Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Male Published: April 19

I started to get Restless leg syndrome in my mid twenties and still have it as a 55 year old male. I'm very athletic, eat well and have not been able to find any cure for it. I have tried deep knee bends, when it starts but it only relieves it when I'm actually doing them. I usually get it when trying to sleep, and have been awake all night often. I had an operation about 20 years ago, and they gave me codeine for the pain. I also noticed that codeine stopped the restless leg syndrome, and have been taking it most nights. It's the only thing that I have found to relieve the symptoms. Not a good thing to use every night, but it's better than not sleeping.

Comment from: ExNYer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

About 15 years ago, I started having an aching feeling in my legs and had trouble sleeping because it was so bad. I told my Dr. about it and he just said that his legs ached too. Needless to say, I got another doctor, but he didn't know what it was either. Finally, I read an article on Restless Leg Syndrome and realized that is what I had. The article said a way to stop the ache was to lay on your stomach for about 10 or 15 minutes and the pain would go away. Believe me, IT WORKED!! I know it sounds really strange, but it works for me.

Comment from: TAofSBK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I recently lost my job in Aug. and my health is not good. I have not been able to seek a doctor and about 3 months ago began to experience symptoms not described by RLS. I don't have the urge to move my legs at night but when I'm sitting or lying down I feel my legs move and you can see my muscles or nerves or whatever move. It looks like a facial tic all over my thighs and calves. At times I can feel the tics in my arms and sides of my body. I know the answer will be...go to a doctor. I can't afford the office visits or the lab tests. There is no help out there for the newly poor without work. I am diabetic but my diabetes is very controlled. My nerves however are out of control. Living under lots of stress. I'm 62.

Comment from: Ann, Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I'm 70 years old and have had restless leg syndrome for several years. The doctor prescribed Mirapex. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it makes me jittery. Right now it is 3:30 am and I'm still awake because my legs still jerk.

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Have had restless leg syndrome for years but never labeled it. I described it as "mini-spasms" or electrical shocks in my buttocks and down my leg, especially aggravating at night or while sitting for a period of time. I took Gabapentin and woke in the AM, looked at my legs and could hardly believe they were mine - they were calm!

Comment from: christopher65708, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

When I was little I thought I wasn't normal because I would always have to shake my legs because the feeling I would sometimes get I could never explain. At night the moving of the legs keeps my wife up and I can't fall asleep unless I am so tired my body just passes out.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Ropinirole has been the most effective for my restless leg syndrome. I am over 90 years old and have had RLS for many years (over 30). My Mother also had RLS; however the doctor did not diagnose it. I have tried Gabapentin and Mirapex. I begin taking 1 gm about 1 pm and take another 1 gm about every 3 or 4 hours until bedtime. If I begin to experience RLS when trying to sleep, I take another 1 gm. This regimen does give me a fair amount of relief.

Comment from: Melanie, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am an 11 year old female. I just found out about RLS. I can explain it as a pulling feeling in my legs. I usually get this feeling during school or I wake up in the middle of the night with it. It has slowly been getting worse over time, and I cannot relieve myself during school because I can't stand up. I know that there is no cure for RLS, but I hope there is one made soon as it disrupts so many people's lives.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.