recommended that I call my eye doctor which I did. After examination, I was transferred to the hospital where I was further examined and given surgery. I had the vitrectomy, laser and the fluoropropane (long lasting) gas bubble. The tear/detachment was at the top of my eye, so my head position was head up. It is now 4 weeks post-surgery and there is probably 30 percent of the bubble left. I have had problems with eye pressure and the doctor is aggressively treating it with two glaucoma drops and a steroid (not prednisolone). In my vision field not covered by the bubble, I can see my hand in good detail. Distance vision is blurry and slightly faded like looking through lightly frosted glass. I checked my drops and found they all can cause blurred vision and sensitivity to light which I have also had. The doctor thinks my eye is healing perfectly, so given the side-effects of the drops and gas bubble, I'm optimistic for my recovery. I seem to have lost a little peripheral vision at the very bottom of my vision field, but that is not a problem so far.

Comment from: Greatcgrandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had retina surgery 3 days ago, my right eye retina was completely detached. It had been for at least 2 months before surgery and my doctor suspects it had been progressing for months before. My surgery was done with a nerve block, I was wide awake during the almost 3 hour surgery. I got the oil but no buckle. The next day on my post operation visit, when the bandage was removed my eye wasn't red and I had very little puffiness. I had better vision than before the surgery! I was given antibiotic eye drops and used OTC Tylenol for pain. Day 3 brought redness and swelling but no pain. My doctor has asked me to come back in 3 weeks and will remove the oil in 6 months. It was much easier than I expected. I think I will recover my vision completely.

Comment from: andy2is, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had first a torn retina which was fixed then it detached due to scar tissue growing under the retina. I had a buckle placed with a 2 week gas bubble. After one week the bubble was dissolving and my retina re-detached but only in one place. A 6 week gas bubble and laser work were done and after 2 weeks again, it re-detached. I'm now going to have the silicon/oil and more laser this week. This is my 3rd surgery; it is getting frustrating big time. Hopefully this procedure finally fixes my retina. I am worried about my vision from so much surgery and afterwards from new silicon/oil.

Comment from: Prix xx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I saw a dark curtain in my side vision on February 17. On February 20 I went to the doctor and was told retina was detaching. They did surgery the same day with buckle and oil. I am on my 3rd week checkup. The doctor said retina had re-detached so I had surgery next day, and this time he had peel scar tissue. Shaved a little of the retina to keep it flat, and used oil. Three weeks later I feel ok but eyes are still swollen and red. Plus once light hits my eye it leaves a glare that makes it tough to see through. I guess that's due to the oil, which will stay in for 9 more weeks or so.

Comment from: gxceb0t, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a large floater appear suddenly in my eye in October 2016. I didn't do anything about it, then in early November I started seeing black in my peripheral vision. I went to a retina specialist and had surgery that same day. I had a giant retinal tear. I had gas bubble which lasted 3 full months. By the time it went away a cataract was well formed and my vision was bad. I had a Symfony IOL (intraocular lens) implanted yesterday, mid-March 2017. I think I will have to have it touched up with Lasik but it already is a big improvement; and the vivid colors, wow! One bad thing is that so far there is a jagged 'smile' through my vision of black dots, not floaters, and I feel this may be the area of the tear I am seeing. I'm doubtful that it will ever go away, but we will see. All in all I am lucky to be seeing as well as I already am.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.