Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: caretaker101, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My grandmother had cataract surgery some 1 and a half months back and many problems developed. But just 3 days back did we get to know that retinal detachment was one of them! Vision loss had been there for this whole time, but everyone here in my family was inclined to treatment and cure of the other problems that had developed! Even the doctor that my grandmother had been visiting didn't tell us about the problem of retinal detachment and nobody had an idea that it was the result of the vision loss! My concern is that the new doctor we visited 3 days ago said that treatment would not result in restoration of vision because the detachment had been left untreated for a long time (a month or so). I know that vision restoration may take few months, but we're inclined for the treatment, only if there's some good chance, because it is not possible to risk some other problem occurring due to this surgery, already the problems are not few! We are from an average middle level family! Money is a factor of consideration, but we are trying our best!

Comment from: 4timesuccess, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had three detached retinas and this will be my fourth next Monday. I have to say that I have had the best doctor. All of my detached surgeries have been very successful. I am one of the lucky ones I am told, but I believe it is important to have the right doctor for this kind of surgery. I have had the buckle on the first and the gas on the last two. I will be having the gas on this one that I am facing. Again to all of you who are facing this, just know that if treated with the right procedure it will all be ok. It is very important to do as your doctor says after surgery. Lie the way he wants you to for as long as he wants you to do so. I lay on my face for the last one for several days and all turned out well. I am told that this time I will be lying on my back with head elevated for this next one. Again I cannot express enough how important it is to have an excellent qualified doctor and most import to do as he says.

Comment from: Pattyj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

At age 30, I had a severe trauma to my left eye and my retina could not be reattached. I had surgery but was told that I would never be able to see out of that eye again. I think they put oil in my eye to keep it from collapsing. That was 13 years ago, now I'm noticing that eye is moving on its own, so I will be making an eye appointment as soon as possible.

Comment from: Iylia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am suffering with retinal detachment at the age of 23, and I have undergone the surgery. But I've been suffering some mild pain in the eye and it gets tired easily and also sometimes I tend to get headache because of the eye pain that I am suffering.

Comment from: memmons9, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I noticed my retinal detachment while watching TV, when I covered my other eye and saw a small black bubble near my nose next to my right eye. Prior to this, I had been noticing what I will describe as a car headlight driving by. It was not like lightning flashes. I had cataract surgery years ago with the intraocular lenses. I had surgery scleral buckle and vitrectomy. I had to sleep on my left side and then on either side or face down but never on my back. After one month I still could not see any evidence of the gas bubble dissipating. After two months the gas/gel line was right in my line of sight. After three months I still have a small bubble that is very distracting when looking down. The bubble acts like a magnifying glass in my line of sight. I have the cloudy membrane behind my lens and am scheduled for a YAG capsulotomy next week. It has been 3.5 months. I can feel the pressure of the band placed on my eye during surgery and I have double vision whenever I open my eyes wide. I don't know if these symptoms will go away with time or not.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

At 38 I had 3 retinal detachments. I have had the buckle and 3 gas bubbles. My doctor removed my lens and capsule. The vision in my left eye is very blurry. I go tomorrow for a contact lens. If my eye does not tolerate the contact lens I will have to get a permanent lens implant sewn into my eye.

Comment from: waynerp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was recently hit directly in the eye with a small ball that my 2 year old son threw at me from 2 feet away. About 2 weeks later I started to develop half circles on each side of my eye as I looked or turned right or left. Not that it bothered my vision but I was worried something was wrong so I went for an eye exam and after 2 hours of an excruciating eye exam the optometrist told me my eyes were perfect and no retina damage at all. Two days later, I was getting flashes in my eye and floaters in my vision, I wonder if I have a torn retina but how after an extensive exam it can be missed.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.