Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Weeroo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

For restless leg syndrome, massage with a rolling pin, always rolling up from ankle toward the heart. Do not do this if you have bad varicose veins. Very effective and easy to do yourself.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) for several years, not knowing what it was for the most. It started out with my right leg feeling like it had no blood, just a weird feeling but recently it feels like hot liquid running up and down my leg along with spiders crawling, the whole gambit. Now it has gone to the other leg as well as my right arm. I am on Requip along with Tegretol. I take the Requip about an hour before bed or it won't work. I was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnea as well, I think they run hand in hand, get tested, you don"t want to die in your sleep.

Published: April 09

I was diagnosed with RLS about 10 years ago. I first noticed the sensations while riding in the car. I thought I was going crazy until I went to the doctor for my annual physical and just happened to mention the symptoms to her. Thankfully, she immediately knew what it was and prescribed amitriptyline (10 mg) to be taken at bedtime. Within three weeks, I was finally sleeping through the night. She told me she wasn't sure why this particular drug works for RLS, but that she had heard positive results from others. It takes several weeks before the results "kick in," and when I went off the drug several years ago for about six weeks, my symptoms returned. I'm hoping it works for others; it worked and continues to work for me with no increase in dosage and no side effects other than possibly (can't be sure) making it more difficult to lose weight. It's also cheap.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) was diagnosed two years ago. I get continual sensations in my legs, sometimes my whole body. My legs can have a burning feeling. Jerky movements can happen at any time. I choose to take no medications. I'm learning to keep life stress-free. When at work, I try to walk or move as much as possible. Exercise, especially running, helps me control my RLS. Anything cold can relieve symptoms, at times. I'm sleep deprived, so I try to take naps when I can.

Comment from: Sandi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 48 years old with RLS. My first symptom was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed three years ago and have been on Meriplex. The doctor recently doubled the dose; it doesn't seem to work well. I am miserable. Last night was the first time I had severe arm jerking. In the past, the only thing that had helped was moisturizing my feet and putting socks on; it seemed to help with sensitivity. But now I am lost as to what to do! I am exhausted and sad; it is affecting my everyday life.

Comment from: linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have had RLS for only the last 4 years. I am 59 and very involved in high activity and stressful job. The lack of sleep was overwhelming for the first two years, and there were moments when I thought this was it, no releif. My doctor put me on Pramipexole and from the first night it worked. I do have a session about once a month where it is bad and I count my blessings that it is not every night. However there is a manufacturers "short" of this drug and cannot access any. My doctor now put me on Ropinorole and it is not working, 3nights on 3 nights up all night...rats! I will try Mirapex as some suggested. Once you get the sweet dreams it is hard to go back to the nightmare!

Comment from: Irishlady, Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am a retired 65 y/o female who has had RLS since my teens. I never realized it was a neurological disorder that could be treated. I have had problems sitting for any length of time and lying in bed when it gets especially bad. Sitting while teaching was so difficult. About 2 years ago, I saw a doctor who prescribed Mirapex. I also take iron and vitamin C, as my Ferretin level was low. I take the Mirapex routinely at bedtime, and intermittently during the day if I have symptoms or know I will be sitting a long time. I have had tremendous relief, although I still have occasional humdingers about once a month. On those nights, I feel especially grateful for the relief I get most of the time!

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.