Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Ed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been near-sighted since adolescence and am now 54. My retinal detachment was apparently caused by my recently rubbing my left eye too hard after removing my contact lens. I soon noticed about eight floaters and a dark gray curtain which blocked my vision on the lower third of my left eye. After a checkup at the hospital ER I was sent to an ophthalmologist. Cryo-surgery was performed in his office and a bubble inserted into my eye. My vision was restored to normal except for the bubble. My ophthalmologist told me to hold my head at an angle with my chin to my right. I tried to remember to do this when watching TV. I was told I could continue to wear contact lenses and returned to work in 3 days. My detachment reoccurred 2 weeks later.

Comment from: bhpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 5 weeks out from my scleral buckle surgery for retinal detachment and I still have severe limited vision. I have been told that existing cataracts could be the problem with recovery of vision along with a change in the physical shape of my eye due to the buckle.

Comment from: lostsite, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Retinal detachment recovery is a nightmare, period! Be prepared to stop driving to work, and make sure you have a supplemental disability insurance policy, because you will not be able to work for months as a result of vision loss during the period of recovery 6-16 months.

Comment from: steward, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I've had two retinal tears and one detachment this year. The first tear was preceded by flashing crescents in my peripheral vision. When it finally tore, a cloud swirled through my vision and I was in the ophthalmologist's chair within hours having the tear stitched with a laser. Six months later, I noticed a small blind spot creeping into my vision and headed to the ophthalmologist who diagnosed retinal detachment. The next day, as I headed to vitrectomy surgery, the blind spot covered half my vision. It's now 10 days after surgery and I still have a small gas bubble, but I'm seeing another shadow growing into my vision. I'm getting it checked tomorrow and dreading the diagnosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

Prompt treatment is important in the successful treatment of detachments. I diagnosed my own 21 years ago, but the doctor ignored me. He would have seen it had he dilated my eyes. Nine months later, I had a horseshoe tear repaired. I had excellent doctors, so my prognosis was good. However, I did lose vision. I had another horseshoe tear treated promptly 10 years ago. The vision in that eye is good. If your doctor is not helping you, find a specialist.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I will be having retina reattachment in two days. My doctor will be putting a gas bubble in my eye, and I will have to remain face down for a week then face up for a week. I have a massage therapy table with a donut in the end that I can use, but that table will be getting hard fast! I have no clue how I will sleep.

Comment from: blindspot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 37-years-old and noticed a dark spot on my right eye. I went to the Ophthalmologist the very next day and was immediately sent to surgery to repair the retinal detachment. My first surgery was in September and I have had two additional surgeries since then because my retina keeps re-detaching. I have had the buckle placed on, two gas bubbles and now an oil bubble. This last surgery they removed my lense and the cataract. I will have an additional surgery to remove the oil bubble and be given a replacement lense. I have spent the last two months trying to recover and I hope to have no further problems. My advice to anyone is to seek treatment the minute you see flashing lights or slow moving lights that float across your eye. I waited too long and should have been treated sooner.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 55 years old. I discovered I had a detached retina when I failed my driver test and was referred to an eye doctor. I was originally diagnosed as having a "lazy eye" in the army. I don't know how it happened except that a grenade went off, and I went into the outpatient clinic where they noticed I had a macular hole in my right eye. I have been fighting with the VA for thirty years over this being “service connected” because it was less than a month after discharge from the army that this detached retina was discovered. The operation was successful in repairing the detached retina, and now I just had a cataract removed and a lens implant this October, which so far has been successful.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.