Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: GF, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I'm 35 and initially had PVD (peripheral vascular disease). I was seeing a lot of eye floaters and light flashes. I went to the doctor's office and he did a retinal laser to prevent the retina from tearing. Then after about a week, a large moon shape shadow appeared in the bottom of my viewing area. At first I thought it just could be a sight effect of the laser. Luckily I went to see the doctor and was told that I had a tear and detached retina. He scheduled for a surgery for me on the next day. Since I had cataract, the cataract surgery was done together with a vitrectomy, laser and he put a gas bubble. It has been 2 days since the surgery and my vision is very blurred because of the bubble. I was told to sleep in a sitting position to keep the bubble at the top. So far the dark shadow is gone but seeing that a lot of people have repeated detachment, I'm really concerned. I hope it'll be okay.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I first noticed something was wrong after a flight. With all the lights off, I saw a dim light from the corner of my eye. Later on, I noticed a flash when I would go from outdoors to indoors. That's when I went to an ophthalmologist. He said I needed laser surgery right away for a retinal tear. He put in a gas bubble and did laser surgery 3 times in one week. I had to lie on my left side for one week. My vision is now 20/20 with my glasses on after one week! I still have that annoying gas bubble, but he says it will go away. Don't delay going to the doctor. He will save your sight.

Comment from: Keith, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 41 year old male and the not so lucky one. I have had 6 retinal detachments during the past 7 months. My lens was flushed out on number 5. I also had a retinal hole laser surgery in my other eye. I had PPV (pars plana vitrectomy), gas and emotional stress. I hope this one lasts.

Comment from: 4timesuccess, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had three detached retinas and this will be my fourth next Monday. I have to say that I have had the best doctor. All of my detached surgeries have been very successful. I am one of the lucky ones I am told, but I believe it is important to have the right doctor for this kind of surgery. I have had the buckle on the first and the gas on the last two. I will be having the gas on this one that I am facing. Again to all of you who are facing this, just know that if treated with the right procedure it will all be ok. It is very important to do as your doctor says after surgery. Lie the way he wants you to for as long as he wants you to do so. I lay on my face for the last one for several days and all turned out well. I am told that this time I will be lying on my back with head elevated for this next one. Again I cannot express enough how important it is to have an excellent qualified doctor and most import to do as he says.

Comment from: Pattyj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

At age 30, I had a severe trauma to my left eye and my retina could not be reattached. I had surgery but was told that I would never be able to see out of that eye again. I think they put oil in my eye to keep it from collapsing. That was 13 years ago, now I'm noticing that eye is moving on its own, so I will be making an eye appointment as soon as possible.

Comment from: waynerp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was recently hit directly in the eye with a small ball that my 2 year old son threw at me from 2 feet away. About 2 weeks later I started to develop half circles on each side of my eye as I looked or turned right or left. Not that it bothered my vision but I was worried something was wrong so I went for an eye exam and after 2 hours of an excruciating eye exam the optometrist told me my eyes were perfect and no retina damage at all. Two days later, I was getting flashes in my eye and floaters in my vision, I wonder if I have a torn retina but how after an extensive exam it can be missed.

Comment from: TJB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

It is now eight months after detached retina surgery. My vision out of the affected eye is about 20/90 and about 40 to 50 percent smaller than what the other eye sees, thus very blurry.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.