Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Les, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

Most effective is diet management and temp control. Carbs after 8 pm drive my legs crazy (usually the right one, but the left one takes over when the right is on break). That includes most things I like to eat along with a glass of wine. When they do act up, I get some relief in bed by putting my legs outside the covers (in the winter) and freezing them. It really seems to help, and eventually you get used to the frostbite. I also take Klonopin periodically, but it scares me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have restless leg syndrome and I am 40 years old. It has gotten more severe as I get older. It is also in my arms. I tried Requip with no reief and it made me vomit. I stumbled upon Ultram...and it seems to be working the best. I take one 50mg tablet 2x a day and there are no side effects. I didn't take it one night recently and the symptoms were back, didn't get to sleep till 6am. I thought I was going insane.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Mirapex or the generic thereof is the only remedy for me so far. I call it "a miracle drug."

Comment from: sheri l, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had RLS for about 15 years. Seems to get worse the older I get. I have been on Mirapex/Pramipexole for about 2 years and it helps sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The times that it doesn't I usually end up taking some kind of sleep aid with it. Getting no sleep is the worse part. My legs fell like there is something inside of them moving. Usually it is only one leg at a time that bothers me. Sometimes I have it in my arms. My mother had it for years and we thought she was just exaggerating, we couldn't believe her legs could bother her that much. She usually got in a hot tub of water and took Tylenol 2 to help. Now I know what she was experiencing.

Comment from: cutieswan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been on mirapex and it did nothing for my restless leg syndrome attacks, so I was put on requip the generic version ropinorole 2mg. It takes 1 hour to actually kick in and relieve symptoms but rls has ruined my life. I used to enjoy taking trips now I have to depend for my spouse to drive to me because I have to take requip before a trip or a movie and then I'm so sleepy it puts me to sleep. What worries me is that in case I'm ever in the hospital for any sort of procedure I hope the medical staff will give me my rls meds as I take them at home or as they are prescribed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 27

I have had restless leg syndrome for 5 years. I take Mirapex. It does help. I work out, walk, and eat sensibly.

Comment from: wind4dance, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I found that anything containing monosodium glutamate (MSG) either causes or aggravates restless leg syndrome. Many food manufacturers have not stopped including it in their products. I'd like to see it banned. My family did several blind studies on me and I agree with my findings. Please share this information with sufferers. Since MSG also causes violent headaches and stomach upsets, then it stands to reason it could be the culprit.

Comment from: babydog49, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I had restless legs for years, this to me feels like worms moving in your legs/arms at times. I take reqiup and it helps, but it's too much money I sometimes walk at night to ease it. If I take something to help me sleep, it gets worse.

Comment from: Winkie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I am currently taking a variety of medications for rls including: requip 2mg bid; gabapentin 300mg bid; Klonopin 0.5 at bedtime. The most effective single medication is requip, but obviously it's not enough otherwise I wouldn't need the others. Also, hot showers help a lot, but no one thing works alone.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.