Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Pattyj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

At age 30, I had a severe trauma to my left eye and my retina could not be reattached. I had surgery but was told that I would never be able to see out of that eye again. I think they put oil in my eye to keep it from collapsing. That was 13 years ago, now I'm noticing that eye is moving on its own, so I will be making an eye appointment as soon as possible.

Comment from: Iylia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am suffering with retinal detachment at the age of 23, and I have undergone the surgery. But I've been suffering some mild pain in the eye and it gets tired easily and also sometimes I tend to get headache because of the eye pain that I am suffering.

Comment from: memmons9, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I noticed my retinal detachment while watching TV, when I covered my other eye and saw a small black bubble near my nose next to my right eye. Prior to this, I had been noticing what I will describe as a car headlight driving by. It was not like lightning flashes. I had cataract surgery years ago with the intraocular lenses. I had surgery scleral buckle and vitrectomy. I had to sleep on my left side and then on either side or face down but never on my back. After one month I still could not see any evidence of the gas bubble dissipating. After two months the gas/gel line was right in my line of sight. After three months I still have a small bubble that is very distracting when looking down. The bubble acts like a magnifying glass in my line of sight. I have the cloudy membrane behind my lens and am scheduled for a YAG capsulotomy next week. It has been 3.5 months. I can feel the pressure of the band placed on my eye during surgery and I have double vision whenever I open my eyes wide. I don't know if these symptoms will go away with time or not.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

At 38 I had 3 retinal detachments. I have had the buckle and 3 gas bubbles. My doctor removed my lens and capsule. The vision in my left eye is very blurry. I go tomorrow for a contact lens. If my eye does not tolerate the contact lens I will have to get a permanent lens implant sewn into my eye.

Comment from: indian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had surgery 4 years back for retinal detachment due to not seeing geometrical shapes in their actual shapes; e.g., straight lines looked curvy. After surgery also I haven't experienced much recovery in seeing geometrical shapes.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

I had my retinal detachment operation on my left eye 30 years ago, it was fine and I recovered well. However, recently, I found that my left eye cannot focus well and slides to the side when I look straight. I went to see an eye doctor and he said that my fourth nerve system on my right eye is weakening and I should have an operation on my right eye to correct my left eye's problem. I am not sure if I should take a second advice or just take the operation.

Comment from: caretaker101, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My grandmother had cataract surgery some 1 and a half months back and many problems developed. But just 3 days back did we get to know that retinal detachment was one of them! Vision loss had been there for this whole time, but everyone here in my family was inclined to treatment and cure of the other problems that had developed! Even the doctor that my grandmother had been visiting didn't tell us about the problem of retinal detachment and nobody had an idea that it was the result of the vision loss! My concern is that the new doctor we visited 3 days ago said that treatment would not result in restoration of vision because the detachment had been left untreated for a long time (a month or so). I know that vision restoration may take few months, but we're inclined for the treatment, only if there's some good chance, because it is not possible to risk some other problem occurring due to this surgery, already the problems are not few! We are from an average middle level family! Money is a factor of consideration, but we are trying our best!

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.