Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

At 38 I had 3 retinal detachments. I have had the buckle and 3 gas bubbles. My doctor removed my lens and capsule. The vision in my left eye is very blurry. I go tomorrow for a contact lens. If my eye does not tolerate the contact lens I will have to get a permanent lens implant sewn into my eye.

Comment from: Jamila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had retinal detachment. After first operation, I was able to see well, put liquid not gas and laser. Then after a month, it detached again, severe tear and the second operation did not help. Severe cataract developed and a third operation was done.

Comment from: pattyfran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had retinal reattachment surgery on Tuesday. I had the buckle and gas bubble treatment. I can barely crack it open to put drops in.

Comment from: Shadow, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had retinal surgery for detachment on January 14. At that time a gas bubble was put in during surgery, I was told that sleeping on my right side was vital. I did so for two weeks. After the next checkup I was told to switch to sleeping on my stomach. It is now about forty two days since surgery and the bubble has started to move down from the top of the eye leaving me with clear vision and no floaters. I was told by the surgeon that average healing time will be two months.

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I just had the surgery to remove the oil from my 3rd retinal detachment. I now have this issue that I have bright lights in the field of vision in both eyes preventing me from being able to read the eye chart effectively.

Comment from: EKG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been fairly near-sighted since childhood. I got a floater a couple of months ago, which I ignored because I've had many. I also then got a flashing in my right eye. I was due into the eye doctor and was going to mention this, having no idea this was an important sign of a possible tear. More education would be really great, and I plan to mention this to everyone I know. About three weeks ago, I started seeing a half moon at the lower part of the eye, and within about three to four days, my vision was half blocked by this moon. So I went to the ER, and then a retinal specialist, followed by surgery the next day for what the specialist called a "complicated" retinal detachment. I had everything done: fluid removed, gas bubble and the band. I've been feeling terrible that I didn't catch this when it was likely just a tear. It is healing well, and we are ahead of schedule. My vision is pretty off right now and the lid is still a little droopy, but each week it improves. I was praised for following the head positioning instructions, and even though it is a hassle, I strongly urge everyone with the bubble to follow these instructions most religiously. I even found a way to sleep with my head down. I also just rested a lot, no reading and all physical movements slow and careful. I think my behavior during the first week was critical in the fact that things (for the moment anyway) are healing fairly well. Don't try to be a hero ... this is your vision. I also think going directly to a retinal specialist is well worth the money.

Comment from: MT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

On a Sunday, I began to notice an area near the nose-side of my left eye. The area was gray, but I could see through it. By Monday, the area had grown to cover the center of my eye. On Monday, I saw my optometrist who referred me to a retinal specialist. The next day, I visited the specialist who immediately diagnosed me with a retinal tear and performed a procedure involving freezing and the use of a gas bubble to put pressure on the repair. This was done in the doctor's office. There was some pain and pressure, but it was not unbearable. I saw the doctor for two follow-ups within the first week. My eye patch was removed on the first visit, and I could see that the "curtain" area was now OK, but my overall vision was poor. After a month, I am much improved, but I do have some problem with floaters. I also have noticed a curvature when looking at straight objects that causes some problems with reading; the doctor described this as a retinal pucker. I return to the specialist's office in about 11 weeks to see what further action might be appropriate.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.