Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) is horrible. I have had it since 1984 approximately. I take Requip but it doesn't always help. It may act up anytime of the day or night. If I get up in the middle of the night I am unable to go back to sleep due to RLS. My legs hurt and jump so much I don't know how much more I can stand. There must be help somewhere.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My first episode of restless leg syndrome (RLS) was at age 24 when pregnant. I am now 64 and RLS has increased. It can begin during the day and worsen when in bed, wanting to sleep. I also have atrial fibrillation and left heart failure. No one in my maternal family experienced RLS. I recently met several paternal cousins and asked them if they suffer with RLS. Many do. One does not fly because it is so bad with her. She has been helped with costly acupuncture. Both male and female cousins suffer as well as their children. Two of my four daughters also suffer with RLS.

Comment from: val4nier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

My legs feel as though an electric shock is going through them. When I fall asleep, day or night, I wake up every few minutes because my legs jerk. I have great fatigue and am drowsy because I do not sleep well because of the restless leg syndrome. Even sleeping upright in a chair does not help. Whether it is related or not, when I lie down I have numbness in some of my toes. My movements are often stiff. My muscles do not recover well from exercise.

Comment from: pbfudge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I'm 83 and have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about five years. It really robs me of sleep and I never get more than four or five hours a night, and I'm up and down all night. I currently use pramipexole and subsidize it with an oxycodone tablet or half of one about every day. I can't sit long as RLS always returns, so whether I like it or not, I have to stay in the 'up' position most of the time. I wish there was some kind of a contraption that would allow me to stand up in it and go to sleep, supporting me in the 'up' position! One thing I have found that also helps me is to take an ice pack and keep rubbing it up and down the leg that's bothering me, for about ten minutes. Then the RLS subsides. Ice works for me!

Comment from: Booboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I cannot stop moving my legs. I take clonazepam at night. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. My restless leg syndrome feels like worms wiggling inside my calves. Massage does not help, just in the short term.

Comment from: Fritz B., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I have had restless leg syndrome for quite a few years. I am now 72. There are no alternative or home remedies for this condition, none. In almost every case, current thinking is that insufficient quantities of iron in the brain cause this miserable disorder.

Comment from: twitchy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) feels like spiders walking on me or a hair being dragged across my legs. I have had RLS for all of my adult years. The past few years I have taken gabapentin and it has helped significantly. I need something else and my doctor recently prescribed Requip. During the first few weeks it worked and then I must have had a reaction to it and had the most severe diarrhea ever imaginable for seven days. This happens to be a side effect of the drug in about 3% of the people. Now I am hoping to find a different solution. Good Luck.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.