Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had restless legs and have tried many things until I found an old medication which is made of plant extract which was originally developed by a priest about 200 years ago. It's called 'Jouvence de l'Abbe Soury'. It is taken by diluting two coffee spoons of it in a little water. I have taken it so far at the start of my restless legs symptoms and managed to have a good night's sleep. I do not know it will work for everybody but it's worth a try. Make a search, several on line shops sell it.

Comment from: countryboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 30 years and it was getting worse. Medication would sometimes help, but not always. I tried everything without any luck. One day when my RLS was really hurting me, I thought of something that I had not tried for my pain. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water. Then I put ice in the bucket. I soaked my legs as long as I could, doing that several times. It relieved my RLS symptoms for that night. I hope that it might help you as well.

Comment from: gdedwards11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I think I know one reason for restless leg syndrome (RLS); what you eat! If I eat something that has caffeine, I can usually get away with eating (or drinking) later in the day. If I eat something heavy with sugar, like ice cream, I have to eat it earlier in the day or I get restless leg syndrome. The best cure, it doesn't always work, but it might if I drank enough water. Lots of water seems to help. If I'm having a bad night with RLS, I can get up and drink about a liter of water and the RLS goes away and I can usually sleep. Yes, movement helps. But I am convinced it has everything to do with what a person eats before bed. I'm guessing that people with RLS during the day would be able to stop the symptoms by drinking lots of water.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) is horrible. I have had it since 1984 approximately. I take Requip but it doesn't always help. It may act up anytime of the day or night. If I get up in the middle of the night I am unable to go back to sleep due to RLS. My legs hurt and jump so much I don't know how much more I can stand. There must be help somewhere.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My first episode of restless leg syndrome (RLS) was at age 24 when pregnant. I am now 64 and RLS has increased. It can begin during the day and worsen when in bed, wanting to sleep. I also have atrial fibrillation and left heart failure. No one in my maternal family experienced RLS. I recently met several paternal cousins and asked them if they suffer with RLS. Many do. One does not fly because it is so bad with her. She has been helped with costly acupuncture. Both male and female cousins suffer as well as their children. Two of my four daughters also suffer with RLS.

Comment from: yikes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I wonder if anyone else ever gets painful stretching feeling because of restless leg syndrome, where your toes try to go backwards and up your calf. I always got those spasms when I swam as a child and older.

Comment from: piria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

With restless leg syndrome my feet are hot and my thighs are burning. I have been walking 6 km at night for 4 to 5 days.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.