Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment.

Comment from: TJB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

It is now eight months after detached retina surgery. My vision out of the affected eye is about 20/90 and about 40 to 50 percent smaller than what the other eye sees, thus very blurry.

Comment from: Pattyj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

At age 30, I had a severe trauma to my left eye and my retina could not be reattached. I had surgery but was told that I would never be able to see out of that eye again. I think they put oil in my eye to keep it from collapsing. That was 13 years ago, now I'm noticing that eye is moving on its own, so I will be making an eye appointment as soon as possible.

Comment from: Iylia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am suffering with retinal detachment at the age of 23, and I have undergone the surgery. But I've been suffering some mild pain in the eye and it gets tired easily and also sometimes I tend to get headache because of the eye pain that I am suffering.

Comment from: memmons9, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I noticed my retinal detachment while watching TV, when I covered my other eye and saw a small black bubble near my nose next to my right eye. Prior to this, I had been noticing what I will describe as a car headlight driving by. It was not like lightning flashes. I had cataract surgery years ago with the intraocular lenses. I had surgery scleral buckle and vitrectomy. I had to sleep on my left side and then on either side or face down but never on my back. After one month I still could not see any evidence of the gas bubble dissipating. After two months the gas/gel line was right in my line of sight. After three months I still have a small bubble that is very distracting when looking down. The bubble acts like a magnifying glass in my line of sight. I have the cloudy membrane behind my lens and am scheduled for a YAG capsulotomy next week. It has been 3.5 months. I can feel the pressure of the band placed on my eye during surgery and I have double vision whenever I open my eyes wide. I don't know if these symptoms will go away with time or not.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

At 38 I had 3 retinal detachments. I have had the buckle and 3 gas bubbles. My doctor removed my lens and capsule. The vision in my left eye is very blurry. I go tomorrow for a contact lens. If my eye does not tolerate the contact lens I will have to get a permanent lens implant sewn into my eye.

Comment from: Jamila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had retinal detachment. After first operation, I was able to see well, put liquid not gas and laser. Then after a month, it detached again, severe tear and the second operation did not help. Severe cataract developed and a third operation was done.

Comment from: pattyfran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had retinal reattachment surgery on Tuesday. I had the buckle and gas bubble treatment. I can barely crack it open to put drops in.

Comment from: Shadow, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had retinal surgery for detachment on January 14. At that time a gas bubble was put in during surgery, I was told that sleeping on my right side was vital. I did so for two weeks. After the next checkup I was told to switch to sleeping on my stomach. It is now about forty two days since surgery and the bubble has started to move down from the top of the eye leaving me with clear vision and no floaters. I was told by the surgeon that average healing time will be two months.

Retinal Detachment - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your retinal detachment?
Retinal Detachment - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results?
Retinal Detachment - Surgery Question: Discuss your retinal detachment surgery and its results.
Retinal Detachment - Predisposing Eye Diseases Question: Did you have another eye disease that predisposed you to develop a detached retina? Please share your story.