Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: beerycondel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I take Mirapex for my restless leg syndrome, but don't particularly like it since it also causes nausea and diarrhea.

Comment from: sheriseams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Vicks VapoRub is so much less expensive than PK4 spray which also works for restless leg syndrome. It is the eucalyptus that reduces swelling. The restless leg has to do with inflammation inside the legs and by reducing the swelling, the pain is relieved. I have had the problem since childhood and didn't have a solution for many years.

Comment from: Len, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am 55 and use Carbilev 25 mg 30 minutes before I go to bed at night and it works for my restless leg syndrome. Without it I cannot sleep.

Comment from: SusieQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

If you are a woman and about menopause age, progesterone cream rubbed into your shins may help with your restless leg syndrome. It works for me every time. I'm better within 10 minutes. You can buy it over the counter or ask your doctor for a prescription. I started having restless legs at about 46 (peri-menopause age) and still occasionally have it at 51. (I tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements, antidepressant, gabapentin, and I walk 3 miles nearly every day, but it did not help.) It was a hormone thing for me. Good luck!

Comment from: sven, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I started having totally sleepless nights due to restless leg syndrome. I found that 300 mg of gabapentin shuts it down 100 percent. It is real cheap and has no side effects as far as I can tell. The bad news is it seems to last me only about 3 hours. It takes an hour to kick in so I found a rapid release Tylenol helps bridge the gap. I've only been on it for 2 weeks. There is a time release version, Horizant, but it is patented and costs over USD 200 a month.

Comment from: Tim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I take 3 mg of ropinirole for restless leg syndrome, which helps a little. Don't laugh but I am putting a bar of soap in my bed at night and it seems to be working.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My husband has had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for years, since we've been married and that's 33 years. He's been on Mirapex forever too and I'm sure I don't have to tell you all what kind of social life we have because of it. I read an article last night that might just change everything for us. It was an article about Vicks VapoRub and how it relieves the symptoms. He has such horrible burning he never sleeps through the night. Last night he did. All the way through the night. He was in such pain and having read the article I thought we have nothing to lose. It was life changing and that's understating it. You have to try this.

Comment from: Metoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) most of my life. I have taken many different drugs, some have done nothing. Some have helped for a while. I now take sleep medicines. I am asleep within 10 minutes. I sleep all night. I wonder why the doctors did not think of this sooner.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.