Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I will be having retina reattachment in two days. My doctor will be putting a gas bubble in my eye, and I will have to remain face down for a week then face up for a week. I have a massage therapy table with a donut in the end that I can use, but that table will be getting hard fast! I have no clue how I will sleep.

Comment from: blindspot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 37-years-old and noticed a dark spot on my right eye. I went to the Ophthalmologist the very next day and was immediately sent to surgery to repair the retinal detachment. My first surgery was in September and I have had two additional surgeries since then because my retina keeps re-detaching. I have had the buckle placed on, two gas bubbles and now an oil bubble. This last surgery they removed my lense and the cataract. I will have an additional surgery to remove the oil bubble and be given a replacement lense. I have spent the last two months trying to recover and I hope to have no further problems. My advice to anyone is to seek treatment the minute you see flashing lights or slow moving lights that float across your eye. I waited too long and should have been treated sooner.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 55 years old. I discovered I had a detached retina when I failed my driver test and was referred to an eye doctor. I was originally diagnosed as having a "lazy eye" in the army. I don't know how it happened except that a grenade went off, and I went into the outpatient clinic where they noticed I had a macular hole in my right eye. I have been fighting with the VA for thirty years over this being “service connected” because it was less than a month after discharge from the army that this detached retina was discovered. The operation was successful in repairing the detached retina, and now I just had a cataract removed and a lens implant this October, which so far has been successful.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I suffered a retinal detachment two years ago. I had a band, as well as gas bubble. Vision in the eye is not great, but adequate . Since I have a good eye, I do not wear glasses most of the time. Eye droops, but then again people tell me that I look like Peter Falk. Unfortunately, my other eye is now experiencing PVD. Hoping to catch it before a detachment.

Comment from: K-pri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 28 years old. I found out I had retinal detachment when I was 6 years old. It wasn't operated on until I was 9. I had it in my left eye, but it affected my right eye. After operating on both eyes, I thought everything would be alright, but my doctor said he had to operate on my left eye again. This surgery changed my life because my left eye became smaller than my right eye, and that made my childhood life unbearable as I was often teased by my peers and even adults. When I was 15, I had to do another surgery because a part of the band that was placed inside was showing and it was visible to everyone. It was very embarrassing. Now I have tested glasses, but I hardly wear them because my right eye has 20/20 vision. My left eye has very little sight, but I am grateful that I'm not blind. I just have to live the rest of my life with my left eye smaller. I still give thanks; I could have been worse.

Comment from: Mish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 48-year-old female. I was involved in a car accident where I was stationery in my vehicle and hit behind by a car doing 60 kms and not even breaking. I was thrown forward and the seat belt pulled me back. After the accident, I was seeing black spots. Thinking this was to do with blood pressure, I was not concerned. Two weeks later, I noticed a shadow over my left eye. I went to the optometrist to have my eyes checked. After a thorough examination, I was told I had retinal detachment. I went straight to Sydney Eye Hospital and had surgery and a gas bubble inserted. I have had no pain before or after the surgery. It has now been 10 days since the surgery, and the retina at the moment is flat, but they cannot give me any guarantees, as it was a large tear. The hardest part was lying on my stomach with my head down to keep the gas bubble in position.

Comment from: bobby d , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

In dark conditions, I see flashes of light in the outer corner of my left eye. They don't occur in daylight conditions. They are momentary. I may experience them from zero to a dozen times an evening. I first noted them several weeks ago. The experience is random and I don't see a progression in number of times or severity or visibility of the flashes. The first few times they occurred while I was driving. I thought I was seeing a vehicles tail lights off to my left. However, they also appeared in my bedroom and where there was no light source available.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.