Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Vivianne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have had restless leg syndrome for years and the only thing that has ever help me stop it when it starts is to wash my legs with a cold water face cloth. It seem to change the body temperature and then I fall asleep instantly thereafter and sleep all night long. It works well. Best of luck.

Comment from: Mazie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been suffering with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for over 3 years. When a friend who has an autistic child was visiting me, she suggested lending me her child's weighted blanket to try on my leg at night. Reluctantly I accepted her offer. When I placed the blanket on my leg, within minutes, I had relief. Now I own a small weighted blanket and it does the trick every time.

Comment from: Tara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been a lifetime sufferer of restless leg syndrome (RLS). I finally discovered a cure. The problem is dairy. I found this out by accident. Eliminate it from your diet and you will be totally free of RLS. If I just have a glass of milk or put cheese on anything, bam, it is right back. Believe me, eliminate dairy and you will no longer have RLS. The culprit is a protein in milk called casein. It is super high in cow's milk. It doesn't seem like doctors have associated it with dairy yet, but I know many people who have discovered the milk/RLS connection and are relieved once it is eliminated from their diet, including me. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose but RLS symptoms for good.

Comment from: david, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I was using Sandoz pramipexole for restless leg syndrome (RLS) and it worked well for a long time. I tried quitting, and my RLS came back. I was starting to have some side effects from pramipexole. This may have been caused from a new medication I am taking. I am going back on pramipexole, anything is better than RLS.

Comment from: rlsbigtime, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I read that iron deficiency may be the reason we suffer from restless leg syndrome. Mine is getting worse. Requip works but I am starting to need more in the middle of the night. I want to try anything that will help and maybe will mean I do not need extra dose of medicines. I wonder if I can find relief by increasing the iron in my diet. I see Grape Nuts, Total and some other cereals have high percentage of iron.

Comment from: FeelT2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) since I was very young. I had polio when I was about 7 years old. I thought maybe that had something to do with it. I had leg cramps usually, in the right leg, mainly the calf and foot, in my teens, during the day and night. This progressed, in my 20s, to the crawly feeling on my skin or liquid going down my legs. I always thought it was blood. I had the soles of my feet burning hot. Some of my sandals turned black, so I knew that it was not 'all in my head as many doctors told me. It hurt to have anything touching the bottom of my feet. I still have that problem now, at night mostly. I am 66 1/3 years old. I had insomnia already plus, my legs would not quit jerking and I had crawly feelings and jolts of electricity or stabs. It was also deep in my bones and it would feel as if something was chewing on my leg bones. Then, in my 30s, pain started in my right leg, then in both legs, up to the hips and including both feet. For the restless legs and cramps, which twist your feet and legs into impossible positions, quinine or quinidine once a day, at night. It really helped me. But you must take it daily and not just when you think it might happen. It is in tonic water but not enough to stop the leg camps or RLS. Hope that this has been helpful.

Comment from: beerycondel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I take Mirapex for my restless leg syndrome, but don't particularly like it since it also causes nausea and diarrhea.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.