Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Ann, Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I'm 70 years old and have had restless leg syndrome for several years. The doctor prescribed Mirapex. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it makes me jittery. Right now it is 3:30 am and I'm still awake because my legs still jerk.

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Have had restless leg syndrome for years but never labeled it. I described it as "mini-spasms" or electrical shocks in my buttocks and down my leg, especially aggravating at night or while sitting for a period of time. I took Gabapentin and woke in the AM, looked at my legs and could hardly believe they were mine - they were calm!

Comment from: christopher65708, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

When I was little I thought I wasn't normal because I would always have to shake my legs because the feeling I would sometimes get I could never explain. At night the moving of the legs keeps my wife up and I can't fall asleep unless I am so tired my body just passes out.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Ropinirole has been the most effective for my restless leg syndrome. I am over 90 years old and have had RLS for many years (over 30). My Mother also had RLS; however the doctor did not diagnose it. I have tried Gabapentin and Mirapex. I begin taking 1 gm about 1 pm and take another 1 gm about every 3 or 4 hours until bedtime. If I begin to experience RLS when trying to sleep, I take another 1 gm. This regimen does give me a fair amount of relief.

Comment from: Melanie, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am an 11 year old female. I just found out about RLS. I can explain it as a pulling feeling in my legs. I usually get this feeling during school or I wake up in the middle of the night with it. It has slowly been getting worse over time, and I cannot relieve myself during school because I can't stand up. I know that there is no cure for RLS, but I hope there is one made soon as it disrupts so many people's lives.

Comment from: Les, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

Most effective is diet management and temp control. Carbs after 8 pm drive my legs crazy (usually the right one, but the left one takes over when the right is on break). That includes most things I like to eat along with a glass of wine. When they do act up, I get some relief in bed by putting my legs outside the covers (in the winter) and freezing them. It really seems to help, and eventually you get used to the frostbite. I also take Klonopin periodically, but it scares me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have restless leg syndrome and I am 40 years old. It has gotten more severe as I get older. It is also in my arms. I tried Requip with no reief and it made me vomit. I stumbled upon Ultram...and it seems to be working the best. I take one 50mg tablet 2x a day and there are no side effects. I didn't take it one night recently and the symptoms were back, didn't get to sleep till 6am. I thought I was going insane.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Mirapex or the generic thereof is the only remedy for me so far. I call it "a miracle drug."

Comment from: sheri l, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had RLS for about 15 years. Seems to get worse the older I get. I have been on Mirapex/Pramipexole for about 2 years and it helps sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The times that it doesn't I usually end up taking some kind of sleep aid with it. Getting no sleep is the worse part. My legs fell like there is something inside of them moving. Usually it is only one leg at a time that bothers me. Sometimes I have it in my arms. My mother had it for years and we thought she was just exaggerating, we couldn't believe her legs could bother her that much. She usually got in a hot tub of water and took Tylenol 2 to help. Now I know what she was experiencing.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.