Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Mohamed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My left retina detached subsequent to a brutal frontal blunt assault two months earlier. A high density gas was used to reattach the torn retina. The gas bubble contracted over a 5 week period. It is 4 months since my operation and my vision is still very poor and distorted with kinks and reduced image size. Due to the assault and initial surgery to augment the eye socket I have double vision. I have been advised that it takes up to a year for the retina to heal and stabilize and when it does and the vision is not restored it has very little chance of recovering. An orthoptist has to be consulted to assist in resolving the double vision. Retinal surgery is not to be taken lightly as it can recur, or as in my case it has rendered me incapable of going back to work. It negatively impacts on the quality of your life like walking outdoors requires a walking stick or being legally unfit to drive a vehicle.

Comment from: Gina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had Lasik surgery in October 1999 and suffered a detached retina in the weaker eye in November 2000. I had very slow recovery. I had to keep my head down for 10 days. Six weeks post operation I felt no better. Gas bubble in my eye showed no signs of going away. I finally showed some improvement in late December. My eye has scars, and vision has greatly deteriorated since then. The other eye is fine.

Comment from: GF, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I'm 35 and initially had PVD (peripheral vascular disease). I was seeing a lot of eye floaters and light flashes. I went to the doctor's office and he did a retinal laser to prevent the retina from tearing. Then after about a week, a large moon shape shadow appeared in the bottom of my viewing area. At first I thought it just could be a sight effect of the laser. Luckily I went to see the doctor and was told that I had a tear and detached retina. He scheduled for a surgery for me on the next day. Since I had cataract, the cataract surgery was done together with a vitrectomy, laser and he put a gas bubble. It has been 2 days since the surgery and my vision is very blurred because of the bubble. I was told to sleep in a sitting position to keep the bubble at the top. So far the dark shadow is gone but seeing that a lot of people have repeated detachment, I'm really concerned. I hope it'll be okay.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I first noticed something was wrong after a flight. With all the lights off, I saw a dim light from the corner of my eye. Later on, I noticed a flash when I would go from outdoors to indoors. That's when I went to an ophthalmologist. He said I needed laser surgery right away for a retinal tear. He put in a gas bubble and did laser surgery 3 times in one week. I had to lie on my left side for one week. My vision is now 20/20 with my glasses on after one week! I still have that annoying gas bubble, but he says it will go away. Don't delay going to the doctor. He will save your sight.

Comment from: Keith, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 41 year old male and the not so lucky one. I have had 6 retinal detachments during the past 7 months. My lens was flushed out on number 5. I also had a retinal hole laser surgery in my other eye. I had PPV (pars plana vitrectomy), gas and emotional stress. I hope this one lasts.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

I had my retinal detachment operation on my left eye 30 years ago, it was fine and I recovered well. However, recently, I found that my left eye cannot focus well and slides to the side when I look straight. I went to see an eye doctor and he said that my fourth nerve system on my right eye is weakening and I should have an operation on my right eye to correct my left eye's problem. I am not sure if I should take a second advice or just take the operation.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.