Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) was diagnosed two years ago. I get continual sensations in my legs, sometimes my whole body. My legs can have a burning feeling. Jerky movements can happen at any time. I choose to take no medications. I'm learning to keep life stress-free. When at work, I try to walk or move as much as possible. Exercise, especially running, helps me control my RLS. Anything cold can relieve symptoms, at times. I'm sleep deprived, so I try to take naps when I can.

Comment from: Sandi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 48 years old with RLS. My first symptom was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed three years ago and have been on Meriplex. The doctor recently doubled the dose; it doesn't seem to work well. I am miserable. Last night was the first time I had severe arm jerking. In the past, the only thing that had helped was moisturizing my feet and putting socks on; it seemed to help with sensitivity. But now I am lost as to what to do! I am exhausted and sad; it is affecting my everyday life.

Comment from: linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have had RLS for only the last 4 years. I am 59 and very involved in high activity and stressful job. The lack of sleep was overwhelming for the first two years, and there were moments when I thought this was it, no releif. My doctor put me on Pramipexole and from the first night it worked. I do have a session about once a month where it is bad and I count my blessings that it is not every night. However there is a manufacturers "short" of this drug and cannot access any. My doctor now put me on Ropinorole and it is not working, 3nights on 3 nights up all night...rats! I will try Mirapex as some suggested. Once you get the sweet dreams it is hard to go back to the nightmare!

Comment from: Irishlady, Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am a retired 65 y/o female who has had RLS since my teens. I never realized it was a neurological disorder that could be treated. I have had problems sitting for any length of time and lying in bed when it gets especially bad. Sitting while teaching was so difficult. About 2 years ago, I saw a doctor who prescribed Mirapex. I also take iron and vitamin C, as my Ferretin level was low. I take the Mirapex routinely at bedtime, and intermittently during the day if I have symptoms or know I will be sitting a long time. I have had tremendous relief, although I still have occasional humdingers about once a month. On those nights, I feel especially grateful for the relief I get most of the time!

Comment from: obscura, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have found that capsules of l-tyrosene, an amino acid and calcium and magnesium tablets (+ boron), help considerably. When at its worst, I take one of each and also take both each night at bedtime to try and stop it happening. It does not seem possible to prevent it entirely but the frequency of the RLS sensations is much less on this regime for me. Hope this helps. I first realized that calcium could help with this problem when I was pregnant, if I took a calcium tablet (crushed - it was many years ago) this would stop it.

Comment from: koradoras, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I have RLS since the age of 22. I am now 67. Having a job and raising my two children is unbelievable without sleep every night. I had about 2.5 hours sleep a night. My feet get hot, veins swell, a snake like feeling up and down my top half of my legs, legs jerking, sometimes it's the right leg, sometimes the left sometimes both. I couldn't even control going to a movie. Life was a hell during those years. Years later at the age of 40's I read in woman's magazine about mirapex, so I asked my doctor if I could try, long before this he prescribed many meds and to my disappointment it did not work. The first night I took the mirapex I fell asleep peacefully for the first time in 26 years. Now I can't live without them. I slept in and was late for work first time ever.

Comment from: AKA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

What a journey... I went through a lot already. What helps me is: - no starches (tomatoes, potatoes etc) - no cafeine (although sometimes a short black does help!) - less dairy product - tens machine if symptoms not too bad. - magnesium (liquid spray on skin is best absorbed) - no MSG - deep thumb massage in calves muscles - feet straight up the wall for 20 min. - melatonin 3mg for sleeping - aspirin sometimes - medical marijuana in any form - accupuncture - meditation Good luck to you with these :-)

Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.