Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I just had the surgery to remove the oil from my 3rd retinal detachment. I now have this issue that I have bright lights in the field of vision in both eyes preventing me from being able to read the eye chart effectively.

Comment from: EKG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been fairly near-sighted since childhood. I got a floater a couple of months ago, which I ignored because I've had many. I also then got a flashing in my right eye. I was due into the eye doctor and was going to mention this, having no idea this was an important sign of a possible tear. More education would be really great, and I plan to mention this to everyone I know. About three weeks ago, I started seeing a half moon at the lower part of the eye, and within about three to four days, my vision was half blocked by this moon. So I went to the ER, and then a retinal specialist, followed by surgery the next day for what the specialist called a "complicated" retinal detachment. I had everything done: fluid removed, gas bubble and the band. I've been feeling terrible that I didn't catch this when it was likely just a tear. It is healing well, and we are ahead of schedule. My vision is pretty off right now and the lid is still a little droopy, but each week it improves. I was praised for following the head positioning instructions, and even though it is a hassle, I strongly urge everyone with the bubble to follow these instructions most religiously. I even found a way to sleep with my head down. I also just rested a lot, no reading and all physical movements slow and careful. I think my behavior during the first week was critical in the fact that things (for the moment anyway) are healing fairly well. Don't try to be a hero ... this is your vision. I also think going directly to a retinal specialist is well worth the money.

Comment from: MT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

On a Sunday, I began to notice an area near the nose-side of my left eye. The area was gray, but I could see through it. By Monday, the area had grown to cover the center of my eye. On Monday, I saw my optometrist who referred me to a retinal specialist. The next day, I visited the specialist who immediately diagnosed me with a retinal tear and performed a procedure involving freezing and the use of a gas bubble to put pressure on the repair. This was done in the doctor's office. There was some pain and pressure, but it was not unbearable. I saw the doctor for two follow-ups within the first week. My eye patch was removed on the first visit, and I could see that the "curtain" area was now OK, but my overall vision was poor. After a month, I am much improved, but I do have some problem with floaters. I also have noticed a curvature when looking at straight objects that causes some problems with reading; the doctor described this as a retinal pucker. I return to the specialist's office in about 11 weeks to see what further action might be appropriate.

Comment from: Sightless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Over Easter, while driving to my dad's, I noticed that I could only see out of part of my right eye. I let my eye go for one week until I went to the ER on a Friday night. On Saturday morning, I was scheduled for surgery. The specialist put in a gas bubble (nightmare!). The gas bubble did not work, and I still had fluid behind my eye. Two months later, I had the buckle surgery. It has now been six months after that surgery, and I still cannot see out of my eye. I have floaters and can only make out some shapes. I go back in December to my doctor to schedule another surgery. He also told me that my left eye will need surgery to prevent retinal detachment. My advice is to get two to three specialists' opinions, and don't wait!

Comment from: Susi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have severe myopia and worn eyeglasses since age 8. My optometrist noted lattice degeneration in both eyes about 10 years ago. About seven weeks ago, I noticed flashing lights in my peripheral vision while driving at night. I mistakenly thought it was a vehicle moving into my lane! Later that evening what appeared to be wisps of dark smoke or cobwebs began floating across my right eye. I went to the ophthalmologist the next morning and was diagnosed with seven retinal tears and two detached areas in my right eye. They immediately referred me to a "retinal specialist" who said these were spontaneous tears and detachments. He performed laser therapy to "tac weld" the damaged areas in the right eye. One week later, he used a laser on my left eye as a preventive measure. My vision remains a bit blurry, but I'm hopeful it will continue to improve.

Comment from: dmd65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

One week after running into a glass window, thinking it was an open sliding door, I noticed a small, dark spot in the inside corner of my right eye. The spot grew to the point that it covered my pupil. I had retinal surgery the fourth week after the trauma. Unfortunately, my doctor said it was a floater ... I went to another doctor, and he said it was a detached retina. By the fourth week, the retina was 40% detached. Had I gone sooner for surgery, the detachment would have been less. The recovery period is critical to a successful surgery. Keep your head down, with the use of a massage chair, so that the gas bubble can put pressure on the retina. Looking back on my experience, I would have gone to the doctor that first week that the dark spot was noticeable.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.