Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Flora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a RLS (restless leg syndrome) sufferer for many years now. I was so frustrated and tired all the time. I often felt like my general physician won't really believe me when I spoke to him about my condition. About 2 years ago i got injured in my right shoulder, my specialists prescribed me some oxycodone for the pain. Yes, I know that it is a narcotic but it has been the only medicine that has helped me. I only take one pill of 10mg before bedtime and I sleep like a baby with no morning drowsiness. I had previously tried taking magnesium and B12 and more iron supplements but to no relief. I also tried Mirapex and baclofen but it did nothing. I also don't drink coffee nor smoke. Needless to say that I also have RLS during the day but tolerate it with constant movement as I work. When I go to bed it is at its worse. I know that taking narcotics is not the right route but it is the only thing that has worked for me.

Comment from: Lyndyloo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I started with restless legs in my early 40s and at first it only occurred about the time of my periods but with menopause it became worse. I used to sleep eventually with ice blocks under my calves. I was given ropinirole by a locum doctor at our practice and I haven't looked back since. It was a lifesaver!

Comment from: Vonnierae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) since I was a child and the older I get, the more intense it is. Finally, when in my 40s, I was diagnosed with RLS. Mirapex lessened my symptoms but I was continually increasing the dosage to decrease the symptoms. Then I went to a sleep specialist and he prescribed ropinirole plus Tylenol #3 at bedtime and it works most of the time. I finally get consistent good sleep. I use a weighted blanket, lap size, when I need to sit for any length of time and travel with it. The only thing that stops an episode is an extremely hot bath immersing all but my head. Within 2 minutes the symptoms are gone. The water needs to be as hot as you can endure. I soak for 10 to 15 minutes and dry off with a towel that I warm up in the dryer while the tub is filling. I roll the towel and it stays toasty until I need it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) for several years, not knowing what it was for the most. It started out with my right leg feeling like it had no blood, just a weird feeling but recently it feels like hot liquid running up and down my leg along with spiders crawling, the whole gambit. Now it has gone to the other leg as well as my right arm. I am on Requip along with Tegretol. I take the Requip about an hour before bed or it won't work. I was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnea as well, I think they run hand in hand, get tested, you don"t want to die in your sleep.

Published: April 09

I was diagnosed with RLS about 10 years ago. I first noticed the sensations while riding in the car. I thought I was going crazy until I went to the doctor for my annual physical and just happened to mention the symptoms to her. Thankfully, she immediately knew what it was and prescribed amitriptyline (10 mg) to be taken at bedtime. Within three weeks, I was finally sleeping through the night. She told me she wasn't sure why this particular drug works for RLS, but that she had heard positive results from others. It takes several weeks before the results "kick in," and when I went off the drug several years ago for about six weeks, my symptoms returned. I'm hoping it works for others; it worked and continues to work for me with no increase in dosage and no side effects other than possibly (can't be sure) making it more difficult to lose weight. It's also cheap.

Comment from: Living with it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had this horrible problem for most of my life. I remember being a small child kicking the seats and walking my feet and legs up the windows to get the coolness to settle my legs. I am now 50 years old and currently taking ropinorole. This works but it takes about 45 minutes of suffering for it to finally kick in then I get tired.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.