Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: raj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 44 years old and fighting with this restless leg syndrome for last four years. It starts at night in my feet as soon as I go to bed and gradually increases. Even though I feel sleepy I cannot sleep after lying on bed and closing the eyes. I do not take any medicines. If I cannot sleep I get up and do stretching, massaging, walking for some time and sleep again. When I do regular exercise it helps me to sleep immediately on bed before it gets aggravated.

Comment from: marbles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Up until age 60 I had very good health, or so I thought. Then heart failure, COPD, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep apnea... beginning to sound like a Studebaker way past its prime. Never noticed the RLS until after my open-heart surgery to replace aortic valve and my convalescing. With a new awareness of my body's failings, I realized I had been having minor RLS symptoms for years (constant low-grade tingling), passing it off as fatigue. Now, seemingly, a switch had been levered which brought this affliction to my daily life. Still working on a fix that works for me.

Comment from: Restless in CA, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) for about 20 years and it does seem to be getting worse. I am up to 2 pills a night. During the last decade I have notice that uric acid might have something to do with it. After about 2 hours of my legs spasming out, I go and void all the urine out of my system. I have not read any correlation about RLS and uric acid but I believe there is something to it. So, the next time (which will be tonight for many of you), sit on the throne, relax, read and void every drop. I hope this helps!

Comment from: Recycledritz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, reflex sympathetic dystrophy, migraines, restless leg syndrome and a very significant back pain problem. Of all these, RLS is by far the worst thing I deal with at night; it is pure torture. I was on Mirapex for 6 to 7 years and it worked great, then suddenly just quit working. I was prescribed Requip that worked for a few weeks then stopped working. I was then prescribed Neupro patches and I would have just as much results with a Band-Aid. I started taking supplements of magnesium, potassium, vitamin D and a very low dose of iron (on my own after research) and saw some relief for a short while. I continue with them even though I get no RLS benefit anymore. I really wish science would put more effort into finding cause and cure for this. One might say "but it's not life threatening"; unfortunately, that's true.

Comment from: JJG, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had RLS (restless leg syndrome) for as far back as I can remember. All four of my children have it too. When they were small we referred to it as "crawly legs". It wasn't until about ten years ago that I discovered there was treatment available. I take pramipexole and it has made a huge difference. Prior to treatment I had trouble sitting still long enough to watch a movie. Road trips were miserable, I would literally put my feet on the dashboard to try and get relief (fortunately I'm very limber!) I constantly had to keep my legs moving! I truly empathize with others dealing with this problem and encourage you to seek treatment. Also, exercise, especially walking, helps a lot.

Comment from: Julieg48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for many years. I was told it was stress and lack of sleep. People thought it funny to see my legs always "jumpy ". I was given a prescription which barely touched it. Finally someone took it seriously and I am now on road to a better way of living. It got so bad I couldn't sit at work or even drive my car. I so appreciate all the related articles... good to know I am not alone.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.