Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Mish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 48-year-old female. I was involved in a car accident where I was stationery in my vehicle and hit behind by a car doing 60 kms and not even breaking. I was thrown forward and the seat belt pulled me back. After the accident, I was seeing black spots. Thinking this was to do with blood pressure, I was not concerned. Two weeks later, I noticed a shadow over my left eye. I went to the optometrist to have my eyes checked. After a thorough examination, I was told I had retinal detachment. I went straight to Sydney Eye Hospital and had surgery and a gas bubble inserted. I have had no pain before or after the surgery. It has now been 10 days since the surgery, and the retina at the moment is flat, but they cannot give me any guarantees, as it was a large tear. The hardest part was lying on my stomach with my head down to keep the gas bubble in position.

Comment from: bobby d , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

In dark conditions, I see flashes of light in the outer corner of my left eye. They don't occur in daylight conditions. They are momentary. I may experience them from zero to a dozen times an evening. I first noted them several weeks ago. The experience is random and I don't see a progression in number of times or severity or visibility of the flashes. The first few times they occurred while I was driving. I thought I was seeing a vehicles tail lights off to my left. However, they also appeared in my bedroom and where there was no light source available.

Comment from: Kenneth, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

After the first operation for detached retinas, I was informed it was not successful, so a second one was performed. I cannot read or see the figures on TV, but I can make out objects and identify most of them. I have difficulty reading with my "good eye" and have been told glasses will not improve the eye. The retina can be attached but be prepared to lose your sight in the eye. The eye is blurred and painful at times. I advise one to seek three opinions before an operation.

Published: July 15

I had retina detachment about 30 years back when I was a kid. It was a case of detachment by injury. (A cricket ball hit me straight in my eye!) I was operated on and had to stay in the hospital for two weeks. Although my vision is perfect now, I tend to see floaters in the eye.

Published: June 11

Just last week, I noticed a small bubble filled with water in my left eye. This is how I described it to my ophthalmologist who did cataract surgery just four months ago on the same eye. It was like looking thru a tear in your eye. The "bubble" would go away during the day to be replaced with a grey, brown, or black shadow later on during the day. It progressed very fast over four days and was three times the size. I was immediately referred to a retinal specialist and had surgery within eight hours.

Published: June 09

The first symptom was that I thought my glasses were dirty because I sensed a 'haze' in my vision. Then I noticed an increase in floaters and black specks in the peripheral area, especially on the right side. I noted whether the symptoms seemed to change over the following few days. I also saw flashes of light when in a dark room, especially when I blinked or turned my eyes. Once I realized it was my right eye only, I knew it was serious. The symptoms were entirely new to anything I had experienced before and developed in only a few days.

Comment from: coinlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had LASIK in October. One year later, I had a retinal detachment in the weaker eye. I had the scleral buckle and had to keep my head positioned for 10 days. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. In mid December I was not getting better, I could not even get up and go to the bathroom by myself. I finally did get better around mid January. My eye had some kind of reaction to the buckle and I have marks in my eye to this day. I firmly believe the LASIK had a lot to do with it.

Published: July 28

My retinal detachment occurred as a result of myopia and the tension that my elongated eye put on the retina. The detachment began with discrete flashes of light over several days followed by the apparent rupture of a blood vessel sending a "puff" of blood into the vitreous. The bleeding appeared as a veil floating in front of my eye. The subsequent dispersion of the blood cells in the vitreous looked like a window screen was placed in front of my eye. After several surgeries my retina is attached, though it is not in its original position, causing double vision and the vision field has been reduced. But, it is still vision and you realize how special even a little is.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.